Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Opening Day 2012

All I can say is.. "OMG"!!!! Heritage Field is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Yankee fans who were there loved it, the children and parents of the community who were there yesterday loved it, everybody who was there yesterday was in awe over it!!!

I used to say that Heritage Field was a "win/win" situation for the South Bronx. Well, O take that back now.. It's a "win/win/win/win/win/win/win/win" situation!!!!
    It was so incredible to walk around (inside) this beautiful park, where Yankee legends of the past played in their pinstripes. (The goose bumps are finally going away this morning... lol)

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Opening Day 2012: Part 2

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Opening Day 2012: Part 3

Opening Day 2012: Part 4

Opening Day 2012: Part 5

Fortunately the small protest (very small) to have Babe Ruth Plaza be renamed Macombs Dam Park Plaza has not happened, I'm happy to say.. lol

Opening Day 2012: Part 6

Opening Day 2012: Part 7

Nice pics of Macombs Dam Park, DNL.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

It still kills me that the ballpark of my youth is gone. It has been gone for a few years now and I still have not stepped foot in the new place and I'm in no rush to. First I can't afford it but most important....it isn't the ballpark of my youth. Yes, things change and time marches on but if our mortal enemies the Boston Red Sox can play in a 100-year old stadium that seats 37,000, why couldn't my team continue to play in their stadium from 1921 & 1976 that held 56,000. The renovated Yankee Stadium was Heaven to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Nice pics of Macombs Dam Park, DNL.
    And that's the way it's going to stay forever.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    And that's the way it's going to stay forever.
    There's probably a "Heritage Field" somewhere down in the Tampa-St. Pete area, I'm guessing? That's where this corporate brand of "heritage" is owned and managed, anyway.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

There's probably a "Heritage Field" somewhere down in the Tampa-St. Pete area, I'm guessing? That's where this corporate brand of "heritage" is owned and managed, anyway.
    Please change the name of this thread to Macombs Dam Park, the politicians have spoken, the parks department have spoken and the people have spoken.

The signs don't lie.

What was built on both Macombs Dam Park sites since 2006 are just so inferior to it's predecessors in every possible way. Squeeze in three ball-fields with virtually no trees and too many walkways with no place to spend a day in the park unless you are there to play baseball. They cared more about a walkway to original Macombs Dam Park then building this smaller one.

No shade, no trees, no park, just a few slopes surrounding the fields, with cars all over the place behind it.
    Seems like it was designed for no one to go there unless it was to play baseball.
    Not good at all for the community.

IMG_2887.JPG

The NY Times cover up on Macombs Dam Park is getting more publicity:
    http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2012/...-heritage.html

All Is Swell and (Apparently Forgotten) In Yankee Replacement Park debacle According to the New York Times
    “Now nobody’s complaining,” - New York Times "kicker quote."
    http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.co...forgotten.html

"When I talked to her she was so effusive about how beautiful the parks were. It didn't matter what I said her article was already written. She was just so over the moon, so effusive. I don't think she understood. I went on and on and she didn't care." - Bronx Resident Joyce Hogi
    Last edited by WEB; 04-14-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Please change the name of this thread to Macombs Dam Park, the politicians have spoken, the parks department have spoken and the people have spoken.

The signs don't lie.

What was built on both Macombs Dam Park sites since 2006 are just so inferior to it's predecessors in every possible way. Squeeze in three ball-fields with virtually no trees and too many walkways with no place to spend a day in the park unless you are there to play baseball. They cared more about a walkway to original Macombs Dam Park then building this smaller one.

No shade, no trees, no park, just a few slopes surrounding the fields, with cars all over the place behind it.
    Seems like it was designed for no one to go there unless it was to play baseball.
    Not good at all for the community.

IMG_2887.JPG

The NY Times cover up on Macombs Dam Park is getting more publicity:
    http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2012/...-heritage.html

All Is Swell and (Apparently Forgotten) In Yankee Replacement Park debacle According to the New York Times
    “Now nobody’s complaining,” - New York Times "kicker quote."
    http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.co...forgotten.html

"When I talked to her she was so effusive about how beautiful the parks were. It didn't matter what I said her article was already written. She was just so over the moon, so effusive. I don't think she understood. I went on and on and she didn't care." - Bronx Resident Joyce Hogi

lmao..

The only, and I do mean only, problem I have with the design of this park is the blue lines on the field. Couldn't they have picked a less obtrusive way to outline the old stadium? The blue does tend to stick out a bit. Could they have possibly used dirt instead? Or a tiny swath of artificial turf or something like that? At least a different color other than blue. That's a bit jarring. Green, maybe?

Oh well. A minor nitpick in the end. Heritage Field is here, Yankee Stadium II is here, there's nothing any of you haters can do about it, so why not just clam up and accept what you've got? It's not as if there's a choice. It's there. It isn't going anywhere. Deal with it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The only, and I do mean only, problem I have with the design of this park is the blue lines on the field. Couldn't they have picked a less obtrusive way to outline the old stadium? The blue does tend to stick out a bit. Could they have possibly used dirt instead? Or a tiny swath of artificial turf or something like that? At least a different color other than blue. That's a bit jarring. Green, maybe?

Oh well. A minor nitpick in the end.
    Don't worry, with absolutely no money allocated to maintain the fields the blue lines will soon be gone replaced with----nothing.

The signs all say Macombs Dam Park they are not going anywhere so you will have to deal with it. I would not want to cross the street either,
    best to save your money.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-14-2012 at 03:24 PM.

I could really give a damn what the new park is called. Macombs, Heritage, WHO CARES?!?!? The important thing is that the park is there. What it is called, is really not relevant.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

What's it's called is very relevant, Macombs Dam Park has been in that community since 1899, it's a tradition of the entire neighborhood.

Of course if the corporation from Tampa wants to change the name on the taxpayers financed stadium to pay off their 1.5 billion dollars in bonds faster so the new Macombs Dam Park can be expanded, maintained and improved I would not care what corporate name they put on it.

The only place with shade is by the parking garage, it's almost twenty percent concrete walkways. Did a golf course designer create this with rough and another concrete moat for a walkway?

It's going to take the demolishing of that garage replaced by parkland to even come close to getting it right.
    P1140274.jpg
    Last edited by WEB; 04-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.

What's it's called is very relevant, Macombs Dam Park has been in that community since 1899, it's a tradition of the entire neighborhood.
    So they care more about the name than the park? Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    I could really give a damn what the new park is called. Macombs, Heritage, WHO CARES?!?!? The important thing is that the park is there. What it is called, is really not relevant.

Agreed..
    Whatever you want to call it, it's a thousand times better than what this community had six years ago, and like you said..
    IT'S HERE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a 35 year old man, I'm pretty damn jealous of those kids playing ball on that field.

P1140277.jpg

Don't worry, with absolutely no money allocated to maintain the fields the blue lines will soon be gone replaced with----nothing.
    with the big $$$'s being spent across the street at every opening, $1 from those walking thru (not mandatory) the park for upkeep would help - but not likely to happen. of course the tampa corporation would rather that you spend every $ in their place, not in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Paul W; 04-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    As a 35 year old man, I'm pretty damn jealous of those kids playing ball on that field.

P1140277.jpg

Lol..
    Yeah, I didn't come close to playing on a field like this one as a kid!
    Hey, the local kids had crap to play on for decades.. They deserve this incredible upgrade, after what they had..

The Yankee players should have a workout on the field every year for good luck, maybe even a exhibition game vs. a local team, Fordham maybe or even a HS team.

I'll say this about the design of the new Macombs Dam Park - it looks a lot better than the exterior of the building across the street, which is really quite ugly on the outside (the inner seating bowl is pretty nice, if you exclude the moat and centerfield).

You'll also note the actual field size is quite a bit smaller than the original Macombs Dam Park. Three outfields bleed into each other. As someone who's played in a few softball leagues in small quarters, that's no fun at all and a recipe for injury.

I'll say this about the design of the new Macombs Dam Park - it looks a lot better than the exterior of the building across the street, which is really quite ugly on the outside (the inner seating bowl is pretty nice, if you exclude the moat and centerfield).

Could not disagree more.

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast