Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 954

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

  1. #661
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    DN4L, your pictures are amazing, great job photographing Heritage Field! Can't wait to see more when the season starts.




    Thank you, ncyankeefan...

    I'll be sure to take more photos of Heritage Field, come springtime during Opening Day..
    Brought to you by... "The Best NYS Photog"..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  2. #662
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterfan View Post
    ...demolishing the House That Ruth Built...that generic ballpark I'm continuously reminded of what we lost and will never, ever get back.
    mlb is a business, the old stadium would not have been able to generate the income to keep up with what is now standard in the other generic mallparks, it's the way the biz is now, competitive balance is measured by talent acquired with $$$'s from the "weaker" franchises. neighborhoods effected by the chase of $$$'s are just collateral damage. the exclusivity of the availability of this park should not be a surprise, considering the present climate
    Last edited by Paul W; 02-21-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Kinda funny to see Macombs Dam Park signs on the backstops, while bloated NYS sits across the street on top of the old MDP.
    In addition to the Macombs Dam Park signage, bronze plaques have been imbedded within the pavers with the names of the "greats" that are responsible for the new Macombs Dam Park.......Bloomberg....Diaz.....Benepe...etc.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6

    Macombs Dam Park archives

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    The whole thing reminds me of Bizarro World - an attempt to create some kind of monument out of park land to a grand and historic Stadium that quite simply didn't have to be replaced. It's a closed off "public" space built to commemorate a brilliant and beloved city-owned building that was callously razed as part of a scheme to enrich a private business concern - a scheme, by the way, run by members of the exact Mayoral administration that hatched it, the same former public officials who now run the Yankees!
    I started following the "Steinbrenner threats" in the late 80's. I recently did a search for Macombs Dam Park and came across the following archives....A refresher course to what led to the "Bizarro World." Check out the link and all three pages.

    http://www.nytimes.com/keyword/macombs-dam-park


    "The plan was redrawn to meet the Yankees' desire to have a stadium along the lines of Camden Yards in Baltimore, a distinctive and self-contained entertainment park that is easy for fans to reach and has minimal intrusions from the outside world."

    "Improvements to the stadium itself, already discussed publicly, include about 100 luxury boxes and a new outer wall for the stadium that would copy the original facade of Yankee Stadium. Inside the stadium, concessions and shops would be upgraded in a new concourse area."


    http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/25/ny...um.html?src=pm
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 02-21-2012 at 04:39 AM.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    Mr Dunaier, the quality and respect for your well-known, outstanding photography speaks for itself.

    Thank You.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  6. #666
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    777
    I would love to know the feelings of Bronx residents (like myself) about the loss of glorious Macombs Dam Park. I had been there many times to run the track at the old park and I can tell you the park was in very bad repair. Certain elements of the community didn't leave the park in a timely manner so you had to make sure not to get there too early in the morning or you might disrupt the , shall we say, business that was taking place there.
    Free wide open parkland is a very rare commodity in this city and in the Bronx, it is even more rare.
    We can wish for more parks and pray they stay clean and graffiti free and undamaged by some of our wayward residents, but alas, this is the Bronx. One of the poorest counties in the USA. You can expect anything to happen here and 9 times out of 10 what happens ain't too good.
    I happen to think the new stadium was a good idea and the Heritage Field as well. Time will tell and we, the residents of the Bronx, will be the most effected by the park and how it effects our community.
    My concern for this community is genuine, because it is my community, I live here. I hope all who have expressed their feelings about Macombs Dam Park, genuinely give a damn about my community too.
    Last edited by YankeeFanBx; 02-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.

  7. #667
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,827

    What a beautiful running track for the local residents, and for visiting Yankee fans!

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanBx View Post
    I would love to know the feelings of Bronx residents (like myself) about the loss of glorious Macombs Dam Park. I had been there many times to run the track at the old park and I can tell you the park was in very bad repair. Certain elements of the community didn't leave the park in a timely manner so you had to make sure not to get there too early in the morning or you might disrupt the , shall we say, business that was taking place there.
    Free wide open parkland is a very rare commodity in this city and in the Bronx, it is even more rare.
    We can wish for more parks and pray they stay clean and graffiti free and undamaged by some of our wayward residents, but alas, this is the Bronx. One of the poorest counties in the USA. You can expect anything to happen here and 9 times out of 10 what happens ain't too good.
    I happen to think the new stadium was a good idea and the Heritage Field as well. Time will tell and we, the residents of the Bronx, will be the most effected by the park and how it effects our community.
    My concern for this community is genuine, because it is my community, I live here. I hope all who have expressed their feelings about Macombs Dam Park, genuinely give a damn about my community too.




    Excellent post, YankeeFanBx..

    I don't have any photos of the old, decrepit running track, but I'm sure it couldn't hold a candle to the new track that's located above the new parking garage..
    NYS and Heritage Field is a "win win" in every way..


    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  8. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    mlb is a business, the old stadium would not have been able to generate the income to keep up with what is now standard in the other generic mallparks, it's the way the biz is now, competitive balance is measured by talent acquired with $$$'s from the "weaker" franchises. neighborhoods effected by the chase of $$$'s are just collateral damage. the exclusivity of the availability of this park should not be a surprise, considering the present climate

    Respectfully it makes no sense whatsoever to write a franchise spending 200m dollars and more a year on baseball players, willing to take huge penalties for such an advantage, drawing close to four million fans were unable to generate the revenue now standard in the other generic mallparks in terms of revenue in 2008 and prior. Fenway Park is also proof of this in conjecture with the Red Sox spending.

    We agree the new Macombs Dam Park is a members-only club that will be entirely about exclusivity and nothing about what was promised.
    Last edited by WEB; 02-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.

  9. #669
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Excellent post, YankeeFanBx..

    I don't have any photos of the old, decrepit running track, but I'm sure it couldn't hold a candle to the new track that's located above the new parking garage..
    NYS and Heritage Field is a "win win" in every way..
    Broken Promises:

    The City’s Replacement Park Scheme For

    The New Yankee Stadium Project

    http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/

    http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/BrokenPromises.pdf

    (Macombs Dam Park - January 23, 2008) A Park No Longer. One Promise Kept. The
    last of the 109 year-old active recreational facilities in Macombs Dam park have been
    destroyed to make way for a 2-level, 2,391 car parking lot. When the garage is completed,
    plans call for the former verdant oasis to be converted to an artificial turf park
    on the garage’s rooftop.

    (Macombs Dam Park - July 2006) Natural Turf Ballfields. From filtering and cleaning
    the air to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and benzopyrene. The city is replacing
    natural turf grass – which produces oxygen, filters the air, helps mitigate stormwater
    runoff and cools down the earth – with petroleum based artificial turf that releases
    polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). This in the asthma capital of America.

    During the Summer of 2007, surface temperature readings taken on the adjacent
    interim park's artificial turf field regularly reached greater than 140 ˚. This product
    also contains numerous carcinogenic materials, and is the subject of intense public
    scrutiny around the world.


    stadium.large2.jpg
    Last edited by WEB; 02-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    Broken Promises:

    The City’s Replacement Park Scheme For

    The New Yankee Stadium Project

    http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/

    http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/BrokenPromises.pdf


    stadium.large2.jpg





    OMG!!! Look at that horrendous running track!!!!
    Thank God for NYS!!!!!!!!!!!
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  11. #671
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    Respectfully it makes no sense whatsoever to write a franchise spending 200m dollars and more a year on baseball players, willing to take huge penalties for such an advantage, drawing close to four million fans were unable to generate the revenue now standard in the other generic mallparks in terms of revenue in 2008 and prior. Fenway Park is also proof of this in conjecture with the Red Sox spending.

    We agree the new Macombs Dam Park is a members-only club that will be entirely about exclusivity and nothing about what was promised.
    I love how you can tell the Yankees how to run their successful business....they should hire you.

  12. #672
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    I started following the "Steinbrenner threats" in the late 80's. I recently did a search for Macombs Dam Park and came across the following archives....A refresher course to what led to the "Bizarro World." Check out the link and all three pages.

    http://www.nytimes.com/keyword/macombs-dam-park


    "The plan was redrawn to meet the Yankees' desire to have a stadium along the lines of Camden Yards in Baltimore, a distinctive and self-contained entertainment park that is easy for fans to reach and has minimal intrusions from the outside world."

    "Improvements to the stadium itself, already discussed publicly, include about 100 luxury boxes and a new outer wall for the stadium that would copy the original facade of Yankee Stadium. Inside the stadium, concessions and shops would be upgraded in a new concourse area."


    http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/25/ny...um.html?src=pm
    I don't know, but an renovation that extensive would probably have pushed me into the camp of RobR and D4NL and saying the renovation would have razed the old stadium too much. Tearing down the exterior walls to, etc would change it too much for me as well.

  13. #673
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    267
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    I love how you can tell the Yankees how to run their successful business....they should hire you.
    Considering the amount NYC taxpayers have been forced to pay to support the Yankees and their related businesses I think the people should have their say. Those who mocked my saying that the Yankees don't bring the area much money cite the prosperity of a couple of bars and a souvenir shop or two. Big deal!

    There is abundant evidence that major sports stadiums contribute to a net outflow of money from their locations. The persistent deterioration of Detroit, Cleveland, and the area around Dodger Stadium are cases in point. The jobs these places make available are low-paying and temporary.

    I guess one of my points is that private money built the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Fenway Park, etc., etc. I think that municipalities which invest in sports venues are kidding themselves. Places like the current Yankee Stadium are built, basically, on the backs of ordinary people, but the money doesn't go back to them.

  14. #674
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    I love how you can tell the Yankees how to run their successful business....they should hire you.
    They already did hire me, and all the people who paid taxes for this and MaCombs Dam Park.

    If they are so successful they should have paid for their own unnecessary stadium instead of hiring the taxpayers while they were out spending 500m dollars on Sabathtia, Texiara and Burnett the same week they ran to the City Council for hundreds of millions more of our money.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...x-free-bonds/2

    "You may want a new Yankee Stadium, or you may not. But whatever side you come down on, remember that it's your money that's going to build it. The Yankees are alone in insisting that it's Yankee money. Even NYC officials now admit the truth of what we've been saying, that taxpayer dollars are tearing down The House That Ruth Built and replacing it with The House That You Built.

    "Here's how they do it. The city sends the Yankees a property tax bill like everyone else gets. The Yankees write a check (about $70 million a year) to the city for that amount, just like everyone else. But next, unlike you or I, the city winks and sends that check to the Yankees' bankers to pay off the $1.4 billion mortgage, plus the $1.4 billion in interest on the new Stadium. You or I can't get that deal, but the Yankees did.

    "And they got a lot more. The got an additional $575 million directly to build parking garages and sewers and other stuff for the new Stadium. They don't have to pay sales tax and mortgage recording taxes that every other taxpayer pays and they get interest rate subsidies. That's an additional taxpayer subsidy of about $350 million.

    "And New York City now concedes that it's taxpayer money. The city IDA, in sworn statements, says, "The City has chosen to use its property taxes . to pay for the financing of the construction and operation of the Stadium." We dug those statements out after both the city and the Yankees put out press releases that repeated what we knew to be untrue about whose money was being spent.
    Last edited by WEB; 02-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.

  15. #675
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    If they are so successful they should have paid for their own unnecessary stadium.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...x-free-bonds/2

    "You may want a new Yankee Stadium, or you may not. But whatever side you come down on, remember that it's your money that's going to build it. The Yankees are alone in insisting that it's Yankee money. Even NYC officials now admit the truth of what we've been saying, that taxpayer dollars are tearing down The House That Ruth Built and replacing it with The House That You Built.

    "Here's how they do it. The city sends the Yankees a property tax bill like everyone else gets. The Yankees write a check (about $70 million a year) to the city for that amount, just like everyone else. But next, unlike you or I, the city winks and sends that check to the Yankees' bankers to pay off the $1.4 billion mortgage, plus the $1.4 billion in interest on the new Stadium. You or I can't get that deal, but the Yankees did.

    "And they got a lot more. The got an additional $575 million directly to build parking garages and sewers and other stuff for the new Stadium. They don't have to pay sales tax and mortgage recording taxes that every other taxpayer pays and they get interest rate subsidies. That's an additional taxpayer subsidy of about $350 million.

    "And New York City now concedes that it's taxpayer money. The city IDA, in sworn statements, says, "The City has chosen to use its property taxes . to pay for the financing of the construction and operation of the Stadium." We dug those statements out after both the city and the Yankees put out press releases that repeated what we knew to be untrue about whose money was being spent.






    If my tax dollars are going to be spent on something, I'd rather have them spent on the New York Yankees, than a lot of other things..
    SORRY TO ALL YOU YANKEE HATERS OUT THERE, BUT THANK GOD FOR NYS!!!!!!!!! :
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  16. #676
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dog River, SK
    Posts
    3,232
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    SORRY TO ALL YOU YANKEE HATERS OUT THERE, BUT THANK GOD FOR NYS!!!!!!!!!
    Seconded.

    Thank God for NYS and Heritage Field.

    So there.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

  17. #677
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Seconded.

    Thank God for NYS and Heritage Field.

    So there.


    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  18. #678
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    They already did hire me, and all the people who paid taxes for this and MaCombs Dam Park.

    If they are so successful they should have paid for their own unnecessary stadium instead of hiring the taxpayers while they were out spending 500m dollars on Sabathtia, Texiara and Burnett the same week they ran to the City Council for hundreds of millions more of our money.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...x-free-bonds/2

    "You may want a new Yankee Stadium, or you may not. But whatever side you come down on, remember that it's your money that's going to build it. The Yankees are alone in insisting that it's Yankee money. Even NYC officials now admit the truth of what we've been saying, that taxpayer dollars are tearing down The House That Ruth Built and replacing it with The House That You Built.

    "Here's how they do it. The city sends the Yankees a property tax bill like everyone else gets. The Yankees write a check (about $70 million a year) to the city for that amount, just like everyone else. But next, unlike you or I, the city winks and sends that check to the Yankees' bankers to pay off the $1.4 billion mortgage, plus the $1.4 billion in interest on the new Stadium. You or I can't get that deal, but the Yankees did.

    "And they got a lot more. The got an additional $575 million directly to build parking garages and sewers and other stuff for the new Stadium. They don't have to pay sales tax and mortgage recording taxes that every other taxpayer pays and they get interest rate subsidies. That's an additional taxpayer subsidy of about $350 million.

    "And New York City now concedes that it's taxpayer money. The city IDA, in sworn statements, says, "The City has chosen to use its property taxes . to pay for the financing of the construction and operation of the Stadium." We dug those statements out after both the city and the Yankees put out press releases that repeated what we knew to be untrue about whose money was being spent.
    Yes, many business' get deals like that all over the country...you may not like it. I do not solely blame the corporations or sports teams for taking special deals when offered, surprise they are looking out for themselves first. It happens where I live as well. Your problem really lies with the politicians/city leaders in your area, not the Yankees.
    I'm sure there are many things, wasteful things you pay taxes for, but you are singling out this cause only. To say you are "hired" by the Yankees because you pay taxes is an incorrect use of the word.
    However I do respect your opposition, everyone is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs.

  19. #679
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,726
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    If my tax dollars are going to be spent on something, I'd rather have them spent on the New York Yankees, than a lot of other things.
    It's my understanding that you live on Long Island. If this is true, none of your tax dollars go to the Yankees.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

  20. #680
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for sharing another great photo Gary (even if it is the Mets at Shea Stadium) and congrats on a great catch!
    Regarding paying taxes for the Yankees, if 55% of Americans today do NOT pay Federal Income Tax than exactly who is paying?
    Could it be the people sitting in the moat or in the luxury seats? With all the waste, graft and theft I'd rather see my taxes go into New Yankee Stadium than into some politicians' pockets.

Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •