Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The SNY/WPIX graphics bar

Blog Entries
    Nearly two years ago, I began this thread to call attention to the awkward design of the Mets' on-screen graphics. As we head into the third season since beginning the thread, it seems they still don't get it.

The team logos are still unnecessarily cropped within frames, while the home plate graphic remains, sticking out below the frame like a sore thumb. A sore thumb that I think should be amputated, for there's no need at all for a home plate graphic. I mean, there are three bases on which a runner may stand waiting to advance. No one stands on home plate waiting for the batter to advance to the next base. As such, the home plate graphic is never lit up, rendering it completely useless.

Please note: I'm not bumping this thread for further discussion of how we miss the old minimal-graphic days. Graphics bars are here to stay. And I apologize for bringing up this point at least once a year. Call it a character flaw. It merely irks me season after season there have been no changes to the ridiculously incongruous graphics during Met game telecasts on SNY or WPIX.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

ITA. And what really galls me is how these scorestrips double as advertising flash animations.
    NBCSports Network (nee OLN, then Versus) animates their scoreboard every so often promoting upcoming shoes, etc. They all do it. On power plays in hockey the scoreboard doubles in size as we're informed that Baierl automotive is sponsoring the latest power play. Then they'll splash animated promos of previews along the bottom, right where the puck is.

I loved it when the only thing they would show was an inlay of the stadium's scoreboard clock or something in the lower right corner.

Anyone here old enough to remember at the end of every half inning they would show the stadium's scoreboard instead of a generic graphics panel (with ads of course)?
    Channel 9 WOR in NY did that in the 70's and you got a feel for each stadium's scoreboard. And hey - they used to air the national anthems too.

*sigh*

I don't know why the logos are cropped but I think to make it look cool. I don't mind it. I know NBC, CBS and ABC does it. FOX used to do it.

Am i the only one that liked the "Stadic noise" followed by "sound effects of number?" that would happen if there was a home run on FOX? I used to love that.
    Last edited by nycthebest14345; 03-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Craig Robinson, an English baseball fan and graphic artist, has an infographic on scorebugs.

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflo...scorebugs.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Craig Robinson, an English baseball fan and graphic artist, has an infographic on scorebugs.

http://www.flipflopflyin.com/flipflo...scorebugs.html
    Thanks for that link, Blue. It appears that this is primarily an SNY design (Mets & Phillies). Most others have no home plate, which looks great, or a minor pixelation for home. If I were to be given the choice of doing away with the logos in order to do away with the home plate, I'd opt for it in a hot New York minute, especially if they insist on leaving the logos cropped.

What I find most difficult to believe is that no one of authority has taken aside the SNY design team and told them to change the configuration. Certainly, I can't be the only one who finds this trivial issue worthy of calls, letters, emails, blogs, etc. Until it's changed, my pet peeve of cropped logos and a huge home plate will remain. After all, at this point, it's merely one more dissatisfaction I have with Sterling Equities, Inc.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Has anyone else noticed the new graphics bar on SNY?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20289687
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Yep. Looks like we're moving back to the upper left corner again. Fox started the full-width banner board in the early 2000's and now we're back to (literally) square one.

As for SNY I wish they'd darken the unlit dots/bases. The contrast is too low to make it readily visible. And now since they're left-justifying the box (great on 16:9 TVs) if you watch SNY on an old 4:3 TV set you lose the road team's score due to cropping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the new graphics bar on SNY?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20289687
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
    Yep. Looks like we're moving back to the upper left corner again. Fox started the full-width banner board in the early 2000's and now we're back to (literally) square one.

As for SNY I wish they'd darken the unlit dots/bases. The contrast is too low to make it readily visible. And now since they're left-justifying the box (great on 16:9 TVs) if you watch SNY on an old 4:3 TV set you lose the road team's score due to cropping.
    I noticed this yesterday when the Mets were playing the Braves that the graphics bar had changed to one of the more popular configurations. I didn't want to post until today, though, just in case it was a temporary fluke. It still may be a ST thing, but this is a very promising sign, since they've now done it at least two games in a row.

I'm beginning to think someone at SNY reads this forum! They've finally eliminated the cropped logos AND home plate!

milladrive 1, SNY 0. (...Okay, so I'm overreacting a little about such trivia, heh, but this pleases me to no end.)

P.S. The 16:9 ratio is now in the majority of households that watch sports, as the 4:3 continues to be rendered obsolete. In fact, maybe some of those who'd been putting off getting a 16:9 will now have yet another reason to make the investment. I suggest, Frank, that an adjustment to your TV's contrast may help your visual quality.

Put it in the books.

So in the later 90's early 2000's it was a small square in the corner of the T.V
    then in the mid to late 2000's it was a long bar on top of the T.V for Football, baseball and hockey. Bottom for basketball
    Now its the square again, at least for ESPN, SNY and FOX. Won't be surprised to see MSG, NBC, ESPN(for NBA and NFL) and ABC doing the "square" again.

As long as they don't do what ESPN did for a season of MNF - they had this huge scoreblob centered in the lower part of the screen, right where the wide receivers would line up at the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, that did look very silly

Picture 1.png

Blog Entries
    Well, it seems someone with some brains is now in charge of the Mets TV graphics. Not only did they finally get ride of that years-old cross-screen bar with unnecessary features, but now that they're using the more standard graphic box at the top left of the screen, they've even gotten rid of the ball-four and strike-three dots.

I didn't even complain about that, since I was just so elated that they changed the format, ridding the bar of the home plate and the cropped logos. But within a week of the inaugural use of the upper left box, the dots representing ball four and strike three have vanished. And rightfully so, since they're as useless as the home plate.

So, as petty as it sounds, it's just nice to know there's someone in charge of the graphics with some common sense. Something tells me Bill Webb had something to do with these changes. If so, thank you, Mr. Webb!

Put it in the books.

Blog Entries
    Kicking an old thread, but I didn't wanna start a new one for just a passing comment.

I couldn't help noticing the new overhaul to the graphic box. The jury's is still out on it, but at least they didn't get stupid again.

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    I couldn't help noticing the new overhaul to the graphic box. The jury's is still out on it, but at least they didn't get stupid again.
    I don't like the use of the team logos, and some of the numerals are smaller than I'd like (tho' maybe that's just me getting old.)

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Kicking an old thread, but I didn't wanna start a new one for just a passing comment.
    That's the sort of wisdom that encouraged the powers that be to select you as Moderator. And you also knew enough not to say you were "pushing" an old thread, because if you did that some yutz probably would have reposnded with this:

X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Also they finally moved the box & logo out of the old 4:3 "protected area" and into the far corners of the 16:9 picture. Nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12