Thread: Philly sports writers...lmfao

Not a big deal considering pretty much every local writer is either insanely down on the competition or beating up their own team. Most beat writers know very little about other teams except from looking at stats and cherry picking certain stats that might make them look better (and at times the stats are wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ford
    Beyond Hudson, Atlanta's staff includes talented young Jair Jurrjens who is just back from the disabled list and carrying around a 4.75 ERA. Kris Medlen had a good first half of the season, but he has just 15 career starts and how he will hold up is unknown. There is Derek Lowe, who won Sunday to go 10-8, but with another ERA over four runs per game. There is Tommy Hanson , also just above .500 and another ERA over four runs. Perhaps on a given day, with one given game to win, Tim Hudson would be a problem, but there isn't much separating the starting staff from that of the Phillies.
    Stupid is the best word for this there is a huge difference.

Hudson and Halladay are the aces of these teams so lets leave them out of it.

Jair and Hamels are similar pitchers as they are both young with room to improve, he overlooks the fact his high ERA is due to a terrible March and April which shows some of the aforementioned cherry picking.

Hanson and Blanton are the next up with it not looking to good for the Phillies. Blanton is a 4.00 ERA guy that is more likely to be closer to 5.00 then the 4.05 he put up last year. Hanson on the other hand is much closer to a 3.50 ERA type then his current numbers, add that to the fact Hanson can shut down a team's offense when he lives up to his potential (something Blanton is lacking) and you have a huge gap between the two in talent.

Moyer and Lowe are likely the 4th starters once again it isn't looking. Moyer is a guy that is just getting by, he gets a lot more credit for what he is doing at his age but it is still not quality production. Moyer overall is much closer to his 2009 numbers then 2008. Lowe has been a big money disaster but has started to show signs of life, as he has improved every single month of the the 2010 season. He is starting to walk less people while getting a few more strikeouts. While he is still like closer to a high 3.00 or low 4.00 guy it is better then the high 4.00 or low 5.00 type of pitcher that Moyer is.

Medlen for Kendrick/Carpenter is a clear win for Medlen because even if he is an unknown this late in the season because so far Kendrick has for the most part stunk and Carpenter is a rookie who is a complete unknown in production at the major league level.

He mentions the bullpen where he has only conjecture to backup his point of perhaps Wagner and Lidge will be equal at the end of the year failing to mention their bullpen as a whole is about average at best.

His stats about the offense is also cherry picking as he only mentions the fact they are 12th in the league in SLG% but fails to note that they are 6th in BA and 1st in OBP. His article on a whole is your typical crap from a beat writer trying to be insightful on other teams but failing to grasp any real concepts of the team they are trying to write about.

Edit :: I will note even if I think the Braves have a team that can beat the Phillies I still think they are a serious threat.

Edit :: 2 Rarely do I link to Mark Bradley but he does the same thing I did which is pick apart Ford's terrible article and make him look completely stupid. (usually Bradley is making himself look stupid)
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 07-20-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

too bad, i don't think we will have to worry about facing the phils in the playoffs. I just don't see the WC coming out of the east. It's either gonna be cincy/st. louis (cause the rest of that division is really bad) or from the west (which has a much deeper division).

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    too bad, i don't think we will have to worry about facing the phils in the playoffs. I just don't see the WC coming out of the east. It's either gonna be cincy/st. louis (cause the rest of that division is really bad) or from the west (which has a much deeper division).
    I think it will come out of the Central mainly because the West is going to beat each other up and if I am being honest unless the Braves fall to 2nd I don't think it will come out of the East.
    Extend Prado!!!