Thread: Delorimier Stadium - Montreal QC

Delorimier Stadium - Montreal QC

I had a book about the history of the Montreal Royals baseball team (the one that Jackie Robinson played for before being called up by the Brooklyn Dodgers) and I had read about their ballpark, Delorimier Stadium, which was torn down between 1969-1971, IIRC.

What were the dimensions down the lines and in center field? I believe it was 341 ft. down the left field line, 421 ft. to center, and 293 ft. to right.

Also, does anyone know about the heights of the walls?

MontrealStadiumAER.jpgstadiumLorimier.jpgdeormier outside.jpg

Here are some pics of Old Delormier stadium in Montreal. It was torn down in 1960. Many today say that if it was still around in 1969 when the Expos came into the league, it may be still in use today. It seated 20000. With seats in the bleacher sections, a small upper deck, and luxury suits added, It would resemble something like what Fenway did through out the years.

whoa...that was one sweet looking stadium

Cool place, the outside looks like those old basketball arenas like chicago stadium.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Reminded me of slugger field in Louisville upon first glance

There is some beautiful color footage of Delormier Stadium in the HBO documentary "When It Was A Game".
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

Blog Entries
    Those are some awesome pics of that wonderful ballpark. Thanks much, CCG, for finding and sharing them!
    Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Those are some awesome pics of that wonderful ballpark. Thanks much, CCG, for finding and sharing them!
    No problem! I appreciate all the work you've put into the quick search, I wouldn't have found this thread if it wasn't for that useful index...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Capital City Goofball View Post
    No problem! I appreciate all the work you've put into the quick search, I wouldn't have found this thread if it wasn't for that useful index...
    That's one of the nicest things anyone has said to me in a long time. Thank you for that recognition, sir!

That mascot clown reminds me of Emmett Kelly, Brooklyn's mascot. Very similar "Weary Willie" looks and facial features.
    Put it in the books.

Programme for a soccer friendly played at the stadium (Thanks to Celtic Programmes Online for the image)

wow awesome

My understanding is that the Montreal school board bought the facility in 1967 and began converting it into a school. As one of the above photos shows, it was also wedged into an area that offered little parking.

yup. a high school sits on that site now

I read in that same book that I had about Montreal Royals baseball that the Montreal Alouettes of what is now the CFL played some games at Delormier Stadium. However, the pitcher's mound was not leveled when the park was used for football. OUCH!!

Wow what a great park!
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Seeing these pictures makes me want to slap Jeffery Loria and Bud Selig even harder.

Very cool park. That's the one thing about the "classic" stadiums that I've always loved and that's the brick and mortar facade around the outside. Fits in very nicely with the buildings around it. Quite stately looking.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Seeing these pictures makes me want to slap Jeffery Loria and Bud Selig even harder.
    bud-dy dealt with a situation of weak local ownership, after bronfman there wasn't anyone (a single strong owner)
    who stepped up
    . this made the path out easy for bud-dy.
    no different that leaving an exposed home window open and then complaining that you've been robbed.
    loria was his beard, waiting for the marlins, his ultimate goal.
    Last edited by Paul W; 05-02-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...