Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 Dodger season thread

Offseason moves to make if YOU are the GM?

Okay, so it's officially time for Ned and Don to try and improve the team for the '11 season. What do the faithful Dodgers fanatics here on BBF think needs to happen? Does Loney stay or go? Can Martin make it all the way back to being great behind the dish and better than average when hitting? Can the Dodgers afford a true stud starting pitcher to take some heat off of C-Bill and Kershaw? What other needs would you like to see addressed?

I, for one, would mourn the loss of Loney, as I believe he's a great player and a great team guy. However, how nice would it be to get an average and power guy at 1B? If he stays, then I would like to see Blake go for power at 3B. Love Casey as well, but things need to change so the team can begin scoring runs on a consistent basis and take some pressure off of the SP that always seem to need to throw a gem to have a chance to win.
    Again, I love Russell, but he is not the player of old, and it may be time for a change. I at least see the need for a better back-up option.

Your thoughts? I would love to see this thread stay alive over the long, cold winter. (At least that is what is in store for me here in IN).
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

I'd like to see Ned & Donnie make a strong play to sign at least one of these guys:

Porter would be a solid #2 behind Martin, and who wouldn't want to see Rodriguez back in Dodger Blue?
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Seriously, I'd rather not go another off-season posting to myself on this thread; anyone out there care to chime in on what you'd like to see the Dodgers accomplish this winter? Not that the owners are going to actually help to accomplish anything productive, but we can all speculate, right?

Or, is it too early? I understand if everyone is caught up in the Lakers, Bruins, Trojans, etc.

Nice to have Kuroda back, as I have always felt he is a guy that will give Quality Starts more often than not from the #4 slot. Based on this quote from Mr. Colletti, I do hope that the intention is to really seek out the best-possible #5 SP this winter. Hope this isn't simply lip service!

From dodgers.com: Kuroda is likely to slide in as the fourth starter behind Kershaw, Billingsley and Lilly, who recently signed a three-year, $33 million deal to remain with the Dodgers. Colletti called retaining Lilly and Kuroda his two priority targets heading into the winter.

"We have financial flexibility," Colletti said in a conference call when asked about making another move to sign an established fifth starter. "There's a possibility. Until we have it, we don't have it. It's on the list."

Barajas is most likely gone for good, so if A.J. Ellis isn't the answer, who is the catcher the Dodgers need to sign to backup Martin? And here's hoping Martin makes it all the way back from his hip injury. I still CANNOT wrap my brain around the fact that he didn't slide!!

And 3B? Looked up Blake's contract, and he is signed through next season with an option for '12 (if I read correctly). I love Casey; plays hard, good teammated, well-liked by Mattingly and teammates from what I have read, but we need a "Beltre-type" at 3B. Speaking of Adrian, I wish we could sign him for 2 years, but I believe he will be out of the Dodgers' price range.

And, of course, the quest for a fifth starter continues . . . Carl Pavano, Freddy Garcia, Aaron Harang, Brandon Webb? Maybe a lefty? Pettitte or Lee?

So . . . any thoughts on the situations involving C, 3B, or SP #5??

Happy Thanksgiving!

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

I guess the Dodgers have answered the #5 SP question with Jon Garland, althought I see him more as #3 or #4 with Lilly as #5. I don't think that Honeycutt will label any of them permanently until springtime. I like this addition, and look at Garland as he has averaged 32 starts and 200+ IP each of his nine full seasons in MLB.
    Been on DL only one time, so he's infinitely more durable than Padilla, who I thought I was sorry to see go, but now am not concerned about!

Here's hoping the winter meetings can open some doors for catching and 3B help. I don't know, maybe the Dodgers are not looking to move Blake . . . ?

This details a bit of what Colletti is thinking as he heads to the Winter Meetings. No mention of trying to find a new 3B. Is it just me? As I have posted in the past, I like Casey Blake, but maybe there's more to be had out there in Free Agent Land? .248/.727, 17 HR, 64 RBI isn't really eye-popping for a corner spot, and with Loney not being a power guy either, I believe the Dodgers can do better. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe the plan (unspoken at this time by Colletti) is to trade Loney for more pop. Additionally, I love Russell Martin, but who knows where he'll be by Opening Day; he is yet to do much running according to reports of his rehab on the Dodgers' site.

Anyone else care to share their feelings on what Colletti and the Dodgers really need to focus on at Winter Meetings? For me it is, in order: 3B, C (back up to pair with or supercede Ellis), pitching.

Question Barajas signs for '11 - "Outside The Box" catching/3B idea

Okay, so the Dodgers have signed Barajas through next season, with Martin still floating around in "non-tendered land" at this point. Knowing that Martin was, not long ago, an infielder, how about something like this happening:
    1.) Barajas becomes the everyday guy behind the plate, Ellis backs him up as needed
    2.) Blake is traded to the Angels for Hank Conger (young, up-and-comer; ready to be groomed by a veteran like Barajas)
    3.) Martin plays 3B.

I said "outside the box"!

Quote Originally Posted by bhss89 View Post

This details a bit of what Colletti is thinking as he heads to the Winter Meetings. No mention of trying to find a new 3B. Is it just me? As I have posted in the past, I like Casey Blake, but maybe there's more to be had out there in Free Agent Land? .248/.727, 17 HR, 64 RBI isn't really eye-popping for a corner spot, and with Loney not being a power guy either, I believe the Dodgers can do better.
    Blake's well worth it. 3.1 WAR at third base is nothing to laugh at. However, the big gun out there is one Adrian Beltre wih a 6.1 WAR last season. The Dodgers have a third basemen that's enough better than the average to not hinder a team trying to win a championship, but yes, if they wanted to they could really aim for the skies and turn what's usually a weak offensive position into a monster one by signing someone like Beltre.
    1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

1889 1890 1899 1900 1916 1920
    1941 1947 1949 1952 1953 1956
    1966 1974 1977 1978

1983 1985 1995 2004 2008 2009
    2013 2014

1996 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Blake's well worth it. 3.1 WAR at third base is nothing to laugh at. However, the big gun out there is one Adrian Beltre wih a 6.1 WAR last season. The Dodgers have a third basemen that's enough better than the average to not hinder a team trying to win a championship, but yes, if they wanted to they could really aim for the skies and turn what's usually a weak offensive position into a monster one by signing someone like Beltre.
    I actually found Blake to be at 6.1 in '09 here: http://www.baseballprojection.com/war/b/blakc001.htm, so I believe his 3.1 this past season is a sign of things to come. I am not trying to say that IMO the Dodgers must trade up at 3B, but it does seem to me that it would've been at least a minor concern. I would be happy with a younger 3B who has a long future ahead of him with room to improve. However, if Casey is again the 3B, jere's hoping that he once again approach the level at which he played in '09. And I will certainly support him, as I believe he's a great team guy and plays hard every day.

I wonder if the Dodgers will make any moves at the winter meetings?

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    Wish the Dodgers could afford Beltre back but with Borass as his agent, I don't see it. I would hate it if Adrian goes to the Angels.
    I wish 2011 would be Loney's breakout year but every year we keep waiting for this. Hopefully 2011.
    Blake seems like a nice team player but I want more power there.
    I wish Colletti would stay away from so many veteran scrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by crzblue View Post
    Wish the Dodgers could afford Beltre back but with Borass as his agent, I don't see it. I would hate it if Adrian goes to the Angels.
    I wish 2011 would be Loney's breakout year but every year we keep waiting for this. Hopefully 2011.
    Blake seems like a nice team player but I want more power there.
    I wish Colletti would stay away from so many veteran scrubs.
    This article http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la seems to indicate that the signing of RP Guerrier will greatly limit the pursuit of a "name" LF, with Gibbons, Gwynn, Paul, Carrol, Hoffman, Robinson, etc. to battle it out in Spring Training.

I am hopeful that Mattingly will allow the same to happen between Blake and Mitchell at the 3B spot. Mitchell was tough at Albuquerque this past season. Again, I hope that Blake's drop in WAR from '09 to '10 of 3 points (significant) is not a sign of things to come, if in fact he does stay put at 3B.

The "new" pitching staff looks solid and ready to go! If Broxton rebounds and remains calm all season, pitching and defense should be outstanding. Now . . . the team needs to score some runs!

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    bhss89 said "Now . . . the team needs to score some runs! "

Or else we are in trouble.

I noticed that I mispelled Boras name. Honest, I just noticed that !

Quote Originally Posted by crzblue View Post
    bhss89 said "Now . . . the team needs to score some runs! "

Or else we are in trouble.

I noticed that I mispelled Boras name. Honest, I just noticed that !
    Considering the way you had it spelled, I thought you'd done it on purpose! Pretty funny error!

LF situation . . .

http://mlb.mlblogs.com/archives/2010...eft_field.html

Good gravy, let's hope that Thames is the only one mentioned in the article that the Dodgers will seriously consider! If you scroll down and read the posts, I like what the first one says: Sign Beltre and then let a Spring Training battle decide what happens in LF.

GO DODGERS!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123