• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyrus4189Cobb
    Gator wrastler
    • May 2007

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
    Tyrus, it's your draft and you should make the rules. However, in a number of drafts I've been in in the past we've set a 9 pitcher minimum. That ensures that no one will do something really ridiculous like draft 4 pitchers- it also allows some flexibility. If a guy wants 11 pitchers, that's his call. What do you think?
    I want to keep these teams as flexible as possible. In reality, an owner could build his team around a two-man pitching staff if he so chose. The playoffs will involve subjective judging (by us) of our final teams. I doubt someone who stocks up 10 relievers and two starters will go far.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• Wade8813
      The Dark Knight = Amazing
      • Jul 2006

What do we do about players who weren't with one team long enough? Do they not qualify at all? (Like Teixeira, who's about 7 games short of being a Ranger )
      Last edited by Wade8813; 02-23-2011, 12:28 AM.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• ian2813
        야구
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Wade8813 View Post
        What do we do about players who weren't with one team long enough? Do they not qualify at all? (Like Teixeira, who's about 7 games short of being a Ranger )
        I presume they just don't qualify. It's all part of the challenge. There are several big-name players who won't be eligible because they either didn't spend 700 games with any one franchise (e.g. Gary Sheffield) or they spent the majority of their career with post-1969 expansion teams (e.g. Randy Johnson).
        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• BigRon
          • Jan 2009

Isn't that why there are cutoffs? Every number is arbitrary in a way, but if we start sliding a little, where do we place the boundary? If Teixeira, perhaps someone will find someone who was 16 games short of 700, or 12 games short of 400 at a position. Ty should tell us, but I think a cutoff should be a cutoff.

Comment

• No Roids
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
            Isn't that why there are cutoffs? Every number is arbitrary in a way, but if we start sliding a little, where do we place the boundary? If Teixeira, perhaps someone will find someone who was 16 games short of 700, or 12 games short of 400 at a position. Ty should tell us, but I think a cutoff should be a cutoff.
            +1 for me here.
            If guys dont qualify, they dont qualify, plain and simple!
            The idea here is to create a challenge and limit the player pool. Otherwise, every draft is the same using the same player pool-everyone who's ever played MLB level baseball

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
              Gator wrastler
              • May 2007

Originally posted by No Roids View Post
              +1 for me here.
              If guys dont qualify, they dont qualify, plain and simple!
              The idea here is to create a challenge and limit the player pool. Otherwise, every draft is the same using the same player pool-everyone who's ever played MLB level baseball
              Bingo. As BigRon said, a cutoff is a cutoff. Some players just won't make it.

The good news: RuthMayBond and Buzzaldrin contacted me. RuthMayBond will be participating, meaning we can start! I will PM everyone to get us ready. I plan on starting tomorrow, Thursday, Feb 24th. The rest will be summed up in the message.

Comment

• Wade8813
                • Jul 2006

We should allow people to start picking now - just don't start anybody's clock until tomorrow.
                Last edited by Wade8813; 02-23-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Wade8813
                  • Jul 2006

Another question - I know LF/RFers are interchangeable. Can CFers also play corner OF?

Do we give credit for time in the NeL for players that played there and for MLB?
                  Last edited by Wade8813; 02-23-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                    Gator wrastler
                    • May 2007

Another question - I know LF/RFers are interchangeable. Can CFers also play corner OF?

Do we give credit for time in the NeL for players that played there and for MLB?
                    MLB stats only. Sure, CF can play anywhere in OF.

Comment

• Chadwick
                      Chasing Cooperstown
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                      8) Out 25th roster slot is a wild card that goes to any player who qualifies with at least 300 games for a team non-existent with the 24 ones in 1969. (Dan Brouthers with the Buffalo Bisons; 439 games).
                      1. Does this mean 300 games total between all defunct teams the player played for or 300 games with one specific defunct team?

2. How does this square with the 400 game minimum at a given position. Can the "defunct team player" be any position? Is there a lower min. games threshold for this player to qualify for a specific position?

3. How many minimum games are required if the "defunct team player" is a pitcher?

4. Must relievers be represented? May relievers be represented? There was some differing points of view on this in the last draft. Are there minimum eligibility requirements for reliever roles?
                      "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                      "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                      "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                      "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Wade8813
                        • Jul 2006

If someone played a lot of games for both a defunct franchise and a modern franchise, can we use that player for either?

Comment

• ian2813
                          야구
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Brad Harris View Post
                          1. Does this mean 300 games total between all defunct teams the player played for or 300 games with one specific defunct team?

2. How does this square with the 400 game minimum at a given position. Can the "defunct team player" be any position? Is there a lower min. games threshold for this player to qualify for a specific position?

3. How many minimum games are required if the "defunct team player" is a pitcher?

4. Must relievers be represented? May relievers be represented? There was some differing points of view on this in the last draft. Are there minimum eligibility requirements for reliever roles?
                          Not to usurp Tyrus' position, but here's how I see these questions based on the discussions we've had:

1. In the first post it says "at least 300 games for a team non-existent with the 24 ones in 1969," so I take that to mean the answer is one specific defunct team.

2. I think the purpose of the 25th roster spot is to include 19th-Century stars who bounced around a lot due to the instability of the era. Since the best players managed to have lengthy careers despite their teams folding, I'd say the 400 game positional minimum should still apply.

3. Since pitchers had larger workloads in the 19th Century, I think 300 games is still a good cutoff.

4. Tyrus said in post #31 that he wants to keep things flexible, so I'm guessing you could choose a staff of all starters if you wanted.

If I'm wrong on any of these, feel free to correct me, Ty.
                          Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Chadwick
                            Chasing Cooperstown
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                            3. Since pitchers had larger workloads in the 19th Century, I think 300 games is still a good cutoff.
                            Except that pitchers have a 200 game cutoff, right?
                            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                              Gator wrastler
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                              Not to usurp Tyrus' position, but here's how I see these questions based on the discussions we've had:

1. In the first post it says "at least 300 games for a team non-existent with the 24 ones in 1969," so I take that to mean the answer is one specific defunct team.

2. I think the purpose of the 25th roster spot is to include 19th-Century stars who bounced around a lot due to the instability of the era. Since the best players managed to have lengthy careers despite their teams folding, I'd say the 400 game positional minimum should still apply.

4. Tyrus said in post #31 that he wants to keep things flexible, so I'm guessing you could choose a staff of all starters if you wanted.

If I'm wrong on any of these, feel free to correct me, Ty.
                              Hey, I ought to let you run things

Put let's keep it 200 games for 19th century pitchers.

Comment

• No Roids
                                • Jan 2011

I think there was one part of the original question that went unanswered- how can do we handle guys who played enough games PRIOR to 1900 and also qualify with a post-1900 "modern day" franchise?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X