Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • No Roids
    • Jan 2011

I dont think it'll really matter John- the OP seems to have vanished!

I'd love to try this though!

Comment

• Wade8813
      The Dark Knight = Amazing
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by No Roids View Post
      I sent a PM to the originator of this thread a few days ago and I havent heard back from him.

Would it be considered bad form to pick up the idea and run with it without him?
      It's been long enough, you can go ahead and do this. Or we could just do a different draft instead, and leave this one for him.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
        Gator wrastler
        • May 2007

Guess who's back? Sorry for my absence. I'd have no problem conducting the draft or letting No Roids do it. I'll see what you guys think.
        "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• BigRon
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
          Guess who's back? Sorry for my absence. I'd have no problem conducting the draft or letting No Roids do it. I'll see what you guys think.
          Why don't you go for it, Ty? It was your idea.

Comment

• No Roids
            • Jan 2011

Since the originator of the concept is back with us, its only fair that he run his own draft the way he intended it to be run.

I definitely want to participate in it regardless. The timing of the picks might be problematic depending on my work schedule but this sounds like a really cool concept!

One question-even though we are not restricted by any specific era, how do we handle pre-NL franchises?
            Last edited by No Roids; 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
              Gator wrastler
              • May 2007

One question-even though we are not restricted by any specific era, how do we handle pre-NL franchises?
              How's about we designate the teams to those existent in the modern game?
              AL-
              St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles
              Boston Red Sox
              Washington Senators/Texas Rangers
              Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins
              New York Yankees
              Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics
              Kansas City Royals
              Chicago White Sox
              Seattle Pilots/Milwaukee Brewers
              Cleveland Indians
              California/Los Angeles/Anaheim Angels
              Detroit Tigers

NL-
              New York Mets
              Chicago Cubs
              Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves
              New York/San Francisco Giants
              Pittsburgh Pirates
              Cincinnati Reds
              St. Louis Cardinals
              Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers
              Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals
              Houston Colt .45s/Astros
              San Diego Padres
              Philadelphia Phillies

Sound good? However, players can be picked from any timeframe.

For those who played a majority of games from unmentioned teams, our 25th roster slot could be a wild card that goes to any player who qualifies with at least 300 games for another team (Dan Brouthers with the Buffalo Bisons; 439 games).

Comment

• No Roids
                • Jan 2011

Sounds like a plan!

One more editorial- The Yankees played as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901-1902 and the St Louis Browns/modern day Orioles started out as the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers.
                I doubt there are many players who would fulfill the GP requirement from those early incarnations but you never know.

Comment

• ian2813
                  야구
                  • Dec 2009

Sure, I'd still be interested in doing this.
                  Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Wade8813
                    • Jul 2006

I'm still up for it. I'm gonna have to do so much baseball research, because I'm also preparing for two fantasy baseball leagues with very different rules from each other...

Sounds like a plan!

One more editorial- The Yankees played as the Baltimore Orioles in 1901-1902 and the St Louis Browns/modern day Orioles started out as the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers.
                    I doubt there are many players who would fulfill the GP requirement from those early incarnations but you never know.
                    We're counting them as a franchise, so if they played some of their games for the Orioles/Yankees, their time with either team counts because they were the same franchise

Comment

• ian2813
                      야구
                      • Dec 2009

I still have some questions:

1. Is there a requirement for the way we distribute the players at each position? Do we have to have a certain number of pitchers or bench players?

2. When you say a player has to have 400 games at a position to qualify there, does it have to be 400 games for the team he's drafted under, or just 400 games in his entire career?

3. Can the DH play any position, or does he have to have 400 games played at DH?
                      Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                        Gator wrastler
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
                        I still have some questions:

1. Is there a requirement for the way we distribute the players at each position? Do we have to have a certain number of pitchers or bench players?

2. When you say a player has to have 400 games at a position to qualify there, does it have to be 400 games for the team he's drafted under, or just 400 games in his entire career?

3. Can the DH play any position, or does he have to have 400 games played at DH?
                        1. Nope. Your team, your rules.

2. 400 games his entire career.

3. DH can be any position.

Looks like everyone's still in, but I've yet to hear back from RuthMayBond and Buzzaldrin. I'll wait a bit longer but I really want to start.

Comment

• BigRon
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
                          1. Nope. Your team, your rules.

2. 400 games his entire career.

3. DH can be any position.

Looks like everyone's still in, but I've yet to hear back from RuthMayBond and Buzzaldrin. I'll wait a bit longer but I really want to start.
                          Tyrus, it's your draft and you should make the rules. However, in a number of drafts I've been in in the past we've set a 9 pitcher minimum. That ensures that no one will do something really ridiculous like draft 4 pitchers- it also allows some flexibility. If a guy wants 11 pitchers, that's his call. What do you think?

Comment

• Wade8813
                            • Jul 2006

It's really not going to matter. It's a horrible idea to have way too few pitchers, so nobody's going to do it.

Comment

• ian2813
                              야구
                              • Dec 2009

I have another clarification question. You said:

For those who played a majority of games from unmentioned teams, our 25th roster slot could be a wild card that goes to any player who qualifies with at least 300 games for another team (Dan Brouthers with the Buffalo Bisons; 439 games).
                              Are you saying that only players who played a majority of their career games for an unmentioned team qualify for the 25th spot? Also, does that count teams added after 1969, or are we only talking about defunct 19th-Century teams?
                              Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Tyrus4189Cobb
                                Gator wrastler
                                • May 2007

Are you saying that only players who played a majority of their career games for an unmentioned team qualify for the 25th spot? Also, does that count teams added after 1969, or are we only talking about defunct 19th-Century teams?[/QUOTE]

A majority for a defunct team. This way it keeps us pre-1970 and includes more players. Our 25th slot will only be 300 as opposed to the 700 I mentioned because less games were played when Dan Brouthers or Tim Keefe toed the line.

I'm sure more scenarios will pop up, so feel free to ask anything. In the end, we're all sensible gentlemen (and ladies?) who can devise something to meet everyone's needs. If our Founding Fathers could draft a constitution, we can work out a simple draft. My biggest fear is some controversy midway through the draft that will slow progress.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X