Thread: Substituting for a DH

Substituting for a DH

I play in an adult wood bat league in Texas, and today during the game we came to a play that was questionable. Can you substitute a player for the DH? I mean, a player batting DH, and then bring another player to bat for him for the rest of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by thegladiator View Post
    I play in an adult wood bat league in Texas, and today during the game we came to a play that was questionable. Can you substitute a player for the DH? I mean, a player batting DH, and then bring another player to bat for him for the rest of the game?
    No, if you sub for a DH, you lose the DH and the pitcher has to bat. See here.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    No, if you sub for a DH, you lose the DH and the pitcher has to bat. See here.
    I don't think that's right. Here's an example of a player (Mike Young) pinch-hitting for the DH. He simply became the new DH, and no pitcher had to bat.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98705280.shtml

you only lose the DH if the player subbing for him was already playing a position, or the DH goes to a position.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    I don't think that's right. Here's an example of a player (Mike Young) pinch-hitting for the DH. He simply became the new DH, and no pitcher had to bat.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98705280.shtml
    Oops. Sorry, I read it wrong. I stand corrected.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

a DH is a "permanent" pinch hitter for the pitcher

another player can take his spot in the order as either a pinch hitter or a pinch runner and he assumes the DH role (permanent pinch hitter)

a player already playing a position can not pinch hit for the DH (he already has his place at bat)

the only time you LOSE the DH is when the pitcher (whose spot was taken by the DH) bats

I think
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    the only time you LOSE the DH is when the pitcher (whose spot was taken by the DH) bats

I think
    You also lose the DH if the DH moves to a defensive position, which forces the pitcher to bat in the place of the fielder who left the field.
    Example -- Red Sox have David Ortiz at 1B, Josh Beckett pitching and Victor Martinez at DH. Late in game, Martinez moves to first base. Ortiz is out of the game. The pitcher will now bat in Ortiz's spot. It's not too uncommon for teams to do this, but usually it's late in the game, and the pitcher's spot either never comes up or a pinch-hitter is used.

In MLB the rules for dh are different than high school. So it depends on what the rules of your adult league are-probably pretty liberal if it's like most leagues. In hs the dh rule is pretty complicated given all the substitution and re-entry rules.

I'm surprised that a dh can go play a defensive position in mlb, as a poster said, but I don't know the rules for mlb dh- I follow a National League team.

Quote Originally Posted by omg View Post
    I'm surprised that a dh can go play a defensive position in mlb, as a poster said, but I don't know the rules for mlb dh- I follow a National League team.
    I think it helps to think of it this way. A player can move anywhere in the field without affecting his own spot in the batting order.* It's when a player is substituted in the batting order, that new rules take effect -- with the exception that, as noted by Macker -- the DH takes the field and you in essence have too many fielders, so the DH "position" gets eliminated.

*For example, this is why you can take a righty starting pitcher, move him out to rightfield to allow a lefty to come into the game to face a nasty left-handed batter, and then move the pitcher back onto the mound to continue to pitch. (At least in the majors - almost all youth leagues would not allow this, AAR.) This was not that unusual in years gone by before the DH when more pitchers were actual baseball players in their younger days and could hit and field as well as pitch.

It's different in different leagues. Under NCAA rules you can have the starting pitcher bat for himself and if he is relieved as the pitcher he remains in the lineup as the DH.