Thread: Gehrig, ALS and concussions

Gehrig, ALS and concussions

Reports from the last two days indicate that athletes that have suffered head injuries may suffer from ALS later in life. One report stated that Lou Gehrig suffered six concussions during his career, which may have led to ALS. Another report today stated that Gehrig may noy have died from ALS, but from the results of those concussions! It's getting confusing, but it reminds me of something The Babe {no MD} once said--"The Dutchman should take a day off once in awhile".
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Reports from the last two days indicate that athletes that have suffered head injuries may suffer from ALS later in life. One report stated that Lou Gehrig suffered six concussions during his career, which may have led to ALS. Another report today stated that Gehrig may noy have died from ALS, but from the results of those concussions! It's getting confusing, but it reminds me of something The Babe {no MD} once said--"The Dutchman should take a day off once in awhile".
    Lou gets even more respect from me after doing some research. He was the "Iron Horse", earned that name.
    Some dates from the season 1938, Lou was 35 years old at that time.
    These dates are from late in the season.

August.
    22 Off day
    On every day, except for the 22nd, the Yankess played a doubleheader, 12 games over 7 days, 10 games in 5 days.
    Lou Gehrig played in every game and every inning.
    More amazing, he was not 100 percent at that time, that fatal illness was setting in, hit only .295 that season and early in the very next season he was out of the game.

Ray White: The man who had it in for Gehrig

On my baseball history site I wrote and illustrated an article on Ray White and his fateful run-in with Lou Gehrig in 1934, which some doctors have recently said could have attributed to his early demise.

The Infinite Baseball Card Set:
    www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
    On my baseball history site I wrote and illustrated an article on Ray White and his fateful run-in with Lou Gehrig in 1934, which some doctors have recently said could have attributed to his early demise.

The Infinite Baseball Card Set:
    www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com
    I like the story and the card, I have viewed a number of your cards.

Lou was tough guy as we all know. He was out cold for 5 minutes after that beaning.
    In his very next game in Washington, with the Yanks leading the game was called due to rain in the botom half of the 5th inning, Finish that one half inning and it's a complete game, did not happen.

Lou 3 at bats and 3 triples, tied a record held by a number of players. Did not go in the books, game not complete.