Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowtipper's deaths thread

Gino Cimoli

Gino Cimoli, a Dodger outfielder in Brooklyn and Los Angeles who was the first major league batter on the West Coast when the Dodgers and Giants moved to California in 1958, has died. He was 81.

Cimoli died Saturday at Sutter Roseville Medical Center in Roseville, Calif., of kidney and heart complications, said his longtime companion, Lorraine Vigli.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...,1752293.story
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of Jason Heyward, Starlin Castro, Jordan Zimmermann, Michael Brantley, Carlos Quentin, Julio Borbon, Drake Britton, Michael Burgess, Casey Weathers, Kyle Lotzkar & Michael Main! Jersey cards of Prince Fielder & Manny Machado! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Joe Frazier

Joe Frazier, the manager of the Mets in the turbulent period between the tenures of Yogi Berra and Joe Torre, died Tuesday in Broken Arrow, Okla. He was 88 and a longtime Broken Arrow resident.

His death was confirmed by the Christian-Gavlik Funeral Home in Broken Arrow.
    Read more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/sp...18frazier.html
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Autos of Jason Heyward, Starlin Castro, Jordan Zimmermann, Michael Brantley, Carlos Quentin, Julio Borbon, Drake Britton, Michael Burgess, Casey Weathers, Kyle Lotzkar & Michael Main! Jersey cards of Prince Fielder & Manny Machado! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...

Buddy Lewis

Gastonia’s John “Buddy” Lewis came to fame as a major league baseball player, rubbing elbows with the likes of Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams.

Lewis lived the later chapters of his storied life as a Gaston County businessman with less fanfare, but with no fewer fans.

The Gastonia native died Friday. He was 94.
    http://www.gastongazette.com/news/ma...membering.html

My website...
    My other website...

Butch McCord (Negro Leaguer)

"Clinton H. "Butch" McCord, Jr., a former Negro League player and ambassador for baseball, died Thursday at his Nashville home. He was 85.

McCord played football at Tennessee State and served two years in the Navy during World War II. He became a first baseman and outfielder from 1946-50 for the Nashville Cubs, Nashville Black Vols, Chicago American Giants and Baltimore Elite Giants."
    http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...|text|Sports|p

My website...
    My other website...

Cecil Kaiser (Negro Leaguer)

Former Negro Leagues star Cecil Kaiser, who became known to many Tigers fans over the years as part of their Negro Leagues tributes, passed away Monday at the age of 94.

Kaiser's son, Tyrone, told The Associated Press that his father died after a fall Monday at his home in Southfield, Mich., a suburb of Detroit. He moved back to Michigan following a playing career that included pitching success with the Detroit Stars, Motor City Giants, Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords in the 1940s and stints in various Latin American leagues.
    http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/a...s_det&c_id=det

My website...
    My other website...

Drew Baur (owner)

Banker and St. Louis Cardinals owner Andrew N. "Drew" Baur has died at his home in Florida.

Baur, 66, was former chairman of Southwest Bank and a co-owner, treasurer and a director of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team. Baur helped organize the original ownership group that bought the Cardinals in 1996 from Anheuser-Busch Cos.
    Read more:

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/n...baur-dies.html

My website...
    My other website...

Spook Jacobs

Forrest Vandergrift "Spook" Jacobs of Milford,
    passed away Friday, February 18, 2011 at the
    Delaware Hospice Center in Milford. He was 85.
    Mr. Jacobs was born on November 4, 1925 in
    Cheswold, son of the late Edwin F. and Norma
    C. (Willey) Jacobs.

He graduated from Salem High School, Salem,
    New Jersey in 1943. Immediately after graduation,
    he enlisted in the United States Army where he
    served as a Sergeant during World War II.
    Upon return from his tour of duty, Mr. Jacobs
    played professional baseball for 17 seasons,
    playing for the Philadelphia Athletics, the Kansas
    City Athletics, the Pittsburgh Pirates and several
    minor league clubs in Cuba and Panama. He was
    a speedy second baseman, known for his
    aggressive style on the base paths and unique
    hitting style, which earned him the nickname
    "Spook".
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...c542e7e1?pli=1

My website...
    My other website...

Greg Goossen

Greg Goossen, a former six-figure bonus baby of the Dodgers who played for
    Casey Stengel and the New York Mets, dabbled as a boxing trainer with his
    brother and was a stand-in for actor Gene Hackman in more than a dozen
    films, was found dead Saturday at his home in Sherman Oaks. He was 65.

Goossen was scheduled to be inducted into the Notre Dame High School Hall of
    Fame on Saturday night. When he did not arrive for a photo session, a family
    member went to his nearby home and found him. A cause of death has yet to be
    determined.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...db1998e0bc4843

My website...
    My other website...

Duke Snider

(CNN) -- Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers Hall of Fame center fielder Donald "Duke" Snider died Sunday at a convalescent hospital in Escondido, California. He was 84, according to team officials.

Snider's career with the Dodgers spanned 16 seasons and included a half-dozen World Series appearances. Among them was the 1955 series, which the Brooklyn Dodgers won, as well as the 1959 series title, which Snider's team captured after moving to California.

A statement released by the Dodgers' organization described Snider as one of "the game's more feared hitters."

Snider led the major leagues in home runs and runs batted in during the 1950s. With a career total 389 home runs and 1,271 RBIs, the seven-time All-Star center fielder remains the Dodger franchise's all-time leader in both categories. He slugged four homers apiece in the 1952 and 1955 World Series.
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/02/27/duke.snider.obit/

My website...
    My other website...

Mitchell Page

Former outfielder and hitting coach Mitchell Page died Saturday, according to MLB.com. He was 59. The cause of death has not been disclosed.

Page, born and raised in Los Angeles, played eight seasons in the major leagues, including from 1977 to '83 with the Oakland Athletics and in 1984 with the Pittsburgh Pirates. His best season was as a rookie when he hit 21 home runs with 75 RBI, a .307 average and 42 stolen bases to finish second in the AL Rookie of the Year Award voting to Eddie Murray.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-dead-at-59/1

My website...
    My other website...

Bill Deck (Negro Leaguer)

Bill Deck, former pitcher for the Philadelphia Stars of the Negro Leagues
    died Tuesday February 22, 2011 at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia
    according to Dr. Steven McIlwain. He was 95.

Born Sept 28, 1915, Deck had an early start in Negro League baseball as he
    was a batboy for the Hilldale Daises, where he had the chance to watch Hall
    of Famer Judy Johnson operate up close and personal.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...cdb72202?pli=1

My website...
    My other website...

Jose Ortiz

Jose Luis Ortiz played outfield for the Chicago White Sox in 1969 and 1970
    and the Cubs in 1971. He had a .301 career average in 123 at bats. He died
    in Puerto Rico on 20 January 2011, at age 63.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...a818c2ebffc291

My website...
    My other website...

Frank Dezelan (umpire)

Former National League umpire Frank Dezelan passed away on Monday at Manor Care Health Services in Monroeville, Pa. He was 81.

Dezelan served as an NL umpire from 1966-71.

Dezelan was behind the plate on Sept. 22, 1969, when Willie Mays hit his 600th career home run in San Diego. Dezelan also served as one of the umpires for the 1970 All-Star Game at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium, a game best known for the Ray Fosse-Pete Rose collision.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

My website...
    My other website...

Marty Marion

Marty Marion, the St. Louis Cardinals’ celebrated slick-fielding shortstop, who was known as the Octopus for his long arms and uncanny range in gobbling up ground balls, died on Tuesday in St. Louis. He was 93 and lived in Ladue, Mo.

His death was announced by his family.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/sp.../17marion.html

My website...
    My other website...

Tom Dunbar

Former Texas Ranger and Aiken County baseball legend Tommy Dunbar died Wednesday in Aiken. He was 51.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said Dunbar was recuperating from a recent surgery at a family member's home on Palm Drive when he had "some type of medical event."
    http://www.voy.com/221392/60593.html

My website...
    My other website...

Bob McNamara

Before he was a major-league baseball player, Robert Maxey McNamara was a straight-A student and excelled in several sports at Compton High School.

After his 1935 graduation, he attended the University of California, Berkeley on a baseball scholarship, though he also played freshman football and basketball. He would later say that one of the highlights of his college baseball career was hitting a grand slam against Cal rival Stanford. It was his last at bat in the bottom of the ninth, and Cal was down by three runs when he hit the home run to beat Stanford 12-11.

Mr. McNamara was signed by legendary manager Connie Mack to play professional baseball for the Philadelphia Athletics. Although an injury ended his pro career, he later played a season with the then-minor league Padres team toward the end of World War II when young, healthy players were scarce.

Mr. McNamara died of natural causes March 9 in Rancho Bernardo. He was 94.
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ra-dies-at-95/

My website...
    My other website...

Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford, who pitched seven seasons in the major leagues, including three with the New York Yankees, passed away March 15, 2011 at his home in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was 91.

Sanford started his career with the St. Louis Browns in 1943 before his career was interrupted by his World War II service. He returned to play with them again from 1946-48 until he was traded to the New York Yankees during the 1948 off-season. Even though Sanford led the American League in losses in 1948, the Yankees paid the Browns $100,000 in a trade that also saw them part with future All-Star catcher Sherm Lollar.
    http://www.examiner.com/baseball-his...ber-dies-at-91

My website...
    My other website...

Tom McAvoy

STILLWATER, NY – Thomas J. “Mac” McAvoy, 74, of Clinton Court, passed away peacefully at his home, on Saturday, March 19th, 2011, with his family by his side, following a courageous 3 year battle against pancreatic cancer.

Born in Brooklyn, NY August 12, 1936, son of the late Edward and Gladys McAvoy, “Mac” and family moved upstate when he was a child, and lived in this area most of his life. A wholesale newspaper distributor for many years, Mac also had several other sales jobs earlier in life.
    http://blog.timesunion.com/mcguire/t...er-dies/11260/

My website...
    My other website...

Charlie Metro

If legends are made by the number of stories told about them, Charlie Metro qualifies hands down.

Metro also was a great storyteller, particularly when it came to talking about his 47 years in baseball. His spectrum included managing stops with the Denver Bears, Chicago Cubs and Kansas City Royals.

Metro, 91, died Friday in Buckingham, Va., of mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer. Services were in Buckingham and a Celebration of Life is scheduled April 9 in Denver. He had operated a ranch northwest of Arvada and raised quarter horses until three years ago, when he moved to Buckingham.

Read more: Former Bears manager Metro dies at 91 - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz1HSyk9FpC

My website...
    My other website...

Bob Rush

Robert "Bob" Rush died peacefully with his family around him on March 19, 2011 in Mesa Arizona. Born on December 21, 1925 in Battle Creek, Michigan he graduated from Riley High School in South Bend, Indiana and then joined the Army to serve during WWII, (1944-1946), in the European Theater. Bob then proceeded to a career pitching in Major League Baseball. He played from 1947-1960 as a starting pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Braves and Chicago White Sox. Bob was a two-time National League All-Star and was the starting pitcher in the third game of the 1958 World Series with the Braves. He is Proceeded in death by his wife Alberta Jane Rush (1994). He is Survived by 4 children-Cindy(Roger), Rojane(Ric), Ransom(Jennifer) and Reid (Tanya), 5 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren. A viewing will be held March 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm at Melcher Mortuary Mission Chapel 6625 E. Main St. Mesa Arizona. Bob has requested to be buried at The National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona. (private service).
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azc...8156&fhid=6533

My website...
    My other website...

Normie Roy

NASHUA, NH -- Norman B. Roy III, 82 of Nashua died Tuesday March 22, 2011 at
    St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua following a brief illness.

He was born November 15, 1928 in Waltham, MA, son of the late Norman and
    Helen (Madden) Roy II.

Norman was a former Major League Baseball Pitcher with the Boston Braves in
    the 1950's. He was later employed with Raytheon for over 38 years at both
    the Bedford, MA and Tewksbury, MA locations. He was an avid golfer and
    longtime member of Nabnasset Country Club in Westford. Norman was also a
    Lifetime Member of the Maynard Lodge of Elks #1568 and a member of the H.E.
    Fletcher Club in Westford.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...669a769e?pli=1

My website...
    My other website...

In a sense it's kind of heartbreaking reading the news in this thread to see the guys you collected baseball cards of in the 1950s and '60s die off one by one, but keep this thread going, and keep us informed. You are providing us fans a valuable service.

Lou Gorman (GM)

Former Red Sox general manager Lou Gorman died this morning at the age of 82.

Gorman was the Red Sox GM from 1984-93 and built three playoff teams in his 10-year stint with the Sox. He had served as a senior adviser to the team after being replaced by Dan Duquette as GM in 1994,

He was inducted into the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame in 2002.

A family member confirmed to the Boston Globe that Gorman died at 1:50 a.m.

A native of Providence, RI, Gorman also worked in the front offices of the Baltimore Orioles, New York Mets and Seattle Mariners in his career.
    http://www.necn.com/04/01/11/Ex-Red-...26&feedID=3352

My website...
    My other website...

Tom Silverio

ANTIAGO .- The Cibao Eagles on Saturday announced the death of the Immortal Sports and former player Tom Silverio.

The former outfielder was ill for a long time and had recently undergone an operation in a hospital here.

Recovering at his home at the time of his death on Saturday. Meet 66 years on October 14, 1945.
    http://www.almomento.net/news/130/AR...011-04-02.html

(translated ^^)

My website...
    My other website...

Larry Shepard (manager)

LINCOLN, Neb. – Larry Shepard, the former Pittsburgh Pirates manager who later became the pitching coach for the Big Red Machine, has died. He was 92.

The funeral home handling the arrangements in Lincoln, Neb., said Shepard died Tuesday.

Shepard managed future Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente and the Pirates to an 80-82 record in 1968. Shepard was fired late in the 1969 season with Pittsburgh at 84-73.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...#ixzz1IrICweyj

My website...
    My other website...

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast