• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glovemedic
    Certifiable Glove Nut
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by joeR View Post
    Is the red-blue one as bright in person as in the image?
    Not quite. But it is still a looker if you want to model your game after Manny. Me, I still prefer black or brown leather. Apparently, the colored gloves are quite the rage in Japan and mexico.
    Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879
    The Glove Medic

Comment

• AltaLomaStorm
      • Nov 2007

Regarding the Manny replica - I would stay away from it if you plan on him pitching. The big white "Akadema" patch and logo would probably make it illegal to pitch with.

Comment

• joeR
        • Apr 2007

I found an 11" Rawlings Gold Glove on 60% off clearance around $40, but didn't get it yet. I haven't found any Akadema glove dealers to look at the gloves suggested. The Akadema says it is softer for kids - would it be a better choice? It is strange to purchase it without seeing it first.

Comment

• randy
          • May 2007

For a 7 yo, softer is definitely better. If you don't mind, where did you find the GG for 40 bucks? My 13 yo needs an 11.5 or so since he got moved to third.

Comment

• glovemedic
            Certifiable Glove Nut
            • Jul 2007

I found an 11" Rawlings Gold Glove on 60% off clearance around $40, but didn't get it yet. I haven't found any Akadema glove dealers to look at the gloves suggested. The Akadema says it is softer for kids - would it be a better choice? It is strange to purchase it without seeing it first.
            You will have a tough time finding an Akadema dealer to try the glove on. I have a couple gloves left over from my dealer days and will have them out for sale at tournaments. Most of their sales are over the internet. Good luck. I also want to know about the Rawling GG for $40.
            Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
            Tazewell TN 37879
            The Glove Medic

Comment

• joeR
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by glovemedic View Post
              You will have a tough time finding an Akadema dealer to try the glove on. I have a couple gloves left over from my dealer days and will have them out for sale at tournaments. Most of their sales are over the internet. Good luck. I also want to know about the Rawling GG for $40.
              It was a local place in Georgia NW of Atlanta near Duluth called MVP on Old Peachtree Road. The owner said they are closing out last years gloves for new stock they have coming in. They had an 11" GG and an 11" easton (I think was $25) that he suggested to me.

Comment

• joeR
                • Apr 2007

double post

Comment

• slugger3
                  • Oct 2006

What size glove would you recommend for a 7 year old that is average in size about 4'2" 58 lbs? He currently is using a 9.5" t-ball glove rated for 3-5 year olds that he catches well with. His rec team coach made a blanket statement that team member gloves should be 10.5" or larger.
                  It seems silly to see some of the shovel type gloves being used like opening a garbage bag and hoping it falls in. However, maybe he does need one that is a bit bigger? Any suggestions?
                  joeR,

Thru the years of looking at gloves for my now 12 year old son, the one thing I would caution you on is how gloves are catorgorized. The size as you probably are aware, is measured from the bottom of the palm of the glove to the top of the glove. There is no mention on the size of the width of the glove across the bottom of the palm, and that dimension can change greatly from an adult to a child glove (beacause of the size of their hand). It is not always clear (or they give you a wide age range) of the size of the hand a glove is designed for. The bottom line for me was to investigate the various manufacturers models online, then find a local sports store that has a wide range of gloves that you are interested in.

The most important part is to have your son can try the gloves on to see what he is comfortable with.

Hope this helps

Slugger3

Comment

• callyjr
                    • Feb 2007

what if the glove is too big?

Ok here is a question.

What if the kid uses a glove that is too big for an entire year, he does ok with it, but could still use a smaller glove. Should you make him go back to a smaller glove and develop more refined skills or let him continue using the bigger glove. Will the use of the bigger glove help him at all as he gets big enough to actually handle it?

I'm talking 7 to 9 yr olds.

Cally

Comment

• glovemedic
                      Certifiable Glove Nut
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by callyjr View Post
                      Ok here is a question.
                      What if the kid uses a glove that is too big for an entire year, he does ok with it, but could still use a smaller glove. Should you make him go back to a smaller glove and develop more refined skills or let him continue using the bigger glove. Will the use of the bigger glove help him at all as he gets big enough to actually handle it? I'm talking 7 to 9 yr olds.
                      I would encourage dropping down a size. I managed to get our SS as a 9u to drop down from his dad's 12" glove to the Akadema AZR95. The result was fundamentally sound ground ball fielding and ball/hand transfers. He is still using the glove as an 11U and the way our middle infielders have been working I am looking forward to a couple 6-4-3's this season. It has been awesome to watch the development.

Not every kid will handle that transition, but if you introduce it correctly, I am guessing the kid will adopt the smaller glove without a lot of angst. My son recently went back to his AZR 95 and decided his Rawlings GG Pro-taper 11.25" is better suited for outfield play. He did this on his own (without a word from me) after he found himself digging for the ball in the pocket on his flip drills.
                      Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
                      Tazewell TN 37879
                      The Glove Medic

Comment

• Jesse
                        • May 2006

We got my son this one in 10.5". We tried on every single glove in several different stores and this one was by far the best (there was a grey/black Mizuno that was a distant second). He was playing catch with it that day, with no break in time. I highly recommend letting him try one out. We paid $30 for it brand new, so the first link is a good deal.

Find Baseball Equipment & Softball Equipment and other top baseball equipment here at BaseballEquipment.com. Compare prices on the best brands.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X