Polo Grounds [IV] / Brush Stadium (1911-1963)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock
    Still Treading The Line
    • Sep 2007

A few may be reposts or larger images of previously posted pics. The well of available Polo Ground pics is running dry. Hopefully that will change as attics are emptied across America.

10/3/1951

Sometime between '58 and '62
    ENLARGE

From nycsubway.org

Last edited by milladrive; 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Still Treading The Line
      • Sep 2007

The Babe

Ernie Lombardi Tribute

Last edited by milladrive; 04-19-2012, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Still Treading The Line
        • Sep 2007

Some yearbooks

And all that time, I thought he was running after a baseball. Who knew
        Last edited by milladrive; 04-17-2012, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• BMF
          BIG MAN
          • Jul 2008

I never realized how big the outfields were them days. The polos center field was 480, yankee stadium was about 460. Me as a met fan I thought 410 AT SHEA was deep imagine them days. I guess my question would be how often were homeruns hit back then.
          http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...6078886&ref=ts
          follow me on twitter
          https://twitter.com/reemowilliams

Comment

• Chevy114
            • Feb 2008

the polo grounds looks like a great place to catch a football game, anyone else have an opinion on that?

Also that 1889 shot is pretty cool, I had no idea it looked like that at first!
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• hbwriter
              • Oct 2006

buildings up above the polo grounds

Anyone know the names (addresses too) of those two building that still loom over the polo grounds site? (the tall one and the shorter one) thanks

Comment

• Lpeters199
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by hbwriter View Post
                Anyone know the names (addresses too) of those two building that still loom over the polo grounds site? (the tall one and the shorter one) thanks
                515 Edgecombe sat directly behind home plate atop Coogan's Bluff. From the roof of this apartment building in 1950, a 14 year old boy fired a shot at the Polo Grounds that struck and killed a fan sitting in the upper deck in left center.

Comment

Still Treading The Line
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
                  515 Edgecombe sat directly behind home plate atop Coogan's Bluff. From the roof of this apartment building in 1950, a 14 year old boy fired a shot at the Polo Grounds that struck and killed a fan sitting in the upper deck in left center.
                  The victim sat within the circled spot. A newswire photo of the horrible scene is in post #725.

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock View Post
                    A few may be reposts or larger images of previously posted pics. The well of available Polo Ground pics is running dry. Hopefully that will change as attics are emptied across America.

10/3/1951

Sometime between '58 and '62
                    ENLARGE

From nycsubway.org

'Doza: The color photos in your post are giving me CHILLS! Did you travel back in TIME to get those?

whew...
                    Last edited by milladrive; 04-19-2012, 07:41 AM.
                    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• penncentralpete
                      Abe Stark suits me fine
                      • Jan 2006

A/C unit from Polo Grounds

Listening to the Mets-Giants game today on the radio, I heard something very interesting. The A/C unit that was used in the Polo Grounds press box in 1962 and 1963 has been used to cool the visitors' clubhouse at Shea all these years, and is still in use!
                      Last edited by penncentralpete; 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM.
                      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

• RichieA13
                        SHEA STADIUM * 1964-2008
                        • Aug 2006

Casey Stengel - Last PG Game - 9-18-63

Casey Stengel - Last Polo Grounds Game - 9-18-63
                        Attached Files
                        ------------------------------------------
                        www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                        www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• StanTheMan
                          Back after a decade or so
                          • Jan 2006

You can see the door to the Schwab's apartment open in the background of that Stengel photo. Got to love Casey... posing like that.
                          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Still Treading The Line
                            • Sep 2007

After 35 pages it's getting harder to avoid reposts:crossfingers:

The next 2 are of the PG shuttle (courtesy of nycsubway.org)

Larger version of pic I posted last week with Ernie Lombardi being honored

PG 1953 lithograph

As far as the Brush staircase is involved, I think the earlier posted photo with the red circle highlights the most likely area. Did there used to be an overhang/roof over the staircase? The contrast looks a little too pronounced to be just a staircase.

Comment

• chinese home run
                              • Mar 2008

No, that is the spot where the Brush Stairway- or what's left of it, anyway-is. I was just up there a couple of days ago, and both entrances are still sealed off. The city even took the Coogan's Bluff sign off that used to be at the Edgecombe Avenue entrance to the stairs. I looked through the chain link fence on the Edgecombe Avenue side of the stairway, and there looked to be no support at all underneath them. Sad.

Ironically, there is a "Coogan's Bluff Playground" about eighty to ninety yards south of the old Edgecombe Avenue entrance, and it appears to have been built since the last time I was up there three years ago. It was fenced in, had a swing set, several benches, two slides done up in garish purple and green, and three old-style lampposts that would have looked at home on the Brush Stairway.

Comment

• icee82
                                • Jul 2004

I just finished reading the book "The Echoing Green" about the 1951 'Shot Heard 'Round the World'. A very fascinating book and obviously it speaks quite a bit about the Polo Grounds and the locker room, etc.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X