X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BiZmaRK
    • Jul 2008

Matt Cain is being greedy

I heard Matt Cain was offered $90 million over 10 years but is holding out for $100 million over 10 years. Just how much more of a comfortable lifestyle can one afford on $100 million than on $90 million? Perhaps Cain should play for less - perhaps $60 million - so the cash can be freed up for the Giants to sign other players to help get Cain the wins he thinks he deserves.
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.
  • KHenry14
    Gigantes Moderator
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
    I heard Matt Cain was offered $90 million over 10 years but is holding out for $100 million over 10 years. Just how much more of a comfortable lifestyle can one afford on $100 million than on $90 million? Perhaps Cain should play for less - perhaps $60 million - so the cash can be freed up for the Giants to sign other players to help get Cain the wins he thinks he deserves.
    <sigh> Is this all you got Biz? A guy wanting to get paid his market value? Did you say the same about Albert or Prince? Or would it be different if Cain was being courted by the Dodgers or A's? Honestly, no Giant fan I know begrudges Cain this one bit. There's no story here, it is what it is.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
      IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
      <sigh> Is this all you got Biz? A guy wanting to get paid his market value? Did you say the same about Albert or Prince? Or would it be different if Cain was being courted by the Dodgers or A's? Honestly, no Giant fan I know begrudges Cain this one bit. There's no story here, it is what it is.
      Cain is smart man. He knows that when a guy like Kyle Loshe is making $12 million per year, making $9 just isn't right. Heck, Jeff flippin' Suppan got more than per year from the Brewers 5 years ago. $9 million is way under market value, and the Giants should be ecstatic that he is only asking for 10. Mark Buehrle, who is 6 years older than Cain just made 13.5 per year in FA for goodness sakes. If I were the Giants, I would jump on that 10 mill.
      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• BiZmaRK
        • Jul 2008

Have you ever heard the concept of a team player. Take a little less salary, still live like a king and free up some money so your team can buy some players to help ensure you win another WS.
        Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
          IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
          Have you ever heard the concept of a team player. Take a little less salary, still live like a king and free up some money so your team can buy some players to help ensure you win another WS.
          Would you take less money at your job if you thought it would help your company? Even if you knew there were less qualified people than you making way more $$$ than you already?
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• BiZmaRK
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
            Would you take less money at your job if you thought it would help your company? Even if you knew there were less qualified people than you making way more $$$ than you already?
            If it would ultimately increase the likelihood that my company would be the world champion of companies - especially if I could put "being part of world championship company" on my resume - when there is only one world champion each year.

Comment

• KHenry14
              Gigantes Moderator
              • Feb 2004

Biz, you'd have a lot more credibility on this issue if you went after players on teams other than the Giants. But you didn't post this in the Angels forum when they signed Albert, nor in the Tigers forum when they signed Prince. No, you bring this up only in regard to Lincecum and Cain. Which makes it obvious that your posts have a lot more to do with being "anti-Giant" then any altruistic feelings about players being selfish for not giving a home town discount or being greedy.

Please do us all a favor and stop posting in the Giants forum.
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• BiZmaRK
                • Jul 2008

Biz, you'd have a lot more credibility on this issue if you went after players on teams other than the Giants. But you didn't post this in the Angels forum when they signed Albert, nor in the Tigers forum when they signed Prince. No, you bring this up only in regard to Lincecum and Cain. Which makes it obvious that your posts have a lot more to do with being "anti-Giant" then any altruistic feelings about players being selfish for not giving a home town discount or being greedy.

Please do us all a favor and stop posting in the Giants forum.
                I happen to live in an area considered to be the Giants market and I hear about them on the radio, in the newspapers and on TV far more than any other team. So when Matt Cain holds out for more money, I'm far more inclined to hear about it than when Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder holds out. If it were an A's player who were holding out, I probably wouldn't fuss about it - merely because the A's, while being just as far away from my home as the Giants, don't get as much visibility in the press.

If I lived in the St. Louis market, I'd be far more inclined to whine about Albert Pujols holding out for a ridiculously high salary - which would keep the Cardinals from signing another pitcher - then I would be to whine about anything going on with the Giants.

I selected the avatar not because of what teams I do or don't like. I know my avatar gives the illusion I like the A's and Dodgers, which means it could be safely assumed that I dislike the Giants. But that's not the case. I chose the avatar because I like the idea of an avatar which rotates through three teams. It helps reflect my position of not being a fan of one particular team. If there were an avatar which rotated through all 30 teams, that would be even better.

Comment

• BiZmaRK
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by CandlestickBum
                  Nor should anyone. Team forums are for fellow fans to talk about their team. Or any rewardning or positive discussion from members at BB-F.

It's certainly well established that only certain types of people go into team forums and talk sh*t. Open forums, sure, whatever. Whine, bitch and diss to your hearts content. But you don't crap in other peoples yards.
                  The Giants are my local team and I hear about them in the press far more than I hear about any other team. I grew up as a Giants fan and attend more Giants games than any other team's games. Do I dislike the Giants? Absolutely not.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                    2005 World Series Champs
                    • Jun 2010

I would think since he's from Nevada and I assume thats gotta be upper Nevada the Giants or A's would be the closest baseball team. Yeah I remember driving in Nevada once and all you got was two radio stations so any news out there would have to be a topic.

After reading the posts it does seem like he really isnt asking for too much though. The Giants would be nuts to not make that offer.
                    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Blue387
                      Ya gotta believe
                      • Jul 2010

I would hold out for $1 billion over one year.
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                        2005 World Series Champs
                        • Jun 2010

I'd hold out for 100 grand and donate the rest to the poor. Of course i'm being a dreaming fan but I dont think Bizmark is off base for what he said. What can these guys do with all this money. I know they get taxed and they give to charities but for some people holding out it is kinda arrogant. At my job if we held out for money we'd be fired.

aybe he's holding out so he can give to the less fortunate and make himself look like a hero. NOT
                        Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 03-16-2012, 09:13 PM.
                        "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
                          xFIP?! I laugh at you!
                          • Nov 2004

Some recent news on the Matt Cain contract talks front.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• chris14
                            SF Giants
                            • Jul 2008

He was paid UNDER what market value would be for him this coming Summer.
                            That is not greed.
                            Go Gigantes!

Comment

• west coast orange and black
                              • Aug 2004

so, it turned out to be $127.5M for 6 seasons.

what do you suppose happened to the giants' offer of $90M over 10 years, bizmark? (if that offer ever truly even existed.)
                              and, what do you suppose happened to cain's arrogation (!) of $100M over 10 years? (as is your claim of cain.)

seriously, man. i wanna know.
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X