• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theAmazingMet
    There IS a "we" in team
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Imapotato View Post
    And teh Soviets did so because we placed nukes in Turkey

I find it ironic that descendents of the regime ousted by Castro who used power,influence and money to place sanctions and embargoes on Cuba are the ones up in arms. he stated something not so controversial but due to misquotes by our biased,incompetent and lazy mass media....is being persecuted. A tactic Castro used often in the 70's to get rid of dissentors
    And you being from Cuba can speak for them yes?. The captain has already stated to leave the politics out.
    Last edited by theAmazingMet; 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
      The Natural
      • Jan 2009

shaking hands is not all that was done

travel to the country supposedly off limits and playing a 3 hour game and sitting in the same box with him for three hours and all you got out of it was a 3 second hand shake

some things never change
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jnakamura
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
        shaking hands is not all that was done

travel to the country supposedly off limits and playing a 3 hour game and sitting in the same box with him for three hours and all you got out of it was a 3 second hand shake

some things never change
        How is sitting together in a stadium box for a few hours an endorsement of love or admiration?

When Khrushchev met with JFK there were handshakes and smiles, and they spent many hours together. Again, If JFK said he loved Khrushchev or admired Khrushchev he would have been crucified for it.

If you can't see the difference between meeting a dictator and exchanging pleasantries and saying you LOVE them and ADMIRE them, then you're out of touch.
        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• doctor_gogol
          • Jul 2008

Interesting! Guillen exercising his right to free speech, expresses admiration for a regime that eliminated free speech, only to have his free speech punished by people who oppose the tyrant who eliminated free speech.

No irony to see here! Move along!
          Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46267068@N04/sets/

Comment

• doctor_gogol
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
            "Fidel Castro, he's a bull--dictator and everybody's against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him. Everywhere he goes they roll out the red carpet. I don't admire his philosophy. I admire him."

--Ozzie Guillen, Mens Journal, 2008

It's hard to buy Ozzie's backtracking when this isn't the first time he's praised Castro in a public article.

Ummm... thats not praising Castro.

Yeah, Castro is a douchebag! But his ability to persevere 50+ years is impressive.THAT is what Guillen was saying. Not: Yippie, hooray, yahoo for Castro!

People get too emotional and outraged and stop being analytical.
            Last edited by doctor_gogol; 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Cowtipper
              Retired
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
              Interesting! Guillen exercising his right to free speech, expresses admiration for a regime that eliminated free speech, only to have his free speech punished by people who oppose the tyrant who eliminated free speech.

No irony to see here! Move along!
              The right to free speech, as stated in the Constitution, limits Congress and (by extension) the government's ability to limit what people can say.

Guillen said what he said. He has that right. No governmental force is stopping him from saying it.

But any private group or organization has the right to criticize, condemn or silence an internal cog or piece that can and will harm its interests. That's why people can get banned from this website. The Marlins' interests include a large swath of Cuban fans, who clearly do not like Castro--which is why they are in Florida and not in Cuba.

Guillen always has and will have the right to say what he said. He can keep saying it as he is sitting at home on his couch, wondering why he is out of a job. He won't go to jail for it.

Comment

• jnakamura
                • Oct 2008

Ummm... thats not praising Castro.
                Praise
                noun
                1. the act of expressing approval or admiration

Ozzie: "I admire him"

Ummm...yeah, it is.
                - Walt Whitman

Comment

• doctor_gogol
                  • Jul 2008

Praise
                  noun
                  1. the act of expressing approval or admiration

Ozzie: "I admire him"

Ummm...yeah, it is.
                  Yet he expressly stated that its not his policies, its his staying power. Get it?

Comment

• jnakamura
                    • Oct 2008

Yet he expressly stated that its not his policies, its his staying power. Get it?
                    Makes no difference.

Same as if he said he admired Adolf Hitler--not because of his policies, but because he was a commanding public speaker.

You can't cherry-pick admirable qualities of brutal dictators. Life doesn't work that way, as Ozzie's now finding out.
                    - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
                      Stretch 44
                      • Feb 2009

This is hardly the first, or even fifth or sixth time Ozzie's mouth has gotten him in trouble. He's lucky he only got a five-gamer out of it. I hope he'll finally learn something from this, but I somehow doubt it. That mouth will roar again, I have no doubt.
                      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
                        IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
                        • Feb 2005

Makes no difference.

Same as if he said he admired Adolf Hitler--not because of his policies, but because he was a commanding public speaker.

You can't cherry-pick admirable qualities of brutal dictators. Life doesn't work that way, as Ozzie's now finding out.
                        Exactly. Walk into a Jewish synagogue and explain how you admire Hitler's love and treatments of domesticated animals. See what happens. You have to know your audience. Leaving politics out of it, we should all agree that Guillen made a very foolish choice.
                        Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 04-10-2012, 09:48 PM.
                        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                          A Gametime Decision
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                          Exactly. Walk into a Jewish synagogue and explain how you admire Hitler's love and treatments of domesticated animals. See what happens. You have to know your audience. Leaving politics out of it, we should all agree that Guillen made a very foolish choice.
                          Hitler was a vegetarian, as am I. But I don't go around saying I admire him for it. It didn't make him a better person, obviously. Guillen, whom I like, has to be the most politically naive man in the world to say what he said. I hope it doesn't cost him his job, but I think it likely will. If he gets fired, it won't be because The Marlins are sensitive to the feelings of their Cuban fans, it will be because of money. Strictly a business decision. MLB will cozy up to Castro when it suits them, play an exhibition in Havana when there's a buck to be made. But this time, it will cost them money if Cuban fans boycott The Marlins, which is probably already being discussed.
                          Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 04-11-2012, 04:56 AM.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Melottfan
                            Melottfan
                            • Jan 2006

Open mouth insert foot.

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                              The Natural
                              • Jan 2009

You can't cherry-pick admirable qualities of brutal dictators

But you can sit in his box for three hours and have a cordial game

total double standard

I always thought actions speak louder than words

and hitler killed 6 million jews and devestated and over ran countries with a devestating war machine

how many has castro killed and and what countries did he attack with a war machine

totally innappropriaite comparison which was self serving

i understad why miami cubans are upset i dont see why they are/were not so upset about selig and the exhibition game

you cant have your cake and eat it too
                              1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                              2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                              3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                                OSHA-certified Moderator
                                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
                                And you being from Cuba can speak for them yes?. The captain has already stated to leave the politics out.
                                He gets the same pass as you did.
                                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X