X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ben Grimm
    Semi-lucid User
    • Jun 2012

Haha. Herndon's already been released by the Jays.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• philliesfiend55
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
      I take Hollins' AS appearance with a grain of salt. He likely wouldn't have been chosen had the Phils not been in first place leadinup up to the game. How else does one explain Daulton getting voted in over Piazza? Or Mulholland getting the start over Jose Rijo that year?
      Like it or not, that's the way it often works in all-star selections. A player has to play for an up and coming team just to get noticed. It's even worse in the NBA and the NFL.
      NFL Pro Bowl teams often are loaded with players from one or two dominant teams in each conference in that particular year. In the NBA with no resriction that each team must be represented on the all-star roster a losing or so-so team can go years without all-star represenation. All you have to do is look at the Phialdelphia 76ers to see that principle operating. The Sixers must have gone at least 6 years without an all-star until Andre Iguodala was finally selected to the all-star team in February 2012.
      IMO Hollins had a streak where he was a solid 3B for a number of years. One criticism i remember of him was that for a guy batting fifth in the lineup,some fans thought he took too many pitches and drew too many walks for a middle of the order hitter.thereby leaving the job of driving in runs to someone else. Even still he had two seasons of 93 RB.I His two peak years - 1992: 27HR/93 RBI/.270 BA/28 DOUBLES/league leading 19HBP and 1993: 18HR/93RBI/.273B.A/30 DOUBLES probably did at minimum DESERVE SOME SERIOUS ALL-STAR GAME CONSIDERATION.

Comment

• jalbright
        Researcher/advocate/mod
        • Mar 2005

In 1992, Hollins had a 6.0 WAR, which is all-star territory.
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
          Semi-lucid User
          • Jun 2012

Looking at it, it appears Hollins was brought in to replace Matt Williams who was injured the week or so before the ASG. That's what had me confused since Williams was at .290 with over 20 HRs for the first half that year.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Ben Grimm
            Semi-lucid User
            • Jun 2012

After the D'Backs have moved Chris Young to Oakland, they're back with the possibility of moving Justin Upton as well. As much as I like BJ over the other options for the outfield via free agency, Justin provides more upside simply based on being 25 years old next season.

Justin is "only" owed an average of $13M per season thru the end of his contract (which expires after the 2015 season). But of course, he'd require at least one blue-chip MLB-ready prospect, or a proven player making very little money, or a combination of that sort. BJ would simply cost cash - I'm assuming something in the 5-year/$85M area.

There will be alot of teams in on both this winter and I simply don't see the Phillies having the punch to offer nearly as much to Arizona as compared to other teams.

Comment

• philliesfiend55
              • Nov 2006

Here's some News:
              18 minor leaguers released.

RHP: Scott Elarton (AAA), Jesus Morales (R), Drew Naylor (A), Matt Wright (AAA); LHP: Tom Cochran (AAA), Pat Misch (AAA), David Purcey (AAA); C: Jake Fox (AA), John Suomi (AAA); 2B: Harold Garcia (AA), Tug Hulett (AA), Jake Opitz (AAA); SS: Miguel Abreu (AAA); OF: Kyle Hoppy (SS), Kyle Hudson (AAA), D'Arby Myers (AA), Mike Spidale (AAA), Brandon Tripp (AA).

Too bad that Garcia suffered recurring injuries in 2011 & 2012. He once had the potential to be one of the organization's finest hitters and base stealers.
              I'd say besides Garcia, if he ever gets healthy, that Cochran, Suomi, Hulett, Abreu, and Hudson will probably surface with other organizations in the high minors with a chance of getting to "The show" someday.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                Semi-lucid User
                • Jun 2012

I'd have to assume that the play of Cesar Hernandez this year sealed the fate of Harold Garcia. Is it me, or does it seem like D'Arby Myers has been in this system for over a decade?

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                  Semi-lucid User
                  • Jun 2012

Hearing now the Phils are interested in Cody Ross. Please no. Not at the .760 or so OPS he's put up over his past three seasons while wanted $22-$25M over three years. Last offseason was the time to get him - not now. Could have done three years at half the price.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                    Semi-lucid User
                    • Jun 2012

Buster Olney‏@Buster_ESPN

The Phillies are OK with the high annual salary that Josh Hamilton might command, but they have concerns about the length of the deal.

Pass. Too many years. Too much money. Too much baggage. Too left-handed. Makes no sense here as Charlie's head will explode trying to balance out the batting order each day.

Get a RH power hitter that can play 3B or OF and call it a day. Add in some spare parts for depth if the tax creeps too close to the limit.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                      Semi-lucid User
                      • Jun 2012

Apparently, the Rangers made a push to acquire Justin Upton from Arizona this weekend. From what I read, they offered Mike Olt (a name mentioned often in this town up to the trade deadline) to the Braves for Andrelton Simmons - and then flip Simmons to the Diamondbacks. It seems that Texas is highly reluctant to move either Elvis Andrus or Jurickson Profar in a deal.

Comment

• philliesfiend55
                        • Nov 2006

Can Lance Berkman possibly be a Phillies target for a one-year deal. Can he still play outfield and how well has he recovered from injuries that limited him to only about 30 games in 2012.
                        Is it GM Ruben Amaro Jr.'s grand scheme to acquire both Upton brothers. - BJ for Centerfield this offseason via Free Agancy and to trade for Justin to fill a corner outfield spot in the near future (probably before the start of the 2014 season). The Phils are probably one of the only teams that could pay the Upton Brothers' salaries simultaneously and still meet the rest of the team's payroll..

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                          Semi-lucid User
                          • Jun 2012

Diamondbacks want a legitimate MLB-ready SS for Upton. Unfortunately, the Phillies don't have anything that resembles that. I think the only way the Phils could swing something is to get a 3rd team involved and even they'd have to match up.

As for Berkman, he was a nice story in 2011. But his knees are torn up and since he was hired by Rice University, he'll need to be bowled over by an offer. Personally, I think an AL team would be willing to pay a bit more if only because of the DH option.

Not too long ago, Lance mentioned that he'd want to get paid as an everyday 3-hole hitter. I'm assuming that means $ in the area of what he made last year ($12M) but he may want a 2nd year attached as well. As much as I like his switch-hitting ability, I'm not into giving years to another aging player.
                          Last edited by Ben Grimm; 11-20-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• philliesfiend55
                            • Nov 2006

From what I understand, Lance Berkman is a non-paid Volunteer Assistant coach at Rice University, so it won't take much of an offer for him o delay the start of his college coaching career (if that is what his post-playing days objective is).
                            If he is statistically oriented in the least, Berkman will want to play two more years, until age 38, in order to reach the 2,000 games, 2,000 hits, and 400 home runs milestones.
                            Last edited by philliesfiend55; 11-22-2012, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• philliesfiend55
                              • Nov 2006

The Phillies added four players to their 40 man roster (currently at 38) since today was the deadline to submit a 40 man (or close to it) roster for 2013. The roster currently doesn't have to be at exactly 40 because Free agent signings,Trade Acquisitions at the Winter Meetings or even later, and Rule 5 draft picks can add to the roster.

The Phillies new 40 man roster now has 8 players with no major league experience. In addition to Cesar Hernandez (2B), Sebastian Valle (C), Tyson Gillies (OF) and J.C. Ramirez (P) - holdovers from the 2012 fourty man roster who have not yet played in the major leagues, the four added today to next year's 40 man roster, who have not yet made their major league debuts are:
                              Zach Collier (Of),Trevor May (P), Ethan Martin (P) and Jonathan Pettibone (P).

Of these eight I'd guess that all but Collier might see action with the Phillies at some point in 2013,since these seven have all played at the AAA or AA level in 2012 and all may be ticketed to start next season at AAA-Lehigh Valley. Collier is a first round pick that has been disappointing thus far, but showed enough potential last year at High A Clearwater that the parent club does not want to give up on him at this point.

Some of their most promising players prospects withonly a few years in the minor leagues do not have to be protected in order for the Phillies to retain control of them such as Cody Asche (3B),Tyler Knigge (P) and Leandro Castro (OF).

Other players who weren't protected such as Cody Overbeck (1B) and Jiwan James (OF) may now have sufficient time in the minor leagues that they may be vulnerable to the Rule 5 Draft in the first week of December.
                              Last edited by philliesfiend55; 11-22-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                                Semi-lucid User
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                                From what I understand, Lance Berkman is a non-paid Volunteer Assistant coach, so it won't take much of an offer for him o delay the start of his college coaching career (if that is what his post-playing days objective is).
                                If he is statistically oriented in the least, Berkman will want to play two more years, until age 38, in order to reach the 2,000 games, 2,000 hits, and 400 home runs milestones.
                                Not much of an offer, huh? Here's part of an interview when he was mentioned as possibly returning to the Astros.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If Berkman does decide to keep playing in the wake of recurring knee problems, regular playing time and money seem to be Berkman's primary concerns for not just the Astros, but any team looking for his services.

"It just depends on what kind of money they are talking about," Berkman said. "Am I going to come back for a couple of million bucks, no. If they want to pay me close to what I feel like my value is in terms of what I bring to the table...if they're going to ask me to be there and hit third and play every day and DH every day, I want to be compensated like a guy who is a Major League three-hole hitter."

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...0ugkXqZwgQQ.99

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X