X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 9&10
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    how many days before we sign Hamilton? I say we sign him by Monday. what say you?
    I HOPE NOT!!! Hamilton is a night out on the town away from collapsing. He's a ticking timebomb and I don't wanna see him with the Red Sox, not for the $$$ or the number of years he'd get. The Victorino and Gomes aquisistions are terrible. I've always liked Mike Napoli since his days with the Angels and while his defense isn't good, he should hit well for us.

I was content with playing the youngsters and languishing at the bottom of the division for another season or two while they Sox developed some of their prospects. They haven't done jack squat regarding their greatest weakness--starting pitching.

Comment

• Evangelion
      Baseball Fever Member
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
      You can look at this from whatever angle you want (and I have) but this is just a bad signing. Everything about it is just bad. My prediction is it won't haunt us (since we got Kalish, and JBJ and others ready soon) but it's a waste of money. hope I'm wrong, but this is really reverting to the old (as in bad) ways! Bad Ben!
      Indeed. The only change I've seen is the team is no handing out extremely long-term contracts since none of these deals handed out this winter exceed three years. Still, if there's nothing out there, then don't spend. There's no choice when there's no value on the market. While I liked Napoli and Victorino as players. Both players are coming off down seasons and they land contracts like these? One year? Sure, but three year deals at that price? I believe we had Beltre a couple of seasons ago on a one year deal at lower annual salary and he wasn't as poor as both of these players were last year.

The money seems high, but the team does seem to be avoiding long term contracts.

Comment

• Evangelion
        Baseball Fever Member
        • Dec 2005

You can look at this from whatever angle you want (and I have) but this is just a bad signing. Everything about it is just bad. My prediction is it won't haunt us (since we got Kalish, and JBJ and others ready soon) but it's a waste of money. hope I'm wrong, but this is really reverting to the old (as in bad) ways! Bad Ben!
        Indeed. The only change I've seen is the team is no handing out extremely long-term contracts since none of these deals handed out this winter exceed three years. Still, if there's nothing out there, then don't spend. There's no choice when there's no value on the market. While I liked Napoli and Victorino as players. Both players are coming off down seasons and they land contracts like these? One year? Sure, but three year deals at that price? I believe we had Beltre a couple of seasons ago on a one year deal at lower annual salary and he wasn't as poor as both of these players were last year.

The money seems high, but the team does seem to be avoiding long term contracts.

Comment

• dominik
          • Oct 2008

I'm wondering why the red sox dump salary by trading away a prime player like gonzalez for not much and then sign washed up old guys to expensive multi year contracts (not extremely long but still 3 years). I could understand doing a rebuild but what they are doing now is not really a rebuild.
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
            #firedavedombrowski
            • Oct 2010

What I don't understand in the Victorino signing is how they let his price both in terms of years and AAV end up so high? I understand that there is competition for OFers and that prices are inflated because the industry is flush with cash, but there are other options.

Fiscal responsibility doesn't just mean to abstain form 5+ year contracts for the top tier FAs. It also means to be willing to pass on FAs whose market explodes! If a 32 year old player has a significant down year, you sign that player to a value contract (a steal so to speak) not to an expensive multi year deal!

I disagree with Klaw that Victorino is essentially a fourth OFer but I am worried about his 2012 season and whether that is an outlier or the start of a decline. Also, he blows against RHP and is a SHONE*.

*Switch Hitter In Name Only
            Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 12-06-2012, 03:28 AM.
            Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
              #firedavedombrowski
              • Oct 2010

Sox close to signing Uehara (finally!). If the Red Sox suck in 2013 it won't be because of the bullpen. Bailey, Tazawa, Uehara, Melancon, Miller, Bresolw and Aceves plus potentially Bard (assuming Melancon is traded), that should be a damn good bullpen!
              Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• 9&10
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                I'm wondering why the red sox dump salary by trading away a prime player like gonzalez for not much and then sign washed up old guys to expensive multi year contracts (not extremely long but still 3 years). I could understand doing a rebuild but what they are doing now is not really a rebuild.
                Why don't you ask them?

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                  #firedavedombrowski
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                  I don't think I can fully agree with this statement. First of all, the traded two bad contracts away together with Gonzalez. That is significant. Second, they did get a significant return (Webster and Rubby are our #4 and #5 prospects). Third, I don't fully agree with with the washed up old guys part. I would have thought all three (Gomes, Napoli and Victorino) should have cost less, but Gomes can be a very productive player if used correctly, Napoli maybe a one dimensional player but he he can be a force. Fourth, if they are unwilling to give up prospects/draft picks and unwilling to hand out 5+ years to FAs then the Napolis and Victorinos are what's left. And none of these guys block anyone.

I don't like and don't understand the Victorino signing, but otherwise I think it's a solid offseason so far. Expect them to trade Saltalamacchia, sign a SP later in the off season (the one who's left of the second tier SPs: Marcum, MCCarthy, Jackson...) and add depth. The only way I see them pull the trigger on a major trade is if they are overwhelmed.

The point is, this might not be the sexiest Red Sox team but it has the potential to be a very good one.
                  Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                    US Air Force Retired
                    • Jun 2003

Sox close to signing Uehara (finally!). If the Red Sox suck in 2013 it won't be because of the bullpen. Bailey, Tazawa, Uehara, Melancon, Miller, Bresolw and Aceves plus potentially Bard (assuming Melancon is traded), that should be a damn good bullpen!
                    yes, that was a pretty nifty pick up and the Sox bullpen should be excellent this year. Nice signing!

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
                      • Jan 2006

Well the bullpen is phenomenal on paper and potential. I guess this is what you do when you lack SP options. Minimalize the innings that are thrown by SP and enlarge your bullpen. And even in AAA we have bullpen guys that would probably be in the MLB right now if they were on an other club. The bullpen is totally loaded.

As for Victorino, I just think its a shame. The offseason was going that well and I was really proud of my Red Sox doing smart undervalued baseball moves. suddendly a really bad contract is handed out and I was really surprised and thought, that the Red Sox would know better. Victorino is a good player for 2/18 or so. Hopefully they know something we don't. But I hoped that when they signed Crawford, Lugo, Renteria, Cameron etc, too. There are obvious signs of decline in Victorino. If this turns out to be a big mistake, we will be able to say, that we knew all along. The Red Sox need a starter now I guess. Still favoring Ellsbury (gone anyway) for Teheran and somebody else.
                      I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
                        • Jan 2006

Sox Roster if the season began today:

SP Lester
                        SP Buchholz
                        SP Doubront
                        SP Lackey
                        SP De la Rosa
                        SP Barnes AAA
                        SP Webster AAA
                        SP Workman AAA
                        SP Ranaudo AA

CF Ellsbury
                        2B Pedroia
                        DH Ortiz
                        1B Napoli
                        3B Middlebrooks
                        RF Victorino
                        LF Gomes/Kalish
                        C Ross/Saltalamacchia
                        SS Iglesias/Ciriaco

CL Bailey
                        RP Bard
                        RP Uehara
                        RP Tazawa
                        RP Breslow
                        RP Miller
                        RP Morales SP?
                        RP Melancon AAA
                        RP Aceves
                        RP Mortensen AAA
                        RP Carpenter AAA
                        RP Atchison (could return on Milb contract)
                        RP Hill (could return on milb contract)
                        RP Wilson AAA

They need a legit SP and also SP depth. Because behind the rotation there are the prospects only. With five catchers on the 40-man roster, I'm pretty sure a trade with catchers involved will be done for SP help. The Yankees need catching desperately...:-) not happening...
                        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                          #firedavedombrowski
                          • Oct 2010

One American League GM said Victorino “should have been in the $7 million-$11 million range. What they paid him is ridiculous.”
                          It wasn't me (I'm no GM, haha) but I strongly agree. I still don't have any idea what they see in him.

Comment

• raysnbran
                            Clubhouse Lawyer
                            • Jan 2005

How would you all feel if Youkilis signed with the Yankees? Worse than Damon going there or is that just baseball nowadays, to where they don't take the rivalries as seriously as the fans do?
                            Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                              US Air Force Retired
                              • Jun 2003

Youk is done...so if he wants to sign with the Yankees, then i say good. I soured on him a couple of years ago and he has gone downhill from there.

Comment

• SDL
                                Who the hell is Stan Papi
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by raysnbran View Post
                                How would you all feel if Youkilis signed with the Yankees? Worse than Damon going there or is that just baseball nowadays, to where they don't take the rivalries as seriously as the fans do?

He VOLUNTARILY signs with them, he becomes The Enemy as far as I am concerned.
                                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X