• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 9RoyHobbsRF
    The Natural
    • Jan 2009

Dodgers hot start or weak schedule?

the Dodgers are off to a great start but their schedule has been mostly san diego (weakest team by far in nl west), houston (weakest team in a

nl?), and pirates (no winning season since early 90s), they did play milwaukee and were lucky to scrape one win out of the series

are they that good or just the benficiary of playing all cellar dwellars to start the season?

I say the latter
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
    3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/
  • Rich the Giants fan
    Stretch 44
    • Feb 2009

Somewhere in the middle. I think they'll finish 3rd with a record over .500. Water finds it's level in the end.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
      2005 World Series Champs
      • Jun 2010

You gotta admit they do have a nice core of players. Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley and Dee Gordan. I like the Giants pitching but the Dodgers seem to be a pretty balanced team. Nice speed, good power and good pitching. I'm not sure if the Giants have enough offense.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• UnderPressure
        Blessing
        • May 2005

The Dodgers were lucky scrape one out of the Mileaukee series? Both of those two losses could've gone the other way. If anything, they were unlucky in that series.

As for your question, of course it has something to do with their weak schedule. But you can only beat what's in front of you.
        Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
          The Natural
          • Jan 2009

^ they lost the first two and were trailing in the third
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jnakamura
            • Oct 2008

Meh.

We'll see in September who's the best team in the West.

Speculate all you want, Dodger haters.
            I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
            - Walt Whitman

Comment

• UnderPressure
              Blessing
              • May 2005

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
              ^ they lost the first two and were trailing in the third
              Way to miss my point.
              Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

• KevinWI
                #271 all-time BBF poster
                • Aug 2007

Dodgers are for real. I think they're a top notch team in the NL this year.

Brewers are off to a slow start, Weeks/Ramirez not hitting and pitching has been meh. Dodgers should have spanked them. Those games will be the outliers for LA, I think. All three games in the Brew-Dodgers series were very close and for the first two, I just think Ron Roenicke just out-managed Donnie Baseball. See the beautiful suicide squeeze by Norichika Aoki in Game 2.

Brewers GM Doug Melvin was on Brewers TV during Game 3 of the Dodgers series and he even said that among GM circles, word is the Dodgers will be good this year.

Comment

• UnderPressure
                  Blessing
                  • May 2005

It's a two-man show on offense for the Dodgers right now. Loney might start tearing it up again but he's no power hitter. The horrible supporting cast for Kemp and Ethier will cost us. I hope Sands and Federowicz will start hitting well in AAA so they can get called up ASAP. I hope they put Uribe on the 60-day DL.

Comment

• DownUnderDodger
                    Learning all the time.
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                    It's a two-man show on offense for the Dodgers right now. Loney might start tearing it up again but he's no power hitter. The horrible supporting cast for Kemp and Ethier will cost us. I hope Sands and Federowicz will start hitting well in AAA so they can get called up ASAP. I hope they put Uribe on the 60-day DL.
                    You said it for me. The rest of the offense need to stand up and be counted because Kemp & Ethier cannot carry them every game. The test will come this week when the Braves (10-5) and Nats (12-4) come to town.
                    Mind you, every win counts so it is a great start to the season.
                    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• CokeMachineGlow
                      The Alderson Era
                      • May 2010

Weak schedule.

Comment

• dominik
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                        the Dodgers are off to a great start but their schedule has been mostly san diego (weakest team by far in nl west), houston (weakest team in a

nl?), and pirates (no winning season since early 90s), they did play milwaukee and were lucky to scrape one win out of the series

are they that good or just the benficiary of playing all cellar dwellars to start the season?

I say the latter
                        the schedule was weak but still they got a hot start.
                        baseball is a game that is mostly played between .400 and .600. even the weakest teams win not much less than 40% of their games and even the strongest teams don't win much more than 60% of the games.

that means if a team wins 80% of their games they are off to a hot start no matter who they are playing. this is not sustainable of course.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• jnakamura
                          • Oct 2008

Well here we are a month later....Dodgers are decimated by injuries and still swept the Cardinals.....Still the best record in baseball and the biggest divisional lead.

Kemp still at least 9 days from returning....Bills still a head case.

At this point, the Dodgers only have to go .500 to win 88....62-59 to win 90 or 67-54 to win 95....

Enough to win the West?

-
                          Last edited by jnakamura; 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM.
                          - Walt Whitman

Comment

• RaysFan_98
                            • Jan 2012

Just like the O's the Dodgers will cool off soon.
                            All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. -Unknown

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. -Nelson Mandela

Comment

• jnakamura
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
                              Just like the O's the Dodgers will cool off soon.
                              No doubt. But it's coming close to the point where all they have to do is play .500 for the rest of the season to win 90 games. Of course they could always tank and play horrible baseball....who knows...
                              - Walt Whitman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X