• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnakamura
    • Oct 2008

New Astros owner may change name of team

Maybe last season ever for the ASTROS

New Houston Astros owner Jim Crane is considering changing the name of the franchise as well as its uniforms.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman
  • Yankeefan3783
    • Oct 2008

As mentioned, Astros pays homage to the Astrodome and the space program, even if those things aren't around anymore, I still don't see a reason to change it. If they're debating on simply keeping the name Astros or reverting back to the Colt .45's, that's fine, but if it's going to be a new (probably generic) name, then it's dumb.

Also, they should stay in the NL!

Comment

• Blue387
      Ya gotta believe
      • Jul 2010

How about the Houston Comets?

The Brewers should have moved back to the American League but they have friends in high places.
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• jnakamura
        • Oct 2008

I know the 'Stros have never won a World Series, but is the franchise that disposable that it would be "not that big a deal" to their fan base to dump their 47-year history as the ASTROS and adopt a completely new identity?

The owner used the analogy that they already changed names once before, but 3 years as the Colts is not quite the same as 47 years as the Astros, is it?
        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• RUKen
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
          I know the 'Stros have never won a World Series, but is the franchise that disposable that it would be "not that big a deal" to their fan base to dump their 47-year history as the ASTROS and adopt a completely new identity? The owner used the analogy that they already changed names once before, but 3 years as the Colts is not quite the same as 47 years as the Astros, is it?
          I don't live in the Houston area, but it seems unlikely to me that changing the team nickname will alienate the fan base, lowering attendance and television ratings. Making a change like this will probably result in an increase in the sale of apparel with the team name, just as changing the colors inspires people to buy the up-to-date clothing. This is especially likely if the new nickname is something that resonates with young baseball fans in east Texas, rather than something generic. Once the team wins its first World Series with the new name, the nostalgia for the old name will fade, as it did years ago for fans of the Highlanders, Robins, and Beaneaters.

Comment

• CandlestickBum
            2010, Year of the Giant
            • Aug 2006

New Astros owner considering name change

Reported this morning:

"New Astros owner Jim Crane says he is considering changing the name of the franchise as well as it's uniforms when Houston makes the move to the American League West in 2013"

What new name do you think would be good for an AL Houston Team?

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
              • Sep 2010

Horrible idea. Astros is a fine name.

Of course they'll never get away with returning to Colt 45s...
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• milladrive
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
                As mentioned, Astros pays homage to the Astrodome and the space program, even if those things aren't around anymore, I still don't see a reason to change it. If they're debating on simply keeping the name Astros or reverting back to the Colt .45's, that's fine, but if it's going to be a new (probably generic) name, then it's dumb.
                Something tells me they're not going to revert to the Colt .45s. So, I agree it's dumb to consider changing the name.

Also, they should stay in the NL!
                Well, we know that's not gonna happen.

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                How about the Houston Comets?

The Brewers should have moved back to the American League but they have friends in high places.
                Actually, the primary reason it's the Astros and not the Brewers is that the AL West needs a team in order to help create six five-team divisions. The Brewers wouldn't be a good choice for a West Division team.

Either way, although it wouldn't ruin my life, I hope they don't change their name.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• ian2813
                  야구
                  • Dec 2009

As much as I hate breaking with tradition, it already feels like the Astros as we know them will be dead once they go to the American League. Perhaps a name change wouldn't be altogether inappropriate. Of course, I don't have any better suggestions.

I'm definitely in favor of new uniforms, however. I've never cared for the ones they currently sport.
                  Last edited by ian2813; 01-24-2012, 08:46 AM.
                  Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• Seattle1
                    Mariners
                    • Jun 2006

I never liked the name Astros but my dislike for throwing away tradition is greater. I hope they stay the Astros.

:twocents:

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                      Slippery when wet
                      • Nov 2008

What's wrong with Astros? It's one of the more clever names out there, and it's location-appropriate in two ways -- not just because the space program is headquartered in Houston, but also because "astro" means "star," which is fitting for a team in the Lone Star State. Crane changing the name after forcing the team to switch leagues would literally be adding insult to injury.
                      *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                        Braves Fan For Life
                        • Nov 2005

I think the key word with the name change is "considering". Crane's already in an edgy situation with the impending league change. If he completely destroys the legacy of the Astros with a name change, there will be hell to pay form the fans.

I'd love it if they changed their uniforms. The current ones are okay, but they've run their course a litlte bit.
                        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• UnderPressure
                          Blessing
                          • May 2005

What will it be? Another animal?
                          Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                            Braves Fan For Life
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                            What will it be? Another animal?
                            Cougars! :P
                            46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• howiek
                              • Aug 2007

They should come up with a new name.
                              My vote would be the Longhorns
                              sigpic
                              As of 1/11/15 7369 Autographs and Growing!! 6472 of which are Baseball!
                              164 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
                              http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
                              Check out my new Blog
                              www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X