• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KevinWI
    #271 all-time BBF poster
    • Aug 2007

Brewers 2011 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

It'll be a big off-season for the Brewers, as you guys know.

They're losing Fielder, but keeping all the pieces around him, including Weeks, Hart, Braun, Grenike, Marcum and Gallardo.

Despite a lot of solid players staying with the team, there's some question marks.

1B - A lot of people seem to think they'll move Hart to 1B to replace Fielder. I don't think Mat Gamel will be able to recreate his minor league stats in the Majors. The times he's been called up, I haven't been impressed with his at-bats.

SS - The Brewers have a 6 mil option on Betancourt. There's been talk bout the Brewers going after Jose Reyes. I'd decline the option on Betancourt and go after Reyes. Reyes -> Weeks -> Braun is a scary top of the order.

3B - Sigh.... I thought Casey McGehee would be the 3B here for a long time but this season was a disaster. My father thinks we should bring back Jerry Hairston Jr. next year to play 3B, but Hairston is 35. Can he play 3B all season and hold up?

OF - I think the Crew should bring back Morgan. He had some great at-bats, and who would trade for him at this point anyway. If Hart does move to 1B, then the Crew will probably put Morgan at RF full time. That leaves a gap at CF. I love Gomez on defense, but his bat is lacking. Maybe the Brewers can get a middle-upper tier free agent centerfielder if they can't get Reyes.

SP - Gallardo isn't going anywhere for a long time, and the Brewers have Greinke, Wolf and Marcum for one more year. Plus all the fifth-spot regulars like Estrada, Parra and Navreson aren't going anywhere. The rotation will be more or less that same, I recon. Doubt Melvin will drop any money on a big name free agent here.

MR - I'd resign LaTroy Hawkins and Takashi Satio, I think they pitched well this season out of the pen. As for the other guys, I dunno. Lot of question marks there.

CL - No questions here. Axford all the way. Have fun pitching for the Dodgers, K-Rod.
  • Blue387
    Ya gotta believe
    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by KevinWI View Post
    SS - The Brewers have a 6 mil option on Betancourt. There's been talk bout the Brewers going after Jose Reyes. I'd decline the option on Betancourt and go after Reyes. Reyes -> Weeks -> Braun is a scary top of the order.
    Reyes might be too expensive for Milwaukee. And I don't like the idea of Reyes not playing for the Mets. Everybody wants Reyes on their team. I cannot accept this. Ruben Tejada will be his replacement but he can't hit. Don't people realize that once Reyes is gone, Ruben Tejada will be the Mets' shortstop? That would be a significant downgrade. He has a sub-700 OPS in 96 games this season!
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• KevinWI
      #271 all-time BBF poster
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
      Reyes might be too expensive for Milwaukee.
      I dunno about that. Mark Attanasio has shown a tenancy to spend a lot of money on the team. The Brewers payroll was $93 mil this year and I expect it to be higher next year, considering the Brewers had another 3 million home attendance season this year.

Comment

• Blue387
        Ya gotta believe
        • Jul 2010

I dunno about that. Mark Attanasio has shown a tenancy to spend a lot of money on the team. The Brewers payroll was $93 mil this year and I expect it to be higher next year, considering the Brewers had another 3 million home attendance season this year.
        If there is money, do the Brewers intend to offer Fielder a contract - any sort of contract - or will they let him walk?

Comment

• Blue387
          Ya gotta believe
          • Jul 2010

By the way, here's photos of some Brewers merchandise had they won the pennant, which will probably end up being worn by people in Africa:

Comment

• KevinWI
            #271 all-time BBF poster
            • Aug 2007

If there is money, do the Brewers intend to offer Fielder a contract - any sort of contract - or will they let him walk?
            I think they'll let him walk. Before this season, he turned down an offer of $100 mil/5 years. I don't know if the Brewers want to invest more in a guy with that body style. He's played a lot of games and hasn't been seriously injured yet, but eventually that gut will catch up with him.

Comment

• brewcrew82
              Mod against IL play!
              • Jan 2000

I think they will decline the option on Betancourt, if they do pick it up it will be on the strength of his post season (which would be a mistake).

I like the pitching staff going into next year, despite the late season struggles of Marcum, I think he's still an important piece in the rotation.

I can see them bringing back Morgan, but I think he may overstay his welcome next year, particularly if the Brewers struggle.
              As for the rest of the outfield, I have heard the suggestion of Hart to 1B elsewhere and if that's the avenue they go down I hope they do pick up a decent FA outfielder.

I really hope the organisation doesn't rest on their laurels after this year because the loss of Prince will create a big hole that McGehee/Gamel/Hart etc will not be able to fill alone.
              RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• brewcrew82
                Mod against IL play!
                • Jan 2000

By the way, here's photos of some Brewers merchandise had they won the pennant, which will probably end up being worn by people in Africa:

http://www.sportslogos.net/blog/2011...m-merchandise/
                I wonder what happens to the pennants...Obviously the clothes get put to good use by charities in Africa/Central America etc, but what good would a pennant be to them?
                RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• KevinWI
                  #271 all-time BBF poster
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
                  I really hope the organisation doesn't rest on their laurels after this year because the loss of Prince will create a big hole that McGehee/Gamel/Hart etc will not be able to fill alone.
                  I think they have to have a competitive team next year. Attanasio has invested in big contracts for Braun, Gallardo, Hart and Weeks and being a businessman, I don't think he can let this team that he invested money in slip to another 90-loss team season.

I've also heard Taylor Green mentioned as a possible 3B for next year. He had a good season this year in the minors, batting over .330 and getting 22 home runs, so he could be a choice there. I just doubt anybody can make an instant splash in the majors like Ryan Braun did in 2007.

Comment

• KevinWI
                    #271 all-time BBF poster
                    • Aug 2007

I wonder if Doug Melvin is interested in Casey Kotchman. He's a free agent 1B and had a great year in Tampa last year, went .300.

Also, talk of Corey Hart moving to 1B seems to have died down. They could move Hart to 1B, and trade either Greinke or Marcum for a top OF. Or trading K-Rod is not unlikely. Maybe even expected. Though, I dunno if they will be able to move his $8 mil and I wouldn't trade Axford.

Comment

• The Dude
                      Going on a neature walk
                      • Jun 2003

I wonder if Doug Melvin is interested in Casey Kotchman. He's a free agent 1B and had a great year in Tampa last year, went .300.

Also, talk of Corey Hart moving to 1B seems to have died down. They could move Hart to 1B, and trade either Greinke or Marcum for a top OF. Or trading K-Rod is not unlikely. Maybe even expected. Though, I dunno if they will be able to move his $8 mil and I wouldn't trade Axford.
                      We already shipped off our best prospects for Greinke and Marcum ... would you really want to just trade them away when you can try and sign them?
                      AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                      AL Pennant: 1982
                      NL Central Champions: 2011
                      NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

• KevinWI
                        #271 all-time BBF poster
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        We already shipped off our best prospects for Greinke and Marcum ... would you really want to just trade them away when you can try and sign them?
                        Both are going to probably go for $15mil+ salaries each. I doubt the Brewers can keep both, so why not trade one.

Comment

• Blue387
                          Ya gotta believe
                          • Jul 2010

Has anyone else noticed the Brewers lineup is too biased in favor of right-handed hitters?

Comment

• KevinWI
                            #271 all-time BBF poster
                            • Aug 2007

Has anyone else noticed the Brewers lineup is too biased in favor of right-handed hitters?
                            Well, in previous years, Prince Fielder was enough of a LHB for the whole lineup.

Sounds like Mat Gamel will get the nod at 1B, he's a lefty. If they sign Aoki, he's a lefty. Nyjer Morgan had a good year last year, he's a lefty. So, yeah, probably a few RHB but not completely devoid of LHB.

Comment

• KevinWI
                              #271 all-time BBF poster
                              • Aug 2007

In addition to Roenicke getting a contract extension, Attanasio says he's also interesting in giving GM Doug Melvin a contract extension.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X