X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TonyK
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
    In general, you shouldn't post opinions on an internet message board if you can't handle people disagreeing with you.

Heck, that's what these places are for...if we all agreed, this place would be DULL!

Or am I wrong?
    I disagree. ;-)
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

• Boston Boxer
      US Air Force Retired
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
      I disagree. ;-)
      unfortunately Tony, you will need to back that up with stats

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
        #firedavedombrowski
        • Oct 2010

Tazawa looked really good I thought and Rich Hill will be activated soon. Hill was nasty before he went down last year. Hope this will help to stabilize the pen. (Yes I can back up all of that;-) )
        Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Mike D.
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
          I disagree. ;-)
          :hissyfit:WAAAAA!

Um....yes...I mean "that's cool". :cap:
          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Mike D.
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
            Tazawa looked really good I thought and Rich Hill will be activated soon. Hill was nasty before he went down last year. Hope this will help to stabilize the pen. (Yes I can back up all of that;-) )
            Tazawa had become a bit of a "forgotten man", but before his injury, he was considered a guy with a good amount of upside who might be ready in short order. The switch to the pen is good for him, I think. He's got the potential to be a solid arm in the pen.

I agree on Hill...sounds like he could be activated soon (goodbye Justin Thomas?) and could be a stabilizing force (or at least a nice lefty option along with Morales).

I still think Melancon will be a major contributor this year. He's pitched well in Pawtucket so far (only 3.1 IP, but still) and if he can get right, that goes a LONG way towards solidifying the pen.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
              • Jan 2006

In general, you shouldn't post opinions on an internet message board if you can't handle people disagreeing with you.

Heck, that's what these places are for...if we all agreed, this place would be DULL!

Or am I wrong?
              i'm with you. We are also here to debate, exchange informations and to know that we are not alone when we cheer or hate when things go as they go. But you also have to be cool with critics if you are talking nonsense, which is relative of course...
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                unfortunately Tony, you will need to back that up with stats

hahaha. Yeah, right.

Comment

• maximum jack
                  Weep to water the trees.
                  • Aug 2006

Could someon explain Aaron Cook's "opt out clause" for me? Does it really mean he could walk after May 1? If so, wouldn't it be prudent just to bring him up?
                  "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

• Mike D.
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
                    Could someon explain Aaron Cook's "opt out clause" for me? Does it really mean he could walk after May 1? If so, wouldn't it be prudent just to bring him up?
                    Yes, if he's not on the major league roster by May 1st, he can opt to become a FA and sign with any team.

The only problem with bringing him up is who do you boot from the rotation? Doubront has pitched well, and Bard has a lot of potential. The other guys are all signed for good money.

Cook is dominating AAA hitters, but has a career ERA over 4.50 (in Colorado, yes, but also in the NL).

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
                      • Jan 2006

Yes, if he's not on the major league roster by May 1st, he can opt to become a FA and sign with any team.

The only problem with bringing him up is who do you boot from the rotation? Doubront has pitched well, and Bard has a lot of potential. The other guys are all signed for good money.

Cook is dominating AAA hitters, but has a career ERA over 4.50 (in Colorado, yes, but also in the NL).
                      I heard, he had two opt outs. One by May 1st and one by June 1st. Like Mike said, I really don't want to dump anybody from the rotation right now. We can try to trade him or just let him opt out. I think Hill will replace Thomas not too far from today.

Comment

• Mike D.
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                        I heard, he had two opt outs. One by May 1st and one by June 1st. Like Mike said, I really don't want to dump anybody from the rotation right now. We can try to trade him or just let him opt out. I think Hill will replace Thomas not too far from today.
                        It's a pretty standard thing put into veterans contracts when they sign minor league deals. He's pitching well enough that someone will give him a big league job, so if everyone is healthy, the Sox will probably let him go.

I agree that Hill taking Thomas' spot as the 2nd lefty in the pen is probable, and should be an upgrade.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                          #firedavedombrowski
                          • Oct 2010

I heard, he had two opt outs. One by May 1st and one by June 1st.
                          That is correct.

I think Hill will replace Thomas not too far from today.
                          Partly correct. Hill up, Thomas down. But not "not too far from today" but today! ;-)
                          Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                            #firedavedombrowski
                            • Oct 2010

It's a pretty standard thing put into veterans contracts when they sign minor league deals.
                            If I'm not mistaken, under the new CBA, it's an automatic clause in minor league deals. But I don't know the exact specifics...

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                              #firedavedombrowski
                              • Oct 2010

Exactly! It's no doubt a nice problem to have. If I remember correctly, Cook signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox over a major league team with another team. So maybe he can be convinced not to opt out on May 1st but to remain with the Sox until at least May 31st and if the Sox then still don't have an opening in the rotation, he can join another team?

Comment

• dominik
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
                                I didn't say I was an expert. Nor did I mean to suggest that you have no clue. But explain this: How can a team be consistently among the top 3 offensive teams when -as you suggest - they only hit well against bad pitchers but not against good or even mediocre pitchers? Please explain your thinking.

Also, feel free to answer the other questions I asked in my previous post. Who are the players the Red Sox held on to too long?
                                Well I do think that you shouldn't hold blocked prospects till they are 25 in the minors. they did that a lot even youk came up at 25.

And anderson, lavarnway and middlebrooks are not really young either.

My opinion is that if you don't have a place in the lineup for a top prospect at age 23 trade him. all star players are in the majors at age 23, most of them are starters. After that age they don't become any more valuable. A 27 yo minor leaguer is basically worthless. so give them a shot early and if they are blocked trade them for a more needed position. you have to consider value and also developement there. It doesn't help a players motivation to rot in AAA ball for years if they know they will be blocked till they re 30.

of course you need replacement but if I had a star player I would go for young and high upside players instead of letting a guy in his mid 20s getting old and demotivated at AAA ball.
                                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X