• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rennie Stennett
    7-for-7
    • Mar 2006

Spring Training 2009

Any and all things Spring Training.

Luis Pena picked up by the M's. Luis was picked up when the Brew Crew put him on waivers. He's a right hander.

I know some nations take the World Baseball Classic seriously but Kenji Johhima, who had a bad year last year, will play for Japan in the WBC and miss some time at camp. Most players, it seems, said they would play, but at the last minute bail out for several reasons. If I was a big leaguer, I'd miss it to and go to camp.
  • Rennie Stennett
    7-for-7
    • Mar 2006

WBC and other wanderings

Ryan Rowland-Smith has to decided not to pitch for the Australian WBC club. As you know, Rock-n-Rollin' Smith pitched well in whatever roll he has been in the past couple of years, including starting and he should give them a battle for a rotation spot.

Also, Miguel Batista has said he wants the closer spot. Relieving and closing is not new to Batista who pitched from the pen with Toronto a few years ago, which included closing and mopping up. It has been said that he has a rubber arm and going every day should not be a problem. In the injury department, It is learned that Batista pitched with two fractures in his back (ouch) last year and he never offered a complaint about it the whole year. Many ball players will not admit to injuries because they do not want any excuses and most of them are stand up guys. This is the case with Batista. Closing takes a certain mindset and I believe Batista has this. I compare this to a golf tournament on Sunday afternoon. It takes a certain person that can finish the job. Since I"m on the soap box today, remember it takes 27 outs to win a ball game. You can't run out the clock.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
      7-for-7
      • Mar 2006

Ken Griffey Jr.

Well it looks as though it is 50/50 as to whether Jr will sign with the M's or the Braves and the decision should be soon. Buster Olney of ESPN, who was on the Softy Show (KJR Seattle, 950 am, 10AM-1PM, Monday thru Friday) and he says he would bet the farm that Griffey will sign with the Braves of Atlanta.

I was just about warmed to the fact of Griffey returning, when the Braves jumped into the fray. Why Atlanta would want him, I don't know. I was reading a Braves Blog and some of the citizens there have in their head that Griffey would be good to have around the younger guys. This is crazy. I know Griffey has been through a bunch in life the past few years and I'm sure he's grown up some, but I think he's the same old Griffey.

Another interesting note is the M's suddenly have their own payroll cap or something. Is this due to the economy ? Is there some uncertainty as to whether M's fans will dish out big bucks for a ticket and a beer this year ? The M's have always made a profit, even with the high budget free agent signings the past few years, which include Big Sexy Sexson, Adrian Beltre, Miguel Batista, Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn and others. Attendance has continued to decline the past eight years since the big 2001 year when the M's were mentioned with the Cubs of the early 1900's as far as wins in a season are concerned. Another factor is the Winters here in Seattle. Pardon me if I have not noticed the Winters up until the last few years or that we have run into a string of bad ones or maybe I am just gettin old or what, but when Summer rolls around in the Puget Sound area, the last thing we want to do is go to the ball park. Sure, when we get the Ya-Ya's out of our system then we can take in some baseball, provided that they are interesting and most importantly, the local nine are playing some decent baseball. I am off track somewhat, but I don't get the concern with the budget this year. I understand where the M's are trying to go and how they are trying to get there but throwing off some money to a Griffey or Anderson or whomever doesn't seem to me to make much difference. Personally, and I have said this before, I don't want the old over the hill guy coming in and taking AB's from a Balientien or whomever. Let these guys play. Sure there will be some lumps along the way. Don't fret if you don't see me posting on here. I am flying to Arizona to try out for a bullpen catcher with the M's seeing that the Times Paper said they have 31 pitchers in camp and only four Catchers. I can strap on the gear for a month or so provide that no one is working on a new split finger pitch or whatever.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
        7-for-7
        • Mar 2006

Josh Fields

Josh Fields held his press conference Monday along with Big Z. Check out the sneakers on Big Z in the following video:

dude is stylin'

more on Griffey:

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
          7-for-7
          • Mar 2006

Spring has Sprung

One of the tough things about Spring Training is fans seem so removed unless they buy a plane ticket head down to Arizona. I used to go almost every year but I have not been to Arizona in a few years. Way back when it was cool to go down there. The M's sucked every year, so there was not a bunch of M's fans down there so lodging was affordable and tickets could be found. Now, heading to warmer climates in February and March is nothing new for Pacific Northwesterners. Fans from the NW get sick of the doom and gloom that is Seattle Winters and by March they are ready to explode. We don't get the Winters of say Chicago, Cleveland, Fargo, Deadwood, NY, and the like but we have our own brand misery here.

It wouldn't be bad if some games were on TV but there are only a few that are broadcast and even if you get to see one, the startering players usually get a few AB's and there gone for the day to get some work in or go play Golf somewhere. The games are on the radio, but usually they have a noon local time start and unless you work for yourself it's hard to hear the game. I used to in the past not listen to any baseball stuff from the end of the World Series til the next year and this included Spring Training. Then, with like a week to go until the start of the year, I'd pull my head out of the sand and read the sports page and whatever else I could to get caught up on who plays for who and what have you. Now a days it's tough. With Seattle having local sports radio and sites like Baseball-Fever, I'm up to date on everything as far as baseball goes, all the timed.

This year, Spring Training should be fun. Many jobs are up for grabs. There will be some serious competition to make the club. The M's have thirty pitchers in camp and almost as many 1st baseman and DH. Even the middle infielders could fell some pressure but you would have to think that Lopez is a lock at second base because of his steady bat he displayed last year.

Other interesting things happening the other day is JJ Putz came out and basically knocked Ichiro for not being a team guy, without JJ actually saying #51's name. I also found out the Ichiro doesn't stay with the team at their hotel and some times he flys on his own. Ichiro doesn't talk to the media much even though I hear he has good english skills since arriving here what eight years ago. The story of Silva saying that there is a no name player who only cares about his stats was attributed to Ichiro. Chemistry is a big deal for teams in whatever sport your in and this really counts in baseball. You have to know guys have your back. You have to know a guy will try to move you over or give himself up to bring you in. Likewise, in the field. Why should you dive for a ball when the guy next to you doesn't. Why should you move a guy over when other guys won't do it. IF a guy or guys only care about their numbers then after some time everyone is out for themselves. Ichiro won't steal a bag unless he is 100% sure he can make it. He doesn't take chances on the bases either. Ichiro just wants to get his two hits and run to the clubhouse and hide from the media.

I have raised the question in the past of moving Ichiro back to the three hole in the batting order. Many citizens on this board react to this idea by saying that Ichiro is a prototypical lead off hitter. They mention all the singles and infield hits he gets. They say why the Heck would you do that ?

As report over in the Ichiro thread, http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=19524

I argued that Ichiro played RF and hit cleanup his last year in Japan. I mentioned that Ichiro also hit third the last three or four years in Japan playing for the Blue Wave. I backed it up by citing a blog http://marinerds.blogspot.com/ . The young lady who runs this blog does a ton of work and it is one of the most interesting blogs. She used to live in the Seattle area and much of the blog was focused on the Mariners and mlb. She currently lives over in Japan and now the blog is focused on Japanese baseball. She is one lucky person to live there and take in as much Japanese Pro Baseball as she can stand. I am often intriqued by the Japanese Baseball scene over there and how the fans love the game so much and they have player songs and it's a down right party in the stands every night. Anyway back to the point.

Ichiro would, IMHO, be great number three hitter. He would come up to the dish with guys on base and this would open up the infield for Ichiro and with his bat control he could make the opposition look bad as he carved up the infield. Have you ever looked at Ichiro's stats with guys on base like the bases loaded or first and third ? He is a down right monster with guys on base. I think this gives Ichiro a sense of purpose up there. You can see his brain working overtime as he ponders what to do. Where will they pitch me ? Where can I hit the ball ? How many times does Ichiro smack a ball of a infielder's glove and the then the defender has to put it in his pocket as everyone is safe ? I think this will go a long way towards Ichiro being more of a team player. Ichiro will have a challenge, a sense of purpose, with just about every at bat. Guy on third or second and third with less then two outs. No problem. Ichiro can lift a ball to the outfield. I checked out Ichiro's stats in Japan and I compared the seasons he led off vs the seasons he hit third or fourth. The years he hit third or fourth, Ichiro had more power numbers. He had more doubles and more RBI"s and even a few more HR's. He walked less and struck out a little more but no big deal. He was driving runners in. The years he hit first, he had less power numbers. He walked more and hit for a better average. This won't make Ichiro a total team player but this could go a long way towards this goal.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
            7-for-7
            • Mar 2006

in the news

There is so many stories going on right now and so many players in the M"s camp that I cannot keep up with it all.

Adrian Beltre commenting on the Ichiro story that Ichiro is not a team player and only cares for his stats, but he won't mention any names. Why is Ichiro at the WBC ? Can't teams say no to this ? The WBC classic is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. It happens during the worst time of the year. What would be a good time you ask ?

Just a question: Why does Beltre have to swing so darn hard at every pitch that he offers at ? I mean come on. Can he just make contact some time. He's strong enough that if he makes contact the ball will travel.

Jamie Moyer commenting on A-Rod's PED use.

JJ Putz commenting on Ichiro.

Silva arrives to camp 30 pounds lighter.

Griffey will anounce some time, some day, where he has decide to play in 2009: Seattle or Atlanta.

Kenji Johjima will play for Japan in the WBC, although he stunk it up last year in Seattle and signed a multi year deal in 2008 which shocked the world.

Ichiro will play in the WBC but will not pitch in the WBC although he tossed a 56 pitch bull pen session which included 21 curveballs and an occasional fork ball and his fastball touched 92 mph.

Team Japan manager Tatsunori Hara actually said he might use Ichiro Suzuki to pitch in emergency situations in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

M's general manager Jack Zduriencik said "He's not going to pitch."

Former M's Manager, Riggleman said that there was issues in the M's clubhouse as far as Ichiro not being a team player and he actually had to call players into his office and tell them to chill out.

Adrian Beltre wants to play in the WBC although he went through surgery in the off season.

did I miss anything ?
            Last edited by Rennie Stennett; 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling grammer ect

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
              7-for-7
              • Mar 2006

Winter League Stats

Winter league stats are sometimes misleading due to the fact that often pitcher and hitter are there working on something. Maybe they changed their swing. Maybe they are working on a new pitch. Anyway.

Greg Halman: AFL (.217) (83) AB's (15) runs (18) hits (3) 2B's (2) 3B's (3) HR's, (10) RBI's, (37) SO's, (5)SB's, (1) CS

Jose Lopez: VWL (.349) (28) games, (109) AB's, (26) runs, (38) hits, (9) 2B's, (0) (6) HR's, (34) RBI's, (.427) OBP, (.596) SLG, (1.024) OPS

Freddy Guzman: DWL (.265) (155) AB's (33) Runs, (41) hits, (7) 2B's, (2) HR's, 10 RBI's, (19) SB's, (2) CS,

Ronny Cedeno: VWL (.286) (185) AB's, (30) Runs, (53) Hits, (10) 2B's, (4) HR's,

More: http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/org.jsp?id=sea

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                7-for-7
                • Mar 2006

Sojo drops by to check on M's members of Team Venezuela

An old friend of the Mariners just dropped by, Luis Sojo, who was so instrumental as a utility infielder in the Mariners' drive to the post-season in 1995.
                ''I'm here to have a little face-to-face time with the guys,' said Sojo,

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                  7-for-7
                  • Mar 2006

Take 2

If you get a chance, check out Steve Rudman's take 2 in the Seattle P-I. I've been trying to find it online. without luck. The title of the piece is:

'SELFISH' STARS

It shows that Ichiro is 12th all time as a Mariner in Sac Bunts (22) and Sac Flys (27). Jose Lopez has 29 and 20 since 2004. Since 2005 to the present, Lopez leads with 28 and 19. Ichiro has 10 and 14 during this span.

Dan Wilson leads all time M's with 85 and 38.

Comment

• Stumanji
                    Leads league in optimism.
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Rennie Stennett View Post

Dan Wilson leads all time M's with 85 and 38.
                    When I was a Little League coach, I would tell my kids to watch Dan Wilson to learn how to bunt properly. The guy was awesome.
                    Swing and a drive! This one is deep! This one is... over the fence and into the neighbor's yard!

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                      7-for-7
                      • Mar 2006

Lost Art

Originally posted by Stumanji View Post
                      When I was a Little League coach, I would tell my kids to watch Dan Wilson to learn how to bunt properly. The guy was awesome.
                      It is a lost art.

Lopez lead the team in sac bunts and hits in 2008 and still had a nice batting average.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                        7-for-7
                        • Mar 2006

Ken Griffey Jr.

Pebble Beach Pro Am

Handicapped Best Ball Format:

Ron Christman of Kingwood was part of the winning team, along with Houston pro Chris Stroud, in the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am last weekend.

Christman, chairman of nGenera Corp., contributed 15 of the 23-under-par in the handicap best-ball format. Stroud, who starred at Lamar University, was 8 under in the rain-shortened 54-hole PGA Tour event to share sixth place.
                        T134 Bohn / Griffey, Jr. (SP) -- -- 72 67 68 -- 207

Ken Griffey Jr. plays to about a ten handicap.

"My dad (Ken Griffey) taught me that there's three parts: There's hitting, there's defense, and there's baserunning. And as long as you keep those three separated, you're going to be a good player. I mean, you can't take your defense on the bases, you can't take your hitting to the field, and you can't take your baserunning at the plate. But defense, is number one." - Ken Griffey, Jr.
                        Ken Griffey, Jr. quotes including baseball quotes from Ken Griffey, Jr. and baseball quotes about Ken Griffey, Jr.

"Why should I stretch? Does a cheetah stretch before it chases its prey?"
                        Ken Griffey Jr.

"We love Ken Griffey, Jr. because he is everything we would like to be. He's young, he's good-looking, he's got the best smile in the world, and he's a heroic athlete. He is a shot in the arm for baseball. He is what this game needs right now. He is creating excitement and making headlines just by his presence. There hasn't been anyone like that since... Reggie Jackson." - Hall of Fame Outfielder Reggie Jackson

Interview 3. Source GOLFonline (Dave Allen).

Golf: Have you ever played Sahalee?

Griffey: A handful of times. It's a lot of fun and very tough.

Golf: What do you think of the course and all those trees?

Griffey: We call those trees out there the Seattle symphony because when you hit it in the woods, it sounds like a wood section of a symphony: knock, knock-knock-knock.

Golf: How do you think Sahalee sets up for some of your Isleworth neighbors - Tiger Woods, Mark O'Meara, Lee Janzen?

Griffey: It will be a nice course for them. Hopefully, one of them will win so Team Isleworth can complete the sweep of all four majors. I'm sorry i'll be out of town (the Mariners are in Chicago to play the White Sox during the PGA), otherwise, I'd be out there rooting for all of them.

Golf: Since O'Meara and Janzen have already won majors this season, is there a lot of pressure on Tiger to win the PGA?

Griffey: It really has been quite a year for Team Isleworth. I'm proud of all the guys. Hopefully, Tiger can win at Sahalee. If not, he'll probably hear about it this winter. All winter.

Golf: Are you one of those guys like Michael Jordan who plays no matter what time of year it is, even during the baseball season?

Griffey: During the season, if I get the chance to play during an off day, i'll jump at the chance. I do play a lot during the offseason down in Florida. The courses I frequent in the Seattle area are Bear Creek Country Club and the Plateau Country Club.

Golf: Approximately how many rounds of golf would you say you play each year?

Griffey: During the season, i'll probably sneak in about ten rounds. In the offseason it jumps to about one-hundred ten.

Golf: Do you have a handicap?

Griffey: Ten. I go up and down. Some days I can't put everything together like the pros.

Golf: How would you rate yourself as a golfer? Single A level? Triple A? Big-league (Rick Rhoden) level?

Griffey: By the time I get to be Rick Rhoden's age, I hope to be playing at his level.

Golf: Compare playing golf in Seattle to playing in Florida. What's the biggest difference?

Griffey: I don't have to worry about alligators in Seattle and I don't have to worry about casual water in Florida.

Golf: What has been your single greatest thrill playing with Tiger and company at Isleworth?

Griffey: Just playing with the guys . . . Mark, Tiger, Lee, Payne and the rest. I outdrove Tiger once. He was fifty yards ahead of me, but in the rough and that doesn't count.

Golf: Of all the Isleworth players, who do you enjoy playing with the most? Who pockets the most money?

Griffey: All the guys are great, but no money is exchanged. Just the dinner bills at the club and, of course, bragging rights.

Golf: Compare hitting a baseball with hitting a golf ball. Which is more enjoyable to you, hitting a bomb on the golf course or hitting the upper deck at the Kingdome?

Griffey: Definitely hitting the ball into the upper deck. That is going to help my team win. The two are very different. In baseball, you're trying to hit a round ball moving between eighty and one-hundred miles per hour with a round bat square. Plus in golf, you have to play your foul balls!

Golf: Which is more impressive: Tiger's drives (on the golf course) or your drives (out of the ballpark)?

Griffey: I wish I could hit a baseball as far as he hits his drives. remember, he has to do that fourteen times a round. I only hit maybe four or five times a game.

Golf: What is it you find most enjoyable about playing golf?

Griffey: Playing the golf course. Each course presents its own challenges. the other thing I like is playing with people you enjoy being around. It's fun and relaxing.

Golf: If you could play one round of golf anywhere in the world, where would it be? with whom?

Griffey: Augusta National with the entire Team Isleworth.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                          7-for-7
                          • Mar 2006

more players in camp

mariners sign Ken Griffey Jr to a one year two million dollar contract with 2.5 million in incentives.

Check out Shannon Drayer's Blog:

Local news, breaking news, sports, weather, traffic, talk and community for Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and the Pacific Northwest. - Home - MyNorthwest

The M's bring another catcher into camp. With 30 Pitchers in camp you need more than 3 or 4 recievers. You need a program to keep track of all the players.

Comment

• Rennie Stennett
                            7-for-7
                            • Mar 2006

In the Clubhouse

Much as been said last year by former GM, Manager and some current and former players both last year and this year about the problems in the M's clubhouse as far as moral and chemistry and the talk of one RF being selfish.
                            Griffey is not a big rah, rah, guy but he is laid back in the clubhouse and the dugout.

Do you think the Griffey deal help in this matter ?

Comment

• Nat Bailey
                              Alvin Davis
                              • Apr 2008

^^ Its interesting.... did he have any past history of that (making a teammate accountable) or is he pretty much easy come easy go?
                              Check out some demos from my upcoming album: http://www.myspace.com/le_serge

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X