Interesting Mets 60s vintage Ebay item and Mr. Met questions...Thursday 10/4/2011...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Long Island Mike
    • Sep 2009

Interesting Mets 60s vintage Ebay item and Mr. Met questions...Thursday 10/4/2011...

Everyone: Currently on Ebay there is an NY Mets Booster Plate that I believe dates
    back to the 1964/65 NY World's Fair era...Item #290615960891

This plate has Mr. Met on the left and reads in capital letters NEW YORK above METS
    in blue on an orange background with a blue line border...

The Mr. Met graphic is in color painted and has good detail...

I began to follow the Mets in the late 60s as a boy and attended my first game
    Helmet Day 1968 vs. LA Dodgers and I never remember an item like this...

Was this plate sold by Harry M. Stevens Souvenirs at Shea Stadium?

I have been interested in license plates for much of my life and if the Mets sold
    these back then I probably would have gotten one...

In NY for example a booster plate can NOT be displayed on the front of a vehicle
    in lieu of the front plate unless you can display both...in 1964/65 NY issued one
    plate for the NYWF issue...and this item dating from those years makes sense...

Can anyone verify date wise or remember this NY Mets booster plate?

This also made me interested in the years that Mr. Met was used-I recall that
    it was phased out sometime in the 70s and returned later in the 80s or early
    90s? If there is a Mr. Met topic already please direct me...

If anyone has any Mr. Met history I do appreciate it...

Thanks in advance-LI MIKE
  • m8644
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Long Island Mike View Post
    Everyone: Currently on Ebay there is an NY Mets Booster Plate that I believe dates
    back to the 1964/65 NY World's Fair era...Item #290615960891

This plate has Mr. Met on the left and reads in capital letters NEW YORK above METS
    in blue on an orange background with a blue line border...

The Mr. Met graphic is in color painted and has good detail...

I began to follow the Mets in the late 60s as a boy and attended my first game
    Helmet Day 1968 vs. LA Dodgers and I never remember an item like this...

Was this plate sold by Harry M. Stevens Souvenirs at Shea Stadium?

I have been interested in license plates for much of my life and if the Mets sold
    these back then I probably would have gotten one...

In NY for example a booster plate can NOT be displayed on the front of a vehicle
    in lieu of the front plate unless you can display both...in 1964/65 NY issued one
    plate for the NYWF issue...and this item dating from those years makes sense...

Can anyone verify date wise or remember this NY Mets booster plate?

This also made me interested in the years that Mr. Met was used-I recall that
    it was phased out sometime in the 70s and returned later in the 80s or early
    90s? If there is a Mr. Met topic already please direct me...

If anyone has any Mr. Met history I do appreciate it...

Thanks in advance-LI MIKE
    I'm actually a very avid collector of vintage mets items (when I have money), stuff from the 60's to 80's interests me greatly, especially mr. mets items.

As for this item, I can't verify the year. The describtion says the 70's in the item title on ebay, but very often the seller gets details like that incorrect. So who knows when it's from. Obviously it's DEFINITELY from the 60's or 70's, no later than that. Mr Met was phased out around 1979-1980 and did not appear again at shea or in merchandise until 1994.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Comment

• ipitch
      • Sep 2007

Here's one that sold via auction.
      We have set the standard for quality collectibles and customer service in the world of popular culture collectibles since 1967. Your satisfaction is always our first priority.

"Believe c. 1963 - the first year for Mr. Met. Old store stock."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X