• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhss89
    The hips drive the swing
    • Mar 2004

2013 Rotation

So as of this morning, the rotation looks this way: Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Beckett, Billingsley. If C-Bill and Beckett can bounce back to close to their old selves, and Ryu can make the adjustment to facing MLB hitters, this will be the premier rotation in MLB. If . . .
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."
  • DownUnderDodger
    Learning all the time.
    • Aug 2002

Do you think they will start with Ryu straight off? I presume he will be tested at Spring Training to ensure he is up to speed to start immediately.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
      2005 World Series Champs
      • Jun 2010

What about Capuno, they could have a lights out bullpen too.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• bhss89
        The hips drive the swing
        • Mar 2004

Capuano will be gone. Ryu should start season with big club. He is experienced and has pitched against quality teams in WBC. I cannot speak for the quality of the KBA, but I believe he will begin season in MLB. I do hate to see Capuano go, however. Like the guy and think he's a battler. I feel the same way about him as I do Derek Lowe, and that is a big compliment.
        That all said, I would've loved for the Dodgers to have signed Dickey to a 3-year deal.
        "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Comment

• bhss89
          The hips drive the swing
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
          What about Capuno, they could have a lights out bullpen too.
          FYI, I LOVE your dig about the ChiSox. Ain't that the truth!

Comment

• crzblue
            • Nov 2005

So I was reading a blog post by a friend who is also a Big Dodger fan making his case for the Dodgers getting Brian Wilson. I was oh NO! that would be sacrilege. A Giant! I don't think I can see Wilson's ugly face in Dodger Blue. What do you guys think?
            -Emma
            My addiction to the Dodgers and baseball. I love Our Lady of Chavez Ravine (OLOCR) Dodger Stadium. If you come to Dodger Stadium, I'd love to show you around.SABR & Baseball Reliquary mem…

"As long as you live keep smiling because it brightens everybody's day" - Vin Scully

Comment

• filihok
              Team Veteran
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by crzblue View Post
              So I was reading a blog post by a friend who is also a Big Dodger fan making his case for the Dodgers getting Brian Wilson. I was oh NO! that would be sacrilege. A Giant! I don't think I can see Wilson's ugly face in Dodger Blue. What do you guys think?
              -Emma
              My addiction to the Dodgers and baseball. I love Our Lady of Chavez Ravine (OLOCR) Dodger Stadium. If you come to Dodger Stadium, I'd love to show you around.SABR & Baseball Reliquary mem…

"As long as you live keep smiling because it brightens everybody's day" - Vin Scully
              He's a good pitcher, who cares what team he played for.

Jeff Kent did well in LA, no?

Comment

• bhss89
                The hips drive the swing
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by crzblue View Post
                -Emma

I would be fine with him if he's effective. I think his arm may be cooked though. Double TJ surgery is a tough road of recovery.
                What's the latest on Jansen? I've read nothing on him all off-season.

Comment

• Michael Green
                  • Jul 2008

I don't know about Wilson's condition, but if the Brooklyn Dodgers could acquire Sal Maglie, we LA Dodger fans can stand to have Brian Wilson if he helps us.

Comment

• bhss89
                    The hips drive the swing
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
                    I don't know about Wilson's condition, but if the Brooklyn Dodgers could acquire Sal Maglie, we LA Dodger fans can stand to have Brian Wilson if he helps us.
                    Irony: Maglie was "The Barber" and Wison needs to visit one.

Comment

• crzblue
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bhss89 View Post
                      Irony: Maglie was "The Barber" and Wison needs to visit one.
                      LOL. My brother feels the same way that if he can help the bully he welcomes him. I have not heard about Kenley. I hated hearing that Belisario was taken off the Venezuelan team for disciplanary actions.

Comment

• bhss89
                        The hips drive the swing
                        • Mar 2004

Belisario seems to have trouble making good choices.

Comment

• jnakamura
                          • Oct 2008

A sight for sore eyes
                          Attached Files
                          I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                          - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Herr28
                            A Midsummer Knight
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                            A sight for sore eyes
                            Wow, great picture! I saw him on ESPN the other day walking around and shaking hands with the guys working out, but this photo of Sandy in uniform is awesome! My favorite part of the Spring since I was a kid back in the 80s was trying to see Sandy Koufax working with pitchers!
                            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• filihok
                              Team Veteran
                              • Nov 2012

I decided to take a look at some of the guys fighting for...what are they fighting for?  I was going to say they were fighting for rotation...

I decided to take a look at some of the guys fighting for...what are they fighting for? I was going to say they were fighting for rotation spots with the Dodgers this season, but they really aren't. The Dodgers' 1 through 5 will almost certainly be:
                              Clayton Kershaw
                              Zack Greinke
                              Hyun-Jin Ryu
                              Chad Billingsley
                              Josh Beckett

That still leaves Aaron Harang, Chris Capuano and Ted Lilly with no real defined roles.

FanGraphs provides multiple projections for most players who have a shot of playing in the majors this year. I've done a weighted average of those projections for each of the above 3 players

Harang: 151 innings, 6.61 K/9, 3.54 BB/9, 4.31 ERA and 0.9 WAR (1.3 WAR per 180 IP)
                              Capuano: 168 innings, 7.41 K/9, 2.56 BB/9, 3.83 ERA and 2.2 WAR (2.4 WAR per 180 IP)
                              Lilly: 120 innings, 6.96 K/9, 2.62 BB/9, 3.87 ERA and 0.7 WAR (1.1 WAR per 180 IP)

Capuano is certainly the best of the bunch. As such, he's the one you'd most want to keep around. As such, he's the one with the most trade value. He's also likely the best option out of the bullpen. His health maybe of some concern. He has a sordid injury history.

Harang doesn't look to be anything special. But he's healthy. If any of the Dodgers top 5 starters go down with injury (and simple probability tells us that they will. Not to mention that Billingsley's elbow is hanging by a thread and Beckett's back is constantly balky (plus Kershaw had hip issues at the end of last year and Greinke's having elbow problems this spring)) then having a healthy pitcher to replace them with could be a bonus.

Lilly isn't a bad pitcher when healthy. But his arm appears to be pretty shredded. You wouldn't want to have to rely on Lilly after already losing a top starter. His control/fly ball/crafty-lefty ways probably aren't best suited to the bullpen.

Spring training stats are mostly meaningless, but let's look at them anyway:
                              Capuano's managed 15 innings with 3 walks and 14 strike outs. That's not bad. 5 home runs, though, have pushed his spring ERA up to 7.20.

Harang has pitched 13 and a third innings with 5 walks and 8 strike outs. That's not good. It's not horrific, though. He's given up 24 hits - that's close to horrific - and 8.10 ERA.

Lilly's only managed 6 and two thirds innings this spring with 5 walks and 5 strike outs. That's bad. The 11 hits, 7 earned runs and 9.45 ERA are bad as well.

I don't pretend to have any idea what LA will decide to do with these guys. Likely an "injury" to a pitcher or two will appear before the season starts so the Dodgers can put a guy on the DL for a few weeks - buying a bit more time to make a decision.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X