X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milladrive
    • Sep 2006

2012 Brewers Season Thread

'Tis the season. Feel free to discuss the 2012 Brewers season here.

Put it in the books.
  • Blue387
    Ya gotta believe
    • Jul 2010

I think the Brewers should have signed Casey Kotchman. While he's not a great hitter, he's good defensively and could help improve the Brewers defense which has given up many runs in last year's playoffs. He also adds a left-handed bat to the Brewers lineup which I still feels is still too heavily righty biased. The Indians signed him for a one year deal at three million dollars.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• KevinWI
      #271 all-time BBF poster
      • Aug 2007

I agree it would have been a good fit, but I think the Brewers were taken off guard when K-Rod accepted salary arbitration. Also, they paid the posting fee to Japan to get Aoki. Remember the bidding via the posting system is blind and I don't know if the Brewers expected to be the high bid for Aoki when they won with a $2.5 million bid. So, suddenly, they had to tender an offer to K-Rod when everybody expected him to go to free agency, and they also had to negotiate with Aoki.

Plus, I think the Brewers want to give Mat Gamel a vote of confidence. He was told going into the season that the first basemen's job is his and his alone, so he doesn't have to worry about getting replaced in the lineup after every bad at-bat. Maybe signing a veteran 1B like Kotchman would of been a blow to Gamel's confidence, I dunno.

Regarding that, I have noticed that they have been taking Gamel out late in games in exchange for Travis Ishikawa. Strange that they're taking out Gamel in the 6th and 7th inning when they went out of their way to say that the 1B job was his and his alone.

Comment

• hoophead
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by KevinWI View Post
        I agree it would have been a good fit, but I think the Brewers were taken off guard when K-Rod accepted salary arbitration. Also, they paid the posting fee to Japan to get Aoki. Remember the bidding via the posting system is blind and I don't know if the Brewers expected to be the high bid for Aoki when they won with a $2.5 million bid. So, suddenly, they had to tender an offer to K-Rod when everybody expected him to go to free agency, and they also had to negotiate with Aoki.

Plus, I think the Brewers want to give Mat Gamel a vote of confidence. He was told going into the season that the first basemen's job is his and his alone, so he doesn't have to worry about getting replaced in the lineup after every bad at-bat. Maybe signing a veteran 1B like Kotchman would of been a blow to Gamel's confidence, I dunno.

Regarding that, I have noticed that they have been taking Gamel out late in games in exchange for Travis Ishikawa. Strange that they're taking out Gamel in the 6th and 7th inning when they went out of their way to say that the 1B job was his and his alone.
        In response to your concern that Mat is being replaced late in games by Ishikawa: game 1 Travis goes to RF, game 2 Travis pinch hits only, game 3 Travis replaces Mat after the 5th inn in a double switch and has 2 ab's, [game4 DNP, game 5 Travis only pinch hits, game 6 DNP, game 7 Travis comes in on a double-switch after 7th inn, game 8 Travis PH only, game 9 DNP

This does not concern me at all.
        Last edited by hoophead; 04-15-2012, 01:08 PM. Reason: accuracy

Comment

• KevinWI
          #271 all-time BBF poster
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by hoophead View Post
          In response to your concern that Mat is being replaced late in games by Ishikawa: game 1 Travis goes to RF, game 2 Travis pinch hits only, game 3 Travis replaces Mat after the 5th inn in a double switch and has 2 ab's, [game4 DNP, game 5 Travis only pinch hits, game 6 DNP, game 7 Travis comes in on a double-switch after 7th inn, game 8 Travis PH only, game 9 DNP

This does not concern me at all.
          You do know I wrote that after the third game of the season, right?

In retrospect, Ron Roenicke does seem to be leaving Gamel in for the entire games.

Comment

• hoophead
            • Apr 2012

You do know I wrote that after the third game of the season, right?

In retrospect, Ron Roenicke does seem to be leaving Gamel in for the entire games.
            OK.
            You do know three games does not constitute a decent sample, right?

Comment

• KevinWI
              #271 all-time BBF poster
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by hoophead View Post
              OK.
              You do know three games does not constitute a decent sample, right?
              Are you trying to pick a fight?

I was wondering why the manager would assure his 1B that the starting position was his. Then take him out for a defensive replacement halfway through two our of three games.

Comment

• hoophead
                • Apr 2012

Are you trying to pick a fight?

I was wondering why the manager would assure his 1B that the starting position was his. Then take him out for a defensive replacement halfway through two our of three games.
                Am quite sorry you feel this way, Kevin
                It's just that you are wrong, again, with your observation.
                Look at my response, above, pointing out that only once, the third game, was where Mat was replaced on the field.

Comment

• KevinWI
                  #271 all-time BBF poster
                  • Aug 2007

Time to panic? Everybody in Milwaukee seems to be jumping off the Brewers boat after their poor start.

Maybe not. They're 13-18 now. On this day last year, they were 16-20. And they went on to win the division.

Of course, they're missing Fielder, but a lot of the other pieces are still there.

The pitching is start to come around. I think they can come around salvage the season.

Comment

• Blue387
                    Ya gotta believe
                    • Jul 2010

I think the Brewers can become the Tampa Bay Rays of the NL Central.

- cheap farm grown talent
                    - good pitching
                    - solid defense/run prevention
                    - position shifting
                    - innovative manager and front office

Comment

• KevinWI
                      #271 all-time BBF poster
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      I think the Brewers can become the Tampa Bay Rays of the NL Central.

- cheap farm grown talent
                      - good pitching
                      - solid defense/run prevention
                      - position shifting
                      - innovative manager and front office
                      Well, the Brewers have had good fan support too, something that has alluded the Rays even in good years. Brewers have had 3 million fans 3 of the last 4 years, and have always been highly rated in per capita TV ratings.

But, I agree, I think the Brewers could be a good small market team, like the old Minnesota Twins or the Rays.

Comment

• Blue387
                        Ya gotta believe
                        • Jul 2010

Brewers lose 3-1 to the Mets in New York.

Comment

• Blue387
                          Ya gotta believe
                          • Jul 2010

I have an idea: how about acquiring Ruben Gotay from the Blue Jays?

Gotay was an infielder for the Royals, Mets and Cardinals and is currently playing in AAA for the Blue Jays. He is currently batting .348/.436/.379/.815 in the PCL and I think he could be a benefit to the Brewers. The team's middle infield appears to be just Izturis, Ranson and Weeks. Gotay could play second and would also be cheap.

Comment

• Blue387
                            Ya gotta believe
                            • Jul 2010

If the Brewers do trade Grienke for prospects, I hope it will be like the haul Texas got from Atlanta for Mark Teixeira.

Comment

• Blue387
                              Ya gotta believe
                              • Jul 2010

K-Rod blew another save.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X