Baltimore not Sosa's last stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore not Sosa's last stop?

The Nationals have offered a non-guaranteed, incentive-laden major-league contract to Sammy Sosa, assistant general manager Tony Siegle said Wednesday. The offer is the latest attempt by the Nationals to persuade Sosa to join the team. They previously had offered the slugger a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.
    (Updated 02/09/2006).
    So says the Associated Press.

Sammy wants his 600 HRs, but is it worth even the measly offer the Nationals gave him to give him a shot? The Orioles gave up little--Jerry Hairston for part of Sosa's contract--and people still universally labelled it a disaster. Nevermind his production (or lack thereof), would the media storm surrounding him actually cost his team wins?

...or maybe not. Has anyone besides me noticed that Sammy is completely out of the spotlight right now? He was a story, until that Palmeiro thing happened... and since then, I haven't heard a peep about Sosa. And now it looks like he'll have to take the kind of deal the Nationals offered him or else retire. It looks like the classic case of the media using an athlete, chewing him up and spitting him out as soon as he's outlived his use. Of course Sosa was more than willing to tango at the time; I wonder what he feels now about it?
    http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Baltimore not Sosa's last stop?

Originally posted by J W
    So says the Associated Press.

Sammy wants his 600 HRs, but is it worth even the measly offer the Nationals gave him to give him a shot? The Orioles gave up little--Jerry Hairston for part of Sosa's contract--and people still universally labelled it a disaster. Nevermind his production (or lack thereof), would the media storm surrounding him actually cost his team wins?

...or maybe not. Has anyone besides me noticed that Sammy is completely out of the spotlight right now? He was a story, until that Palmeiro thing happened... and since then, I haven't heard a peep about Sosa. And now it looks like he'll have to take the kind of deal the Nationals offered him or else retire. It looks like the classic case of the media using an athlete, chewing him up and spitting him out as soon as he's outlived his use. Of course Sosa was more than willing to tango at the time; I wonder what he feels now about it?
    It's more like a player hanging on for personal gain and now for once the teams won't bite except that good offer from the Nationals. Lets face it any offer is good for Sammy now, he's really gone down the tubes the last 2 years, I wonder why.
    Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

Does anybody know what Sosa does? Comeback? Retire?
      I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

His steroid withdrawal must be complete now, and like Giambi, he's probably on Human Growth Hormone, so would start posting power numbers again if given the chance.

Comment

Sosa

If Guillen is healthy,he deserves to play. He could play right and platoon with Church in Center,If he still has the range. The Nats immediate need is pitching but Sosa deserves his last shot somewhere. He was good for the game for a number of years. Baseball history is filled with veterans that played until it was very obvious that their skills were gone. If he wants to be a part-time player and can contribute,I'd love to see him in Washington. If he's done,then he'll go out on knowing the time is right.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X