Looking to 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to 2021

So now that the season is nearly done, what say you about how the Orioles will do in 2021?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0ZTyrgT9U

1966 1970 1983
    1969 1971 1979
    1973 1974 1997 2014
    1996 2012 2016

4 5 8 20 22 33 42

they can only go up....but they need to put together a shopping list...for starters, get some more offense....

Comment

There are so many interesting questions for the season. Here are my top ten that I am looking forward to seeing answered:

1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019?
      2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form?
      3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have?
      4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do?
      5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year?
      6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position?
      7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position?
      8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year?
      9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500?
      9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base?

I can't wait for the season to begin -- and I can't wait to get back into Camden Yards! Go O's!

Comment

Maikel Franco is not too exciting at 28yo. 38 RBI lead the Royals!? .252? guh

Comment

Originally posted by Old Time Os View Post
          There are so many interesting questions for the season. Here are my top ten that I am looking forward to seeing answered:

1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019?
          2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form?
          3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have?
          4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do?
          5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year?
          6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position?
          7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position?
          8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year?
          9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500?
          9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base?

I can't wait for the season to begin -- and I can't wait to get back into Camden Yards! Go O's!
          Here we are .... ready to begin the post All Star phase of the season.....

As a lifelong Orioles fan, I will answer a few of your questions as they appear as we are now officially in the second half of the season.

1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019? - He has been steadily inconsistent. He started well.... slumped a bit.... and put on an unexpected show at the Home Run Derby. All of the baseball world wish him nothing but the best..... I think the bigger question yet remaining on Trey is whether or not he is on the team come August 1. We shall see....

2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form? - No and No. As much as I want Matt Harvey to be a competitive major league pitcher, he is not. Well..... not after the fourth inning. I root for him, but I just get the feeling that what once was.... is gone.

3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have? - Answer none as of yet. I keep hoping that one or two will make a positive difference but I am not optimistic about the ones you have listed. The one I do have a little hope for is Spenser Watkins. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but there is something about him that is different than the other youngsters.....

4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do? - Not as of yet. I don't see much reason to debut him unless it would be in September.... but even then.... not really expecting the Elias/Hyde administration to do so.

5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year? - See the answer to question 4.

6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position? - Cedric has been a godsend. He is almost solely the reason to watch the Orioles. I find myself comparing him almost all the time to Al Bumbry. Cedric has more power that Al, but the rest of their games is very very similar. I just hope that Cedric will stay healthy, and maintain the great year he has constructed so far.

7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position? - After an abysmal April and early May, Ryan Mountcastle has been solid. I will predict the more at bats he gets under his belt, he will only get better. He is definite keeper..... question is.... will the Orioles peddle him for prospects or will they keep him as a corner piece on the infield. It doesn't hurt that he can sub in the outfield, but he has performed better at first base.

8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year? No. With Mullins, Santander, Hayes, Stewart, and occasionally McKenna, there is no need to rush.... Once again... see the answer to question 4.

9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500? - I think the safest way to respond to your question is to ask for a definition of "some". I was encouraged by last year's shortened season and the progress of some of the younger players.... and it was especially nice to not finish last and spectacular that the Red Sox did. Playing .500 baseball is a dream at this point.... in fact as painful as it is.... I hate to believe that .500 might be unattainable until 2024 or 2025. I truly hope I am wrong.

9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base? - This question seems to be answered best as Mancini / Mountcastle sharing of first base. Davis is I believe still on the 40 man roster.... but there is not a single reason for him to be. I don't wish him ill..... I just don't think it would be worth the Orioles' time to let him have at bats that Mountcastle could use to improve his knowledge of the game.

Now.. Here are a few of questions I have....

1. When if ever will Brandon Hyde ever let a starting pitcher learn to work his way through some rough water that is almost always encountered in the 5th inning? Jim Palmer has made reference to this several times.... "How are they supposed to learn if he won't let them?"

2. Will the bullpen have any healthy arms left at the end of the season? Now... I didn't say quality arms.... I suggested healthy arms.....

3. Will the team dial back on the Rule 5 and picked up off waivers bargain shopping as a way to put major league players on the field? I sincerely believe the team administrators are fascinated and stuck on finding bargains to trade than they are finding players who can be consistently competitive. I am still scratching my head over "not being able to afford" Hanser Alberto, Jonathan Villar, Mychal Givens, and Miguel Castro..... Granted they are not perennial all stars..... but they are/were major league players.

Thanks for the opportunity to share today..... I look forward to hearing the thoughts of others on the state of the Orioles.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X