Looking to 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to 2021

So now that the season is nearly done, what say you about how the Orioles will do in 2021?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB0ZTyrgT9U

1966 1970 1983
    1969 1971 1979
    1973 1974 1997 2014
    1996 2012 2016

4 5 8 20 22 33 42

they can only go up....but they need to put together a shopping list...for starters, get some more offense....

Comment

There are so many interesting questions for the season. Here are my top ten that I am looking forward to seeing answered:

1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019?
      2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form?
      3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have?
      4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do?
      5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year?
      6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position?
      7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position?
      8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year?
      9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500?
      9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base?

I can't wait for the season to begin -- and I can't wait to get back into Camden Yards! Go O's!

Comment

Maikel Franco is not too exciting at 28yo. 38 RBI lead the Royals!? .252? guh

Comment

Originally posted by Old Time Os View Post
          There are so many interesting questions for the season. Here are my top ten that I am looking forward to seeing answered:

1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019?
          2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form?
          3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have?
          4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do?
          5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year?
          6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position?
          7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position?
          8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year?
          9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500?
          9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base?

I can't wait for the season to begin -- and I can't wait to get back into Camden Yards! Go O's!
          Here we are .... ready to begin the post All Star phase of the season.....

As a lifelong Orioles fan, I will answer a few of your questions as they appear as we are now officially in the second half of the season.

1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019? - He has been steadily inconsistent. He started well.... slumped a bit.... and put on an unexpected show at the Home Run Derby. All of the baseball world wish him nothing but the best..... I think the bigger question yet remaining on Trey is whether or not he is on the team come August 1. We shall see....

2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form? - No and No. As much as I want Matt Harvey to be a competitive major league pitcher, he is not. Well..... not after the fourth inning. I root for him, but I just get the feeling that what once was.... is gone.

3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have? - Answer none as of yet. I keep hoping that one or two will make a positive difference but I am not optimistic about the ones you have listed. The one I do have a little hope for is Spenser Watkins. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but there is something about him that is different than the other youngsters.....

4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do? - Not as of yet. I don't see much reason to debut him unless it would be in September.... but even then.... not really expecting the Elias/Hyde administration to do so.

5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year? - See the answer to question 4.

6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position? - Cedric has been a godsend. He is almost solely the reason to watch the Orioles. I find myself comparing him almost all the time to Al Bumbry. Cedric has more power that Al, but the rest of their games is very very similar. I just hope that Cedric will stay healthy, and maintain the great year he has constructed so far.

7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position? - After an abysmal April and early May, Ryan Mountcastle has been solid. I will predict the more at bats he gets under his belt, he will only get better. He is definite keeper..... question is.... will the Orioles peddle him for prospects or will they keep him as a corner piece on the infield. It doesn't hurt that he can sub in the outfield, but he has performed better at first base.

8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year? No. With Mullins, Santander, Hayes, Stewart, and occasionally McKenna, there is no need to rush.... Once again... see the answer to question 4.

9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500? - I think the safest way to respond to your question is to ask for a definition of "some". I was encouraged by last year's shortened season and the progress of some of the younger players.... and it was especially nice to not finish last and spectacular that the Red Sox did. Playing .500 baseball is a dream at this point.... in fact as painful as it is.... I hate to believe that .500 might be unattainable until 2024 or 2025. I truly hope I am wrong.

9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base? - This question seems to be answered best as Mancini / Mountcastle sharing of first base. Davis is I believe still on the 40 man roster.... but there is not a single reason for him to be. I don't wish him ill..... I just don't think it would be worth the Orioles' time to let him have at bats that Mountcastle could use to improve his knowledge of the game.

Now.. Here are a few of questions I have....

1. When if ever will Brandon Hyde ever let a starting pitcher learn to work his way through some rough water that is almost always encountered in the 5th inning? Jim Palmer has made reference to this several times.... "How are they supposed to learn if he won't let them?"

2. Will the bullpen have any healthy arms left at the end of the season? Now... I didn't say quality arms.... I suggested healthy arms.....

3. Will the team dial back on the Rule 5 and picked up off waivers bargain shopping as a way to put major league players on the field? I sincerely believe the team administrators are fascinated and stuck on finding bargains to trade than they are finding players who can be consistently competitive. I am still scratching my head over "not being able to afford" Hanser Alberto, Jonathan Villar, Mychal Givens, and Miguel Castro..... Granted they are not perennial all stars..... but they are/were major league players.

Thanks for the opportunity to share today..... I look forward to hearing the thoughts of others on the state of the Orioles.

Comment

A few thoughts with three weeks remaining in the season...

Originally posted by ryors View Post
            1. Will Trey Mancini continue the great play as in 2019? - He has been steadily inconsistent. He started well.... slumped a bit.... and put on an unexpected show at the Home Run Derby. All of the baseball world wish him nothing but the best..... I think the bigger question yet remaining on Trey is whether or not he is on the team come August 1. We shall see....
            Mancini was the O's first baseman for 2021 and will probably win the AL Comeback Player of the Year Award. I believe he has just one year remaining under team control before becoming a free agent. He will be 30 next year and while he would be an above average player at a decent price, if the O's can get something in return for him this winter, he might be worth trading.

2. Can Matt Harvey and King Felix return to good form? - No and No. As much as I want Matt Harvey to be a competitive major league pitcher, he is not. Well..... not after the fourth inning. I root for him, but I just get the feeling that what once was.... is gone.
            Harvey is likely done for the season, but pitched better than his ERA implies. If you buy into FIP, Harvey's been as good as he has at any point since leaving Cincinnati. Presumably, he would be inclined to re-sign with Baltimore and, with better defense behind him, could be a decent innings eater even at the age of 33 next summer.

3. Which young O's pitchers will step up -- Kremer, Aiken, or one of the many others (Baumann, Lowther) they have? - Answer none as of yet. I keep hoping that one or two will make a positive difference but I am not optimistic about the ones you have listed. The one I do have a little hope for is Spenser Watkins. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but there is something about him that is different than the other youngsters.....
            Great question which remains to be seen. How much the O's are willing to give their youngsters a chance - they probably won't know until Spring Training 2022 - and how many rotation spots will be filled with retreads or low-budget free agents is an open question. Given the lack of success with the youth so far, however, I would be inclined to seek at least one mid-range free agent SP if you could get a buy-low opportunity and look to flip the guy mid-season next year, depending on how everyone is doing.

4. Will Adley Rutschman make his MLB debut, and if so, how will he do? - Not as of yet. I don't see much reason to debut him unless it would be in September.... but even then.... not really expecting the Elias/Hyde administration to do so.
            Almost certainly not until 2022 now. I'm sure it's the most looked-forward-to thing for O's fans in a long time.

5. Although unlikely, will we finally get to see Grayson Rodriguez and/or DL Hall this year? - See the answer to question 4.
            Almost certainly not and for the same sound logic why Rutschman won't be. At this point there's zero good reasons to start the clock on their service time now.

6. Will Cedric Mullins or Austin Hayes take control of the center field position? - Cedric has been a godsend. He is almost solely the reason to watch the Orioles. I find myself comparing him almost all the time to Al Bumbry. Cedric has more power that Al, but the rest of their games is very very similar. I just hope that Cedric will stay healthy, and maintain the great year he has constructed so far.
            Mullins has been quite a pleasant surprise. He won't be a .900 OPS guy every year going forward, but he's certainly locked in as the Orioles' center fielder for the next 3-4 seasons. He'll be 27 next year so he's in his physical prime and ought to give Baltimore some solid production for a good while. That's one position they don't need to worry about next season, a big benefit for a rebuilding club.

7. Is Ryan Mountcastle the real deal as a hitter, and can he nail down the left-field position? - After an abysmal April and early May, Ryan Mountcastle has been solid. I will predict the more at bats he gets under his belt, he will only get better. He is definite keeper..... question is.... will the Orioles peddle him for prospects or will they keep him as a corner piece on the infield. It doesn't hurt that he can sub in the outfield, but he has performed better at first base.
            Mountcastle is a keeper, but is best suited as Mancini's replacement at first base, his natural position. Another good reason to look for a Mancini-for-value trade during the warm fuzzies over Trey's comeback season. The best Plan B, I suppose, would be to move Mancini to DH next season in his walk year while installing Mountcastle as the primary first baseman. Yes, Mountcastle can fill in left, if needed, but a young hitter is best given a position he can play and then allowed to simply play there so he can focus on improving his hitting. I would hate for Mancini's development to be retarded by positional shift like the Reds did to Nick Senzel.

8. Will we finally see Yusniel Diaz in the outfield this year? No. With Mullins, Santander, Hayes, Stewart, and occasionally McKenna, there is no need to rush.... Once again... see the answer to question 4.
            Diaz has regressed this year and, at age 25 next season, will be one of those older minor league types that could surprise some people, but who aren't on any prospect radars any more. He's going to have to re-establish himself at AAA in 2022 if he ever hopes to make the club.

9. Can we start winning some games -- hopefully get within at least a stone's throw of .500? - I think the safest way to respond to your question is to ask for a definition of "some". I was encouraged by last year's shortened season and the progress of some of the younger players.... and it was especially nice to not finish last and spectacular that the Red Sox did. Playing .500 baseball is a dream at this point.... in fact as painful as it is.... I hate to believe that .500 might be unattainable until 2024 or 2025. I truly hope I am wrong.
            A .500 club in 2022 isn't realistic. Aiming for more than 62 wins is a reasonable floor. Being an average major league team would mean significantly more talent at the major league level, which they simply don't have right now. Early returns in 2022 will indicate whether this is remotely realistic at that time. As of today, it's too far over the horizon.

9. And . . . are we going to finally be done with Chris Davis so we can move Mountcastle or Mancini, or someone else to first base? - This question seems to be answered best as Mancini / Mountcastle sharing of first base. Davis is I believe still on the 40 man roster.... but there is not a single reason for him to be. I don't wish him ill..... I just don't think it would be worth the Orioles' time to let him have at bats that Mountcastle could use to improve his knowledge of the game.
            Lucky for Orioles fans, Davis voluntarily retired which not only removes his putrid performance from wasting a roster spot, but saves the team a good chunk of payroll in 2022.

1. When if ever will Brandon Hyde ever let a starting pitcher learn to work his way through some rough water that is almost always encountered in the 5th inning? Jim Palmer has made reference to this several times.... "How are they supposed to learn if he won't let them?"
            I suspect that this may be a front-office directive. I am certainly empathetic to letting young players learn by playing the game and Baltimore can certainly afford to do this now as they are a non-competitive team. That said, I would expect a majority of the coaching to have occurred in the minors. Do you know if this is being practiced at Double- and Triple-A for the Orioles' affiliates also?

2. Will the bullpen have any healthy arms left at the end of the season? Now... I didn't say quality arms.... I suggested healthy arms.....
            They'd better if they're gonna pull starters in the 5th, right? Looks like Slusser, Wells, Tate and Scott are the only roughly healthy arms. Fortunately, relievers are the most fungible asset for any team so the team can easily cobble together a better pen in the offseason with just a little work.

3. Will the team dial back on the Rule 5 and picked up off waivers bargain shopping as a way to put major league players on the field? I sincerely believe the team administrators are fascinated and stuck on finding bargains to trade than they are finding players who can be consistently competitive. I am still scratching my head over "not being able to afford" Hanser Alberto, Jonathan Villar, Mychal Givens, and Miguel Castro..... Granted they are not perennial all stars..... but they are/were major league players.
            All teams, but especially rebuilding teams, ought to be bargain hunting. They picked up Wells in last December's Rule V draft so that worked out pretty well for them. The year before that, they didn't use up a roster spot on a Rule V pick during the season. These two things don't appear related to me. The Rule V draft is a a chance to pick up minor league veterans who could potentially help your club this year. It's a staple for rebuilding clubs, particularly if you're needing help in the bullpen. (There are more live arms readily available than position players, naturally.) Jake Cronenworth was available in a couple of Rule V drafts recently. I'll bet the O's would love a player like that on their roster right now.

As for not retaining the players listed, sure...those guys are marginally better than the Orioles' presumed prospects today, but that's a balancing act the front office has to do, position by position. Is the young talent ready to compete yet or do we pay some veteran MLBer to punch the clock at that spot for another season. Would you really want all those players listed back with the Orioles this year? How different would the team's W-L record be? Not much, in my opinion.

Castro spent three years in Baltimore with a FIP near 5.00 and was flipped in a trade for a middle infield prospect who's 18 with potential. Most of those guys have performed worse since leaving Baltimore. If the team can find similar meh or subpar production for less money, what's the harm? The players they've let go aren't world beaters. When the team trades Mookie Betts to get under the luxury tax threshold, then maybe we have a legitimate beef against the front office being money conscious. But discarding guys worth 10 cents, but being paid 25 cents and replacing them with guys who turn out to be worth 5 cents but are only paid 5 cents, well.....that's just something I'm going to be largely indifferent to. Players who get DFA'd for these reasons can usually be re-signed (as they are desperate for jobs) for a lower amount. That the team doesn't opt to do so indicates they're less enamored with the player's production than you're giving them credit for, methinks.

Anyway, those are a few season-ending thoughts. I'd like to see the O's take the next step in their rebuild. I think the majority of that momentum, however, is simply going to need to come from its top prospects developing into solid-or-better major league players. Best of luck with that.
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X