• Show
Clear All

• Trachsel's Back

:noidea

Couldn't we do any better???

Originally posted by JohnnyK27 View Post

I don't really think so. He was signed to a minor league contract, so he's cheap and isn't garunteed a spot in the rotation. Plus its always nice to have an experienced pitcher to teach the young guys (do you really want DCab in that role, because he currently is). I don't like any other options. Josh Fogg wasn't great in the NL, I'm sure he'd get lit up in the AL East. Kyle Lohse and Livan Hernandez are both expensive, a big contract would automatically grant them a spot in the rotation. Bartolo Colon is injured alot, so it'd be a waste (remember Jaret Wright, probably not he never played). This is a solid move as long as the young guys are given a fair shot.

Comment

Name me 5 other starters the Orioles currently possess who you'd even trust to be league average right now and I'll answer you.

Comment

Minor league deal... don't sweat it.

Ed's right -- the other options aren't much better at this point.
        http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

It was a minor league deal only until Baez & Ray are moved to the 60 day... The day pitchers & catchers report.

He will be on the team & in the rotation!!!!

Assuming Guthrie , Cabrera , & Lowen are in the rotation

That left 2 spots for Olson,Albers, Patton,Penn & the rest of the pile we have competing ...Not to mention Gallagher as he would likely be in the rotation if he comes in the Roberts to the Cubs deal.

Comment

I would still like to see Cabrera moved to the bullpen, but it'll probably not happen.

The Orioles were considering signing Josh Fogg according to rumor. If it isn't Traschel, it will be someone else. The team will have one spot open for Patton-Olsen-Penn-Albers and possibly Gallagher.

Remember what happened this past season. Expect to see more than five players start games for the Orioles in 2008. And in '09, I expect to see three spots open with Guthrie and Loewen lasting. By the target year (2010), who knows... that's when our other pitching prospects should be in the fold.

On a side note, the Norfolk Tides will hopefully enjoy a good season this year!
            http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

I would love to see Guthrie-Loewen-Cabrera-Albers-Olson, personally. But I'm not upset that Trachsel's back.

Another thing this trade does is make Andy MacPhail look like a genius and Jim Hendry look stupid. When the trade went down, I was amazed that he a) got rid of Trachsel, and b) actually got somebody good back for him. Now, he's back with the Orioles after putting up an 8.31 ERA and a 56 ERA+ with the Cubs. So MacPhail got a guy who could start at 3B in a year or two, as well as a decent reliever, for a month of a guy with an 8.31 ERA -- and then got him back afterwards.

BTW, you're missing Chris Roberson, Fernando Cabrera, and Greg Aquino.

Comment

Assuming Guthrie , Cabrera , & Lowen are in the rotation

That left 2 spots for Olson,Albers, Patton,Penn & the rest of the pile we have competing ...Not to mention Gallagher as he would likely be in the rotation if he comes in the Roberts to the Cubs deal.
                From the people competing I don't really see anyone that wouldn't benefit with a little extra time at Norfolk.

Olson- Was awful in his time here last year. He was excellent in AAA last season, but something was working in the bigs. There always things he could work on.

Albers- He was also awful. It should only be worst moving to the AL. I see him in the bullpen though.

Patton- Solid, but not outstanding in AAA last season. Personally I think he gets the 5th spot as of now.

Penn- Missed alot of time the past couple years. Should start in AAA to get back in form.

Liz- Should be in AAA until September unless there are injuries.

Trachsel starting in the rotation is really no big deal. Who are these young guys going to turn to when they start struggle? It's nice for them to have a veteran, thats had success for many years, to turn to for advice and guidance.

Comment

I was just thinking. Wouldn't it be ironic if Cabrera chose NOW to turn it on?

Also... any idea why the heck he isn't your closer? It seems to me that he'd be a prime candidate for the bullpen.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                    Also... any idea why the heck he isn't your closer? It seems to me that he'd be a prime candidate for the bullpen.
                    There's been rumors, but I think they want to give him every chance to succeed in the rotation. Personally I've never understood the idea. All of his problems seem to be at the begining of games. He'll give up 5 runs in the first inning or two, then pitch 6 shutout innings. That seems like exactly the opposite type of pitcher you'd want to convert.

Comment

I gotta tell yah, I liked this deal. I was a bit upset when we let him go late last season to the Cubs.

He was one of the brighter spots on our Starting Pitching Staff last season.
                      I welcome him back, w/ open arms!

Good move, on the Baltimore Orioles Front Office. Thumbs up!

And we got him at a good rate, not bad.

Comment

He did have a good year last year with the O's, above average. I wasn't upset when he was traded, but I'm definitely not upset that he's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                          Name me 5 other starters the Orioles currently possess who you'd even trust to be league average right now and I'll answer you.
                          Can't name 5 but I can name 2 ... Adam Loewen, Jeremy Guthrie ... other than that Cabrera has potential but they have said for the past 3 years he is gonna break out, I just dont see it happening anymore, however I hope I'm wrong about him. That's why those 3 are the only starters the Orioles have so I'll say Trachsel isn't too bad for #4, plus they wanted a veteran who can guide the young guys ... Adam Loewen will be the ace by this year's end if he stays healthy tho.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X