Earliest Oriole Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earliest Oriole Memory

As a foreigner on holiday here I ( in NW DC ) in summer of 1978, mine is watching Orioles against Yanks at Memorial Stadium on my birthday ( 16 ). I was in the bleachers and when Reggie trotted out to right field the "nicities" began. I barely knew who he was but decided then and there that (1) I was an Orioles fan and (2) I did not like the Yanks. 13 years later I moved from UK to New York. Still here, still an Orioles fan . Nobody in NY can understand why I am but once I saw the 78 team and then went to 79 World Series I would be for life even living in New York.

My earliest memory is seeing them beat up on the Angles in the 1979 A.L. Championship series. I remember being a huge Rod Carew fan and hoping to see the Angels get into the WS. I was sick and was allowed by my parents to get out of bed to go lie on the couch in the living room each night to see the games. I also have vague earlier memories of watching Earl Weaver get kicked out of numerous games, but the first memory that I can definitely place a date with is the '79 AL series.

Comment

I was at both games at Memorial Stadium. If I remeber correctly we won series 3-1,beating Nolan Ryan in Baltimore in the process.

Comment

At the age of five, my Dad called me in to watch the Orioles play the Yankees when Roger Maris was trying to match Babe Ruth in the 154th game of the 1961 season. I remember, in his last at bat, Roger sending a dribbler back to Oriole relief pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm.

That was one of my first intros to baseball - and when I found out my Grandfather was once part of the old St. Louis Browns' organization, my AL team from that point on became the Orioles. And the first hero, who I saw in that game, was Diamond Jim Gentile.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldMember
          I was at both games at Memorial Stadium. If I remeber correctly we won series 3-1,beating Nolan Ryan in Baltimore in the process.
          I think you're right, it was probably Ryan's last game as an Angel as he signed with the Astros that offseason. My earliest Oriole memory naturally would be the following series. All I remembered at the time (refreshed 10x over thanks to books and ESPN Classic) were that there were quite a few rain delays and rainouts during the series, and I remember games 4 and 5 of the series the most. The Bucs up 6-3 in game 4, then the wheels coming off as the O's scored 6 in the top of the 8th, it was my first in what would be many lessons in frustration as a baseball fan. Then the next game where Jim Rooker and Bert Blyleven combined for a great pitching performance as the Bucs staved off elimination 7-1. I don't remember much about games 6 and 7, but I think those games were on weeknights and I had to be in Bed for preschool the next day.
          LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

One of my earliest memories period, was watching a bunch of guys in orange jump up and down on the TV screen in my parents' bedroom.
            http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Hearing my grandfather listen to the games on the radio on the porch while I was supposed to be sleeping...I knew all their names before I was even school age, haven't lived in Balto for 15 years, but my 8-year-old and I still follow them as a favorite team; it never leaves you.

Worst memory...getting "kissed" by the Oriole bird at a game.

Comment

Originally posted by J W
                One of my earliest memories period, was watching a bunch of guys in orange jump up and down on the TV screen in my parents' bedroom.
                Were you watching Denver Bronco fans on a typical Sunday at Mile High?

Comment

Sometime before 1985, some batter being hit in the head with a pitch, and the person replacing him stealing second and being caught stealing at third.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Jaw
                    Were you watching Denver Bronco fans on a typical Sunday at Mile High?
                    I was wondering if someone would take a guess. No, it turned out to be the final game of the 1983 World Series, though I hardly knew what was going on at the time.
                    http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

Listening to an Oriole game in April or May 1954 where Bob Turley and the Orioles were beating the Cleveland Indians 1-0. I think Bob Turley had a no-hitter going until the 8th or 9th inning until Al Rosen came up and belted a 2-run homer. (Yeah, I am an old dude - lol)

Favorite Oriole memory (other than the World Series wins) was in August 1973 when Jim Palmer was pitching against the Kansas City Royals. Paul Blair came up with the bases loaded and hit a shot between the center and right fielders. He came around to score an inside the park grand slam home run. I was there in Memorial Stadium with about 12,000 other fans that day.

Comment

my dad used to preach about solid defense.
                        that lead to me adopting the eastcoast orange and black.
                        the robinsons, belanger, buford, blair, gentile, etcheverry, aparicio, blefary, johnson, hendricks, palmer, mcnally, cuellar, dobson, et al will always be a part of me.
                        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Remember watching Frank homer off of Drysdale-game four of the 66 WS. It was three months before my 5th birthday. Not long after that, my parents bought me a Frank Robinson t-shirt with his name and number on the back. On the front it had the orange Orioles logo, and something about them being the 1966 world champions.

Comment

Jon Miller's Christmas Call in 1983

Hi, first real Orioles memory, albeit a long distance one (via Radio), was early in the 1983 season. It was snowing, so Jon Miller at the Mic starts reciting "The Night Before Christmas". Went pretty much like this, although I forget the details, please forgive foggy memory:

"...the stockings were hung by the chimney with care ... in the hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there ... You have Prancer, Donner & Dixon (? on base?) ... Dancer warming up in the bullpen ..." (hysterical laughter in background) "... and here's a looong fly ball .... Merry Christmas, John Lowenstein!!!"

Anyone remember this call?

Was at the Vet in Philly for the WS games for first "in person" memories. Our Shortstop, Ivan Dejesus, had all these errors (I think 3) in one game. But was so happy to just be there that I adopted the O's as second team & followed games whenever I could get them on Radio from then on.
                            Last edited by FrenchyLefebvre; 04-09-2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Heres mine,I was just 12 years old back 1973 on my birthday me and my dad sit at section 6 box seats in 7 rows watching a Redsox vs Orioles game on saturday afternoon orioles were losing 6-4 in the 8th and this jerk came from the back shouting JAKE LOVES THE RED SOX!! JAKE LOVES THE RED SOX!! I cant stand him!! Why do these people from boston have to bother us? Why cant they go to new york and bother those yankee fans? You know why they wont? Cause Yank fans get into fights than orioles fans do thats why.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X