Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think about this: Are Papi and Manny the best 1-2 punch since Gehrig and Ruth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think about this: Are Papi and Manny the best 1-2 punch since Gehrig and Ruth?

Time will tell I guess, but if these guys play together in for the next 3-5 years and put up 30+ dingers, 100+ ribbies, 30+doubles, high batting averages, etc, year in year out I think they're a serious threat. Maybe if they win another world series or two. Obviously not as great as Gehrig/Ruth, but the best since maybe?. I guess I've overlooked Mays and McCovey.
    "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

--Mays/McCovey, Mathews/Aaron, Simmons/Foxx, Gehrig/DiMaggio, Martinez/Griffey (or Griffey/Rodriguez or any combination of the 3), Mantle/Maris in the short run or Mantle/Berra over a longer one. Probably at least several more if I thought about it some. I doubt they are/will be amoung the top 20 combos in history.

Comment

I think Papi and Pokey Reese are the best 1-2 punch of alltime. Papi and anyone

Seriously, Papi and Manny are about as good as it gets offensively.
      BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

does mantle & maris say something?
        how about canseco and mcgwire?

Comment

Originally posted by yes to bert & al!
          how about canseco and mcgwire?
          If you like your athletes juiced, then why not?

2007 World Series Champions
          The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
            If you like your athletes juiced, then why not?
            Well, if you're a David Ortiz fan...
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
              Well, if you're a David Ortiz fan...
              Ooooh, EH... thin ice, thin ice...

David Ortiz cheerfully made his contribution to the tests, saying "There'll find nothin' in me but rice and beans."
              --Annie
              Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
              Remember Yellowdog
              ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                Didn't mean to step on any toes.

Manny Ramirez is easily one of my favorite players in baseball, and I'd never say an unkind word about him. Something just strikes me as very, very fishy about Ortiz, though.
                "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan

David Ortiz cheerfully made his contribution to the tests, saying "There'll find nothin' in me but rice and beans."
                  That the same Ortiz who also accused the test of being racist???
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

you guys are nuts to think Papi is juiced. Look at the bash brothers and then look at Papi. The bash brothers are built like Arnold and Papi is built like the dude on my softball team. Are you the same people who think Helton was on the juice? ludacrous

Comment

Ortiz never got bigger. He and Ron Jackson did a lot of work. Ortiz could never turn on the inside fastball. Now that he can...

Take other things into consideration other than a spike in his numbers, please

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                        Ortiz never got bigger. He and Ron Jackson did a lot of work. Ortiz could never turn on the inside fastball. Now that he can...
                        He was also injured while in Minnisota and hasn't missed many games due to health yet in Boston if at all. He also moved to a more hitter friendly park as well...

Take other things into consideration other than a spike in his numbers, please
                        A victim of the era but he also had a foot in mouth moment brought about the possibilities when he complained about the tests. No one would have considered a link until he made the complaint...
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                          Didn't mean to step on any toes.

Manny Ramirez is easily one of my favorite players in baseball, and I'd never say an unkind word about him. Something just strikes me as very, very fishy about Ortiz, though.

I know a lot of people say that you can just tell with guys.
                          I can just tell that Ortiz isn't on anything. He has perfected one swing for power, and I agree with BoSox...Jackson helped him immensely, by Ortiz's own admission.
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I'm pretty convinced the only illegal substance you'd find in Manny's urine is a popular herbal remedy that will remain unnamed (occasional brain lapses in the outfield and basepaths, things that happened 5 minutes ago don't bother him because he seems to forget it ever happened, His zen-like approach to the batting box... fits the profile.)

Ortiz was tested and passed. I don't know about Manny.

As to the original question, I don't think there's any real way to absolutely say for sure, but I can tell you for sure that I'm not complaining.
                            "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                            -Scott Stossel

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                              A victim of the era but he also had a foot in mouth moment brought about the possibilities when he complained about the tests. No one would have considered a link until he made the complaint...

Ortiz has made that complaint about everything to do with spanish speaking players and the media as well, and he has a very valid point. The only steroids-related complaint that made me go "hmmm" was Nomar's back in the beginning of the whole thing.
                              "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
                              -Scott Stossel

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X