Loretta Starting 2nd Baseman in All-Star Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loretta Starting 2nd Baseman in All-Star Game

Tom Caron just announced that Loretta has surpassed Cano in votes for the starting position. Great news for Boston!

Anyone have a link?
    Last edited by SoxSon; 07-02-2006, 01:20 PM.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

I dont have a link but wow, I didnt see that coming. Cano was ahead the whole time.

Congrats Loretta
    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Hope he's not full of hot air!
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
        Haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Hope he's not full of hot air!
        Well, we will see. The all stars will be announced at 7:00 tonight. It is possible Loretta passed Cano because 1.5 millon ballots were cast in this last week. I belive our other possible all star (positional) starters are V-Tek (tightley contested with Ivan Rodriguez) Ortiz, and Ramirez. I hope Lowell can make it as a backup.
        Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 07-02-2006, 02:23 PM.
        go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Loretta did indeed make the team. Along with fellow Red Sox Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, and Jonathan Papelbon.

V-Tek was ahead in all star voting most of the way but a late rally by pudge rodriguez beats him to it.

MIAMI -- The Red Sox had themselves a quartet of representatives when the American League All-Star team was announced by Major League baseball on Sunday.
          The group with an all-access invitation to Pittsburgh was flanked by superstar sluggers David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, and rounded out by star rookie closer Jonathan Papelbon and steady second baseman Mark Loretta.

It was one of those years when the Red Sox had a lot of deserving players, so not everybody could make it.

Perhaps the most noteworthy snub was ace right-hander Curt Schilling, who entered the day tied for the American League lead in wins with 10, fifth in strikeouts (102), fifth in innings (114 1/3) and fourth in WHIP (1.08).

Josh Beckett (10 wins), Mike Lowell, Jason Varitek (who led AL catchers in fan voting most of the way) and Kevin Youkilis were other Boston players in the running.

"Always my hope is that as many guys as possible make it because they're our guys," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "My other hope is that those guys you're talking about got great consideration. If nothing else, maybe they got the respect of people looking. That would mean a lot to me."

Francona said earlier this week that he's in favor of Ramirez, who along with Ortiz and Loretta was voted in by the fans, not playing in the game and instead rest his ailing right knee.

The All-Star Game will be played on July 11 at PNC Park.

This is Ramirez's 10th All-Star appearance. He has been voted in as a starter all six years he's been with the Red Sox. The milestones continue to add up for the gifted cleanup hitter, who notched career hit No. 2,000 on Saturday.

Ramirez hits behind the fearsome Ortiz, who has gone from platoon player in Minnesota to an All-Star for the Red Sox the last three seasons.

Ortiz, who finished second in the AL MVP voting in 2005, is having yet another monster season. He leads the Major Leagues in RBIs, and is tied for first in the AL with 26 homers. Because there is no DH in this year's game, Ortiz will start at first base.

Despite his rookie status, there was little doubt that Papelbon would make the team. He became the first pitcher since Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley in 1992 to successfully convert his first 20 save opportunities in a season. Almost unfathomably, Papelbon gave up just two earned runs in his first 40 1/3 innings of work. The case can be made that he's been Boston's MVP in the first half.

Then there is Loretta, who has simply blended in on both sides of the ball. After a sluggish April, Loretta broke out by hitting .405 in May and .330 in June. A key part of a defense that broke a Major League record for consecutive errorless games, Loretta committed just three errors in his first 324 chances.
          go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Varitek didn't make it. *phew*

Sorry Red Sox fans, but a slumping Varitek kicking Joe Mauer or Pudge to the curb would've been a travesty.
            The Q: Can the Cubs hold a 6-5 lead with 2 outs and nobody on in the 9th?

The A: No

***********My Rant on Bud Selig***********
            Selig is like a stray pigeon. Pigeons are too self-absorbed to care about anyone else. They poo on people they don't like; they poo on people they don't even know. The only real difference between Selig and a pigeon is that Selig intends to bury our heritage, our traditions, and our culture,

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ

Sorry Red Sox fans, but a slumping Varitek kicking Joe Mauer or Pudge to the curb would've been a travesty.
              I agree, same should have been true for Paul Konerko over David Ortize.

Pudge plays for the better team and they and the White Sox deserve one guy each at least in the starting lineup. Varitek likely will likely make the team as a reserve so he will be an All Star, just not starting.
              Best posts ever:
              Originally posted by nymdan
              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I think Cano's being injured certainly helped Loretta. I'm happy for Mark. He had a great year last year in SD.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by KingJ

I agree that this isn't Tek's year, but Pudge? It shouldn't be his, either. Mauer should be representing the AL at catcher...in my mind, there's no question. I don't agree that a team's W-L record should have much to do with it.

That being said, I'm happy for the four that made it from Boston. I'm particularly glad for Loretta, who is a quietly effective middle infielder.

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis
                    I think Cano's being injured certainly helped Loretta. I'm happy for Mark. He had a great year last year in SD.

Yes, I think you're right. Phew.

Comment

Here's the link for the starting roster for AL and NL.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ev...ter_league.jsp

I think Mauer should have started over Pudge and Wells over Vlad.

Comment

Papelbon made the team as a reliever making it four Red Sox players on the team, but I have heard some rumblings that Manny may not play in the game...not sure how true that rumor is but it is a possibility...
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that with David Ortiz being named 1B starter (no DH this year), the starting infield is Boston on the right side and New York on the left (Jeter & A-Rod).

2007 World Series Champions
                          The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                            Papelbon made the team as a reliever making it four Red Sox players on the team, but I have heard some rumblings that Manny may not play in the game...not sure how true that rumor is but it is a possibility...
                            I also heard that Manny might not be playing but not on his own accord. Francona and other people in the Red Sox organization have been apparentley trying to get him excluded from the all star game because he is playing on a sore right knee. Wether or not he wants to play, I dunno, but it could be a real possibility that he does not participate.
                            go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                              I agree that this isn't Tek's year, but Pudge? It shouldn't be his, either. Mauer should be representing the AL at catcher...in my mind, there's no question. I don't agree that a team's W-L record should have much to do with it.
                              The only question in my mind is "Where the (insert bad word here) is Ramon Hernandez? Leads all catchers in HR, RBI, and is easily the best defensive catcher out there (yes, better than Pudge).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X