• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoxSon
    replied
    Originally posted by Evangelion
    Because of fantasy baseball?

Where Willingham listed as a catcher.

The last time I actually took note of him, while watching a game, he was playing catcher.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Originally posted by SoxSon
    My bad. I gotta get with it.

For some reason, I still have it in my head...Willingham=Catcher.
    Because of fantasy baseball?

Where Willingham listed as a catcher.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Willingham not a catcher, Olivo catching in Florida.
    My bad. I gotta get with it.

For some reason, I still have it in my head...Willingham=Catcher.
    Last edited by SoxSon; 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    I suppose LoDuca is not a terrible choice. I'd probably have taken McCann, Estrada, and Barrett before him, and perhaps Piazza too for nostalgia's sake.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    If you don't quote the original post, Evangelion, I'm not sure that anyone will know who you're talking to.
    Not much of a person to quote too much. Make my post look messy.

Besides, my original post was directed at any person who thought Martinez should be a back-up in the All-Star game.

I think I'd take Willingham (though I hate that average), McCann and Ross over LoDuca.

I suppose the thing to remember is that the All-Star game just isn't solely about stats.
    Willingham not a catcher, Olivo catching in Florida. He's also not hitting all that well since his hot start to the season. He's been coming around recently.

Ross just doesn't have enough games started at catcher.

Don't forget Johnny Estrada of Arizona.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    Side-note, anyone else dumbfounded by Paul LoDuca starting at catcher for the NL?
    I think I'd take Willingham (though I hate that average), McCann and Ross over LoDuca.

I suppose the thing to remember is that the All-Star game just isn't solely about stats.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Martinez is one of the worst defensive catcher in baseball. Why would you take him when his offensive numbers are not as mind blowing as Mauer's number?

Not debate Martinez can hit, because he can, but he's just plain awful behide the plate.

If you don't quote the original post, Evangelion, I'm not sure that anyone will know who you're talking to.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    The Pierzynski vote-in bothers me on a couple of levels. First, I don't think he's anywhere near deserving. Second, I really can't stand him on a personal level, and I'd rather see him go home for the break.

The other item of note (and I know you've fleshed this out in the Yankees forum) is that both of our teams had major snubs, in Mussina and Schilling. No matter how many times I hear it explained, I still can't feel ok about Mark Redman taking up a spot. If they have to have someone from the Royals, why couldn't it be DeJesus or Mientkiewicz, or if it has to be a pitcher, what about Gobble?
    I agree with you about Pierzynski. I can't stand the guy and am completely dumbfounded about how he made that final ballot and then was able to beat out guys like Liriano and Verlander who should be on the roster without question. I understand Guillen wanting to pay homage to his own guy by putting him on the ballot, but why not Joe Crede? This is two years in a row now that a White Sox player has won the final spot - perhaps its indicative that the White Sox and not the Cubs are becoming Chicago's team.

Side-note, anyone else dumbfounded by Paul LoDuca starting at catcher for the NL?

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Martinez is one of the worst defensive catcher in baseball. Why would you take him when his offensive numbers are not as mind blowing as Mauer's number?

Not debate Martinez can hit, because he can, but he's just plain awful behide the plate.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    I agree. I think all around, Hernandez deserves to go and backup Mauer, while Rodriguez should be home. Though I don't have too big of a problem with Rodriguez being there - his reputation precedes him and he is having a good enough of year where his pick isn't as outlandish as say Jason Varitek. Personally though, I'd probably take Mauer, Hernandez, Posada, and Martinez over Rodriguez this year, and perhaps Pierzysnski too.
    The Pierzynski vote-in bothers me on a couple of levels. First, I don't think he's anywhere near deserving. Second, I really can't stand him on a personal level, and I'd rather see him go home for the break.

The other item of note (and I know you've fleshed this out in the Yankees forum) is that both of our teams had major snubs, in Mussina and Schilling. No matter how many times I hear it explained, I still can't feel ok about Mark Redman taking up a spot. If they have to have someone from the Royals, why couldn't it be DeJesus or Mientkiewicz, or if it has to be a pitcher, what about Gobble?

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Yes! You took the words out of my mouth. After Mauer, I really think Hernandez should be given close attention.

By the way, what bet did you lose?!
    I agree. I think all around, Hernandez deserves to go and backup Mauer, while Rodriguez should be home. Though I don't have too big of a problem with Rodriguez being there - his reputation precedes him and he is having a good enough of year where his pick isn't as outlandish as say Jason Varitek. Personally though, I'd probably take Mauer, Hernandez, Posada, and Martinez over Rodriguez this year, and perhaps Pierzysnski too.

Leave a comment:

• RedSoxVT92
    replied
    We are only going to have three BoSox to go to the all star game. Manny declined the invitation because of his nagging right knee.

"Thank you to the millions of baseball fans who voted for my selection to the 2006 All-Star team that will be played in Pittsburgh next week. I am truly honored by your selection and grateful to have received the most fan votes of any player in the American League. Having played in several All-Star Games in my career, I recognize the value and importance of the All-Star Game. It has always been an honor to be selected and to participate in the game and its festivities.

"Throughout most of the 2006 season, I have been playing with nagging soreness in my right knee. After much consultation and discussion with my team, we have decided that it is necessary for me to rest my knee over the three-day All-Star break. Thank you very much for your understanding."

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Leads all catchers in HR, RBI, and is easily the best defensive catcher out there (yes, better than Pudge).
    Check your facts before you say Ramon better than Pudge with the glove. Pudge has the best fielding percentage in MLB. He's only 9 base runners have stole a base on Pudge. While Ramon allowed 28 stolen base.

Oh, you forget to mention that Ramon has 8 eights oppose to Pudge's 0.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    With the inclusion of Loretta, yes, I noticed that, too.

Interesting that the starting AL catcher is a "neutral" third party.
    The only AL Central starter in the mix. Although Joe Mauer deserves in more.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    Yes! You took the words out of my mouth. After Mauer, I really think Hernandez should be given close attention.

By the way, what bet did you lose?!
    one to HankAaron86. Last time I bet on the O's.

So now I'm 1-1 on bets overall, winning once with the Sox and losing with the O's.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X