Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Sox Give Up Too Soon on Renteria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoxSon
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    I'm still scratching my head at why the Sox not only gave up Renteria, but are paying him millions to play for the Braves. After a bumpy season in Boston last year, in a new league and a tough city for some to adjust to, Renteria has returned to All Star form in Atlanta and is having one of his finest seasons. I really don't get why the Sox would invest millions in Renteria (who they overrated to begin with) but then give up on him so soon without seeing if he could bounce back. At least the Sox were able to parlay the deal into a CFer in Coco Crisp, but right now Renteria is the superior player (despite great catches by Coco ). Question is, could he have done what he's doing now if he stayed in Boston?
    I thought it was rash at the time, but I don't anymore. From what I've read, it appears pretty clear that Renteria wanted out of Boston in a bad way.

He wouldn't be doing this well with the Sox, no. He'd be too busy in therapy.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Renteria still making quite a few errors at SS, but not as horrible as last season.

Anyway, no, I don't believe the Sox gave up too soon on Renteria. Honestly, Renteria was being affected by the pressure of playing in Boston. Let's just say he went to New York during that trade and start slowly, he be boo'ed and won't back on track since it does seem boo'ing bother Renteria. Pressure seem to bother him and nothing, but playing at an All-Star level would keep him boo'ing him.

Renteria better in a less hostile enviroment. The Red Sox need a CF, so they dealt Renteria, got Marte and traded Marte for Crisp, who will be a useful player right now and for the future. Not too happy they're paying such a large portion of his contract though.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    started a topic Did the Sox Give Up Too Soon on Renteria?

Did the Sox Give Up Too Soon on Renteria?

I'm still scratching my head at why the Sox not only gave up Renteria, but are paying him millions to play for the Braves. After a bumpy season in Boston last year, in a new league and a tough city for some to adjust to, Renteria has returned to All Star form in Atlanta and is having one of his finest seasons. I really don't get why the Sox would invest millions in Renteria (who they overrated to begin with) but then give up on him so soon without seeing if he could bounce back. At least the Sox were able to parlay the deal into a CFer in Coco Crisp, but right now Renteria is the superior player (despite great catches by Coco ). Question is, could he have done what he's doing now if he stayed in Boston?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X