Red Sox All-Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoubleX
    I've actually been feeling the opposite. I feel like less players in the past couple of years have been ducking out then there were 5-10 years ago.

That may be, but what is the overall trend? Certainly fewer players care about the All-Star game than in decades past. I'd also say that there is some force behind making it count towards homefield advantage. It's not appropriate force, but it will bend some players towards trying a bit. I think there are better ways to do this, though.

(By the way, just to be clear, I'm not saying that Ramirez doesn't care. I really don't know how he feels about it.)
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

He had exceeded his pitch count....

[QUOTE=Mattingly]

================

Anyway, I'm here to ask y'all about whether you folks had wanted to see Papelbon last night. He'd pitched 3.1 innings on Saturday and Sunday. Were you happy he never appeared or would've preferred to see him pitch an inning?[/QUOTE

So Francona asked him not to pitch, and told Ozzie. It doesn't matter to me or not whether he pitched; I think Papelbon was just pleased to be there. Just remember, I said last August he would be another Roger Clemens. I haven't changed my mind.
      Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
      Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousBoston
        Just remember, I said last August he would be another Roger Clemens. I haven't changed my mind.

I sure hope you're proven right about that comparison, CB. (Except for the whole Boston dumping him part! )
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Papelbon is extremely impressive and even as a Yankees fan, I'd love to see what he can do in the rotation. I don't think, however, he'll be able to keep up his insanely low ERA for the whole season. A couple of bad outings at some point will bring his ERA up, but it will still be very impressive whatever it is.

As for him being the next Roger Clemens...It will take me about 10 years before I might start considering that. It's no easy thing for a pitcher to sustain dominance just for a few years, let along over two decades like Clemens. Look at Mark Prior - he was a sure fire thing, everyone said his mechanics were so smooth that he'd be able to avoid problems. And now look - his career has been marred by injury after injury. You really never know with pitchers.

Comment

Papelbon is extremely impressive and even as a Yankees fan, I'd love to see what he can do in the rotation. I don't think, however, he'll be able to keep up his insanely low ERA for the whole season. A couple of bad outings at some point will bring his ERA up, but it will still be very impressive whatever it is.
            We will find out next year, but if he is even remotely as good as he is now he will be a key member of the rotation for the next few years.
            Last edited by efin98; 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

DoubleX, if you want a better example than Cano, then use Alex Rios, who show up for the game despite that injury he had, we know how serious Rios' injury is at the moment. To my knowledge, Rios was also on a crutch, too. He's a better example than Cano when you want to support the idea a player should attempt to show up to All-Star game if he can not play or does not want to play.

Player caring less about the All-Star game than before? Did we not notice how many young first times they were at the All-Star game. It seem to me players like David Wright and Dan Uggla were extremely happy to be at the All-Star game. The older players like Manny are starting to give baton of the league over to young stars like David Wright.

Manny and Pedro were the only players selected, but did not show up. Pedro has an excuse while Manny has an excuse, too, but many people are very skeptical about Manny's injury. Skeptical being the keyword since only Manny and few other people in the organization know how injuried he really is. Though, there's no real proof, so no room for speculation.

Still, in the eye of the public, even without proof, Manny guilty of being a self-absorb jerk that blew the fans off to get some time off even though being voted into the All-Star game. Manny does not good in the eye of the public at the moment.

To me, I think he should have at least shown up. If he could play 19 innings, then showing up can't be all that difficult or impossible. Don't care he didn't play, but was a bit bother he didn't even show up despite being voted into the game.

If Papelbon was not going to pitch, then he would not be there. Glavine was not going to pitch, so he removed himself from the roster. If Papelbon was not going to pitch, he would have removed himself from the roster, too, no? He still would be there and at the game, but just not on the active roster. Keeping an inactive pitcher on the team does not make all that much sense. I doubt Tito informed Guillen not use Papelbon much sooner than the day of the game, I hope.

Comment

How many guys have jumped from being a successful closer to a successful starter? I only know John Smoltz to have done it back and forth.

I think that in order to be successful, he'd have to use all his tricks, since instead of getting perhaps 4 guys out, he'd need to go through the whole lineup. A save vs the 6-7-8 guys counts just as much as the 3-4-5 guys, so he can't choose his opponents. However, as a starter, he'd have to keep fooling people once they'd each seen him 3 times.

If he can do that, more power to him. I'd really need to see what he can do before making judgment. It would be interesting to see if he is indeed the next Roger Clemens. I'd have to see if he can be the next Pedro first, as Clemens has a very long resume that will take many years of success before someone else can duplicate.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                  DoubleX, if you want a better example than Cano, then use Alex Rios, who show up for the game despite that injury he had, we know how serious Rios' injury is at the moment. To my knowledge, Rios was also on a crutch, too. He's a better example than Cano when you want to support the idea a player should attempt to show up to All-Star game if he can not play or does not want to play.

Player caring less about the All-Star game than before? Did we not notice how many young first times they were at the All-Star game. It seem to me players like David Wright and Dan Uggla were extremely happy to be at the All-Star game. The older players like Manny are starting to give baton of the league over to young stars like David Wright.

Manny and Pedro were the only players selected, but did not show up. Pedro has an excuse while Manny has an excuse, too, but many people are very skeptical about Manny's injury. Skeptical being the keyword since only Manny and few other people in the organization know how injuried he really is. Though, there's no real proof, so no room for speculation.

Still, in the eye of the public, even without proof, Manny guilty of being a self-absorb jerk that blew the fans off to get some time off even though being voted into the All-Star game. Manny does not good in the eye of the public at the moment.

To me, I think he should have at least shown up. If he could play 19 innings, then showing up can't be all that difficult or impossible. Don't care he didn't play, but was a bit bother he didn't even show up despite being voted into the game.

If Papelbon was not going to pitch, then he would not be there. Glavine was not going to pitch, so he removed himself from the roster. If Papelbon was not going to pitch, he would have removed himself from the roster, too, no? He still would be there and at the game, but just not on the active roster. Keeping an inactive pitcher on the team does not make all that much sense. I doubt Tito informed Guillen not use Papelbon much sooner than the day of the game, I hope.
                  I didn't know about Alex Rios' injury or else I would have used that as an example.

I think you're on to something with the correlation between enthusiasm and the amount of young players at the game. Hopefully the new generation can instil a new passion into the All Star game. I was very impressed by the turnout this year. For just two selected players to not make it is impressive in my book. I applaud guys like Rios, Cano, Reyes, Glavine, Contreras, Papelbon (who likely knew he wasn't going to pitch) and anyone I might be forgetting, for showing up. To me, that shows that these guys get it. And as a fan that would kill to be able to play baseball for living, I appreciate seeing that these guys are having a good time and appreciate and enjoy baseball. One of my favorite parts about the All Star festivities is watching the players sit on the sidelines with their children and their camcorders videotaping the homerun derby. It personalizes the players for me and shows that they too are just fans.
                  Last edited by DoubleX; 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Hopefully the new generation can instil a new passion into the All Star game.
                    For the record, I do, too. I just hope that MLB gets on the right track as well.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X