Ryan or Papelbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan or Papelbon

This thread was started in the Blue Jays forum: http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=46755.
    I was wondering what the people on the other side of the fence would say...

Here is the first post:
    B.J. Ryan or Papelbon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you guys are mostly Jays (Red Sox in this case) fans, but putting fan bias aside, who would you pick as your closer if you were a GM, Ryan or Papelbon?

You could make the case for either, but both have been absolutely dominant.

Ryan has the advantage of being a lefty, but you can't argue with Papelbon's 0.42 ERA.

Me, I would go with Papelbon, but I guess you can't make a wrong choice here.
    WAMCO!

Already posted on Jays side.

My answer:- Papelbon

Comment

Let's not forget Ryan has suffer an awful blown save, if you remember Ortiz's HR off him last year when he was on the O's. Ryan, at this point, is proven closer who will not fold under pressure or after a horrible lose.

Not taking one thing from Papelbon, but he has yet to experience a loss of that level just yet. Closer's mind comes into question and how he'll rebound having blowing and losing the game for a team. Papelbon yet to lose the game for the team when he's blown the save. Meaning he took the lose.

At this point, B.J. Ryan might be my choice.

Comment

don't get crazy with giving that big an edge to Ryan he's only been doing it for just the one year, so its not like he's got a ton of experience either. I'd take Papelbon, Although I still want Pap in the rotation come next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
          don't get crazy with giving that big an edge to Ryan he's only been doing it for just the one year, so its not like he's got a ton of experience either. I'd take Papelbon, Although I still want Pap in the rotation come next year.
          One full year, where he's been touched up badly, but came back and still continue to be effective. He's in his second year and still cruising once again. Papelbon yet to suffer a walk-off HR off him, so not sure how he'll do with big time failure.

Comment

It's not like he's never closed before. He was a closer all through college. Papelbon is pitching better. Case closed. Ryan is good, but Pap is pitching amazing.

Comment

i dont live far from baltimore and caught a few o's games and
              saw ryan come in and do a beautiful job closing the game.

i thought he would've been a nice addition to the sox this year,
              which would have made papelbon a starter but i guess
              theo didn't think the same thing.

but as of right now, i'd pick papelbon over ryan to close a game.
              twitter.com/NewEnglandFans

Comment

My Answer: Ryan

Ryan is still the more dominant pitcher, he deserves to win the DHL Delivery Man of the Year and is argurably better than "Mariano Rivera" this season.
                Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                  My Answer: Ryan

Ryan is still the more dominant pitcher, he deserves to win the DHL Delivery Man of the Year and is argurably better than "Mariano Rivera" this season.

That's your opinion. You have no stats whatsoever that back Ryan being better than Papelbon. He usually would deserve to with the DHL DMOTY, but Papelbon is just plain better. same amount of saves, better ERA. Papelbon is better so far this season. If it doesn't hold up this year, then so be it, but right now there's no arguing with anything but a personal opinion that Papelbon isn't better. He is. That doesn't mean Ryan is bad, but Pap is better so far.

Comment

Papelbon so far but at the end of the season I think Ryan. My opinion is that Papelbon era will be raised to about 1.20. And Ryan's will be near it. And Ryan alos has the k's to go along with it.
                    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Wow. Ex-O's closer, current Blue Jays closer, against Red Sox closer. It's too close for me to call, but I'll agree with JF7. Right now, Papelbon has a slight edge. But by the end of the year, I'm thinking Ryan.

Comment

Papelbon simply because he's been so lights out so far this year. Ryan has been phenomenal but hit before so I've got some doubts.

Comment

Ryan's 1st 3 full seasons he was inconsistent...walks killed him...Papelbon hasn't walked anyone--he might have too good of control (see Jermaine and Morneau's HR's)

Comment

Both are impresive closers. But im going to go with Papelbon. He has a lower ERA and is tied for the lead in saves. The Red Sox has great stuff every time he comes to the mound and is lights out. Papelbon is also younger than B.J. Although I wouldnt go past this year because im hoping Pap wont be a closer but instead a starter.

Until then its Papelbon.
                            go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

paps

I dont understand this stuff about how you cant pick papelbon until he blows a big save...what?!? you need someone to fail to be considered good? dont get me wrong ive seen lidge pitch lately...but papelbon doesnt need to mess up and then rebound from that to be good... plus he did give up a HR to dye in the bottom of the ninth that led to a 19 inning loss...i would say that is pretty bad...
                              Last edited by SoxSon; 07-19-2006, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X