Playing beanball with the A's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing beanball with the A's

Is it just me, or was anyone else worried last night when watching Milton Bradley pacing the dugout like a caged tiger, looking daggers at Schilling, after Schill had plunked Nick Swisher in retaliation for Haren's hitting Tek? I was thinking that of Bradley had faced Schilling once more, he might have "accidentally" let his bat fly....

I just hope this whole nonsense is over. Those tit-for-tat HBP incidents last night detracted so much from the good game that was being played. HP ump reilly could have tossed Schilling immediately, because it was fairly obvious that the plunking of Swisher was intentional.

On the other hand, back in the day, when pitchers staked their claim to the plate and pitched inside, and guys like Gibson and Drysdale weren't afraid of drilling batters, was there so much fury about it?

Will it continue today? Has it the potential to erupt into a really nasty situation?
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
    Is it just me, or was anyone else worried last night when watching Milton Bradley pacing the dugout like a caged tiger, looking daggers at Schilling, after Schill had plunked Nick Swisher in retaliation for Haren's hitting Tek? I was thinking that of Bradley had faced Schilling once more, he might have "accidentally" let his bat fly....

I just hope this whole nonsense is over. Those tit-for-tat HBP incidents last night detracted so much from the good game that was being played. HP ump reilly could have tossed Schilling immediately, because it was fairly obvious that the plunking of Swisher was intentional.

On the other hand, back in the day, when pitchers staked their claim to the plate and pitched inside, and guys like Gibson and Drysdale weren't afraid of drilling batters, was there so much fury about it?

Will it continue today? Has it the potential to erupt into a really nasty situation?
    Milton Bradley also isn't known for his self-discipline.

Will it continue today? Yes, I think it will. Not only do these two teams often find ways to jab at one another, today is a day game and Boston's forecast is in the '90's (you know what heat does to tempers?). After yesterday, I expect to see something along the same lines this afternoon.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

So far this series one Red Sox, and one Athletic have been hit each game. And I bet one of the Oakland A pitchers are going to retaliate for Schillings obvious retaliation and like SoxSon said tempetures are will be high. I just hope a fight doesnt break out because I dont want to see any of our players get suspended or anything like that.
      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

I didn't see the initial decking of Ortiz, but on the very brief replay yesterday, it looked more like a pitch that got away than a message pitch (although, or perhaps because, it was the most dangerous of the four hbps).

How did it seem at the time?

I wonder whether there would have been retaliation if the ball had missed his finger.
        The ball once struck off,
        Away flies the boy
        To the next destin'd post,
        And then home with joy.
        --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

I certainly hope that it doesn't continue today. I was at the game last night, sitting in right field, three rows back from the playing field. The comments and gestures made towards Milton Bradley were abhorrent and completely uncalled for. The people responsible were more interested in their beer than the ballgame and I felt sorry for the families in our section that had children with them. I personally told one of these idiots to watch his language. 99% of the people at Fenway are awesome, knowledgeable baseball fans and enjoy themselves responsibly and allow others to do the same. It's that other 1% that makes going to the ballpark a test in restraint, not just for players like Milton Bradley, but for fans too. I have no idea what was said behind the dugout, but in right field, Milton Bradley conducted himself with a great deal of class, considering the verbal abuse that was being thrown his way.
          As for the beanings that took place, VtSoxFan makes a good point regarding the pitchers of old. They weren't afraid to drill someone, and they owned the inside of the plate. Today, it's almost as if the inside has been taken away from the pitchers.
          I feel that anything that happens on the field is a part of the game. What baseball fan doesn't enjoy a confrontation between players? Fisk/Munson, Tek/A-Rod, or even Pedro/Zim? To me, it's all part of the game. Drunken, belligerent people (they're not "fans" by any stretch of the imagination) have no place at the ball park. They need to stay home and pound their beers where the rest of us don't have to listen to them or smell them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pudge 75
            I feel that anything that happens on the field is a part of the game. What baseball fan doesn't enjoy a confrontation between players?
            Pudge, I couldn't agree more with your main point about fan behavior.

But as a Dodger fan I didn't particularly enjoy the Marichal-Roseboro confrontation. That's extreme, but what if say Schilling got a spiked Achilles tendon in one of those ridiculous bench-clearing melees?
            Last edited by Sliding Billy; 07-16-2006, 08:51 AM.
            The ball once struck off,
            Away flies the boy
            To the next destin'd post,
            And then home with joy.
            --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Excellent point Sliding Billy!!! You are right and I stand corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
                So far this series one Red Sox, and one Athletic have been hit each game. And I bet one of the Oakland A pitchers are going to retaliate for Schillings obvious retaliation and like SoxSon said tempetures are will be high. I just hope a fight doesnt break out because I dont want to see any of our players get suspended or anything like that.
                Normally I would agree with you, but I do hope some Sox get suspended. I just hope a fight doesn't break out until Seanez or Tavarez are in the game, if at all.

Comment

There was one hit by pitch this game but it deffiently wasnt intentional. Kyle Snyder hit an A, but who would hit a player with no outs and men on 1st and 2nd. So I dont think the opposing team though much of it. No more action after that as the tension really just declined and nothing happend.
                  go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
                    There was one hit by pitch this game but it deffiently wasnt intentional. Kyle Snyder hit an A, but who would hit a player with no outs and men on 1st and 2nd. So I dont think the opposing team though much of it. No more action after that as the tension really just declined and nothing happend.
                    Good to hear there were no calamities, aside from the final score, that is.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I certainly hope that Wake and the offense get us back on track tomorrow against KC. It's the perfect opportunity to increase that shrinking half-game lead we have on the Yankees. With the Royals 27 games under .500, the Sox should at least be able to take 2 out of 3 in this series.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X