Keith Foulke wants game 4 of the '04 World Series ball :ughh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Foulke wants game 4 of the '04 World Series ball :ughh

I heard on Cold Pizza this morning that Keith Foulke wanted the shoes he wore for game four of the 'o4 world series ball back. He says he did not intend to donate his shoes, he meant to lend them. He also claims the '04 World Series ball used for game 4 that was also claimed by Doug (please forgive my spelling) Mienkiewitz on the grounds that he threw it to Doug. I`m wondering if this is true and if so what your opinions on this are. IMO it should belong to the Cardinals shouldn`t it? After all they where the home team and supplied the ball right?
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

I dont know why this World Series ball is so tough to let go of. Mientkiewicz or Foulke do not deserve the ball just because they caught/threw it. It belongs to the Red Sox. That ball is special in that it ended an 86 year drought of the World Series. The players dont need it for their personal collection to add to their millions of dollars. It should be on display for millions to see. Also why does Foulke need his cleets? I guess I can understand that a little bit better but the ball is another story. I dont like that Foulke stirred this whole thing up again.

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    IMO it should belong to the Cardinals shouldn`t it? After all they where the home team and supplied the ball right?
    That wouldnt make much sense for the Cardnals to have a World Series ball for which they were swept in.
    Last edited by RedSoxVT92; 07-17-2006, 07:17 PM.
    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
      I dont know why this World Series ball is so tough to let go of. Mientkiewicz or Foulke do not deserve the ball just because they caught/threw it. It belongs to the Red Sox. That ball is special in that it ended an 86 year drought of the World Series. The players dont need it for their personal collection to add to their millions of dollars. It should be on display for millions to see. Also why does Foulke need his cleets? I guess I can understand that a little bit better but the ball is another story. I dont like that Foulke stirred this whole thing up again.

That wouldnt make much sense for the Cardnals to have a World Series ball for which they were swept in.
      Well obviously he can`t afford to waste a good pair of cleets. I mean look at his salary, he is grossly underpaid and is hanging onto every penny he's got.

The logical explanation is this. I`m guessing that Foulke is realizing he will never be handed the ball in that situation ever again and he wants some memento of his past.

I was half joking when I said it belonged to the Cardinals.
      Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM.
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Ownership of the Ball Saga Continues

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2522322

Any thoughts?
        Enough's enough?
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

who cares?

they should have let doug keep the damn thing...i mean he was nice enough to lend them the ball for a year...and they take it away from him again. next time i hope he misses the catch on purpose...see if all you ball-takers like that.

Comment

Originally posted by warbuxpr
            they should have let doug keep the damn thing...i mean he was nice enough to lend them the ball for a year...and they take it away from him again. next time i hope he misses the catch on purpose...see if all you ball-takers like that.
            Somehow I don't think that purposely missing the throw to end a World Series would be helping Doug's career all that much.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

they should have let doug keep the damn thing...i mean he was nice enough to lend them the ball for a year...and they take it away from him again.
              I don't know if just by saying "mine" the is really his. Did he purchase the ball before Game 4?

next time i hope he misses the catch on purpose...see if all you ball-takers like that.
              If the Royals are in the WS, no matter if he missed it on purpose or not, would be the story of the century.

Comment

In Foulke's defense, he did make the game winning assist. When you think of that last play, you think of him.

Although, quite frankly, the answer is very obvious. I completely agree with RedSoxVT92, the ball belongs to the Red Sox. What Mientkiewicz did was pretty selfish, but atleast he worked it out with the Red Sox. For Foulke to bring this up again and try to claim the ball is just stupid.

Who cares about the spikes, let Foulke have them. But if he wants the ball, he can #[email protected]
                Last edited by SoxSon; 07-18-2006, 06:59 PM. Reason: Watch the language, seriously

Comment

Question about other "last out balls"....

I could easily google this to find out about other balls, and I figure some WS balls are at the Hall of Fame.

But what exactly is the precedent with the balls? I seem to recall that the status of many is probably unknown. I'd like to hear from those who really know where many of those balls are, or know of any stories about such baseballs.

There are dozens and dozens of balls that were the last outs of WS games, and I don't think any have the bruhaha that this one does.

Doug M. .... he certainly is in a lucrative position by being the lucky, yet random, last person to make that out.

No offense to Doug M. for wanting to hold on to that ball for it's $$ value. But can't he see that that ball has a meaning attatched to it that is worth far more than any amount of money? The honorable thing to do is to GIVE it to the Hall, and relinquish all ownership rights. It really belongs to all the hearts of the players and fans that have dedicated their entire lives and baseball careers to win it for the Sox.

On the other hand...it's just a ball. Every ball from all 4 of those games should be meaningful, as they all contributed to a championship.

my .02

Comment

ball

did the red sox purchase the ball before game 4? do fans purchase the balls that they catch in the stands? did Ian kinsler purchase the ball that he got his first hit on? no, but they all have or want their balls...sound weird but yes

Comment

do fans purchase the balls that they catch in the stands?

When a ball is hit to the fans, it is hit off of the field of play. In that case, it's anyone's for the taking. It's a bit like you throwing something of yours out your window on to the street.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X