Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jonthan Papelbon for Roy Halladay- Good trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonthan Papelbon for Roy Halladay- Good trade?

What do you think? Papelbon will give us more years than Halladay, but Halladay is more professional.
    Last edited by bluejaysfan4ever; 07-17-2006, 11:14 PM.

Professional in what sense? Papelbon conducts himself well.

Pap has also been a starter, and probably will be converted back into a starter for next year (or ought to be, if you ask me), as the Sox are in serious need of starters, and Hansen wll probably be the closer.

No question that I'd like Halladay on the Sox... but trading Papelbon for him? Not at this time, no.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

1. The teams wouldn't make a trade this size within the division.

2. The money isn't anywhere near close enough to make this happen.

3. Fans in both towns would revolt as popular players got traded.

4. It really wouldn't help Boston, filling one hole short term, while opening another.
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

I love Halladay,but no way I'm trading Paps for him.

Comment

This trade would never happen especially considering both teams are competing for the AL East. Why would the Blue Jays trade Roy Halladay, who is arguably the best starting pitcher in the entire divison for Papelbon? The Jays already have B.J. Ryan as their closer, who is just as good if not better than the young righty. Papelbon's future will most likely be as a starter, but there is no telling how the rest of his career is going to work out. Until he begins to start games on a consistent basis no one will no how effective he will be. Also, is he going to hit a rough spot in the near future? Papelbon has never pitched in September amidst a playoff race and no one knows how he will handle the pressure this fall, although the kids is tough as nails and I am sure he will do fine. However, there is a long list of closers in recent years who have been dominant for a few seasons and then faded in to shadows. Hoepfully, Papelbon will not be another name added to the list and he appears to have a better mental approach then several other short term star closers including Billy Koch, Kerry Ligtenberg, and the infamous John Rocker.

Other than the financial aspect of it (Papelbon is making the minimum) it would not be a good trade for the Blue Jays and if Papelbon does turn out to be a front line starter than people will look back and say it wasn't a good trade for the Red Sox, but I would much rather have a PROVEN starter who already has a Cy Young Award, than a rookie who may never win one.
          tylersarticles.tripod.com

Comment

This is a tough one. In terms of AL mastery, it doesn't really get much better than Halladay, especially when you consider the fact that he has proven that he can pitch well year after year. If not for that linedrive in his leg last year he'd probably have 2 Cy Youngs and he could be on his way to another this year.

On the other hand, Papelbon is younger with loads of potential. He's already shown what he can do as a closer, but the question is what can he do as a starter. Despite all of his promise, it's still an unknown what he can do as a starter at the ML level and that makes it a gamble.

So as of right now, there is no way I trade a tried and true ace, an ace that is among the best in the game at that, for a closer, no matter how good the closer is (besides, the Blue Jays already have a great closer anyway). So until Papelbon shows that he can do as a starter what he's done as a closer, I'd hold onto Halladay.

Comment

How many years left on Roy Halladay's contract?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6134
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Tylersarticles
                Papelbon has never pitched in September amidst a playoff race and no one knows how he will handle the pressure this fall, although the kids is tough as nails and I am sure he will do fine.
                He pitched for Boston last September, and even got into 2 games (4 total IP, 2 H, 2 K, 0 ER) in the ALDS vs. Chicago.

Comment

What? Did Dan Duquette suddenly become the Sox GM again?

1903 - 1912 - 1915 - 1916 - 1918 - 2004 - 2007 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                    He pitched for Boston last September, and even got into 2 games (4 total IP, 2 H, 2 K, 0 ER) in the ALDS vs. Chicago.
                    In a BIG role my friend.
                    tylersarticles.tripod.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tylersarticles
                      In a BIG role my friend.
                      You didn't say a big role, or define what "big" is.

He's pitched more meaningful innings in September than say, BJ Ryan has in his career. The Sox even made a point of throwing him into a September game in Yankee Stadium last year to help get him prepped. I'm not worried.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                        How many years left on Roy Halladay's contract?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6134
                        His contract ends after the 2007 season.

I wouldnt want this trade to happen. Papelbon will most likley be a starter next year and he is younger than Halladay. Pap is also a proven closer. The Money differential is too much and I think in the long run Pap will be more valuable.
                        go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X