Offense still on break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offense still on break?

I realize that we generally don't worry too much about the Sox offense around here, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the weak offensive production since the ASB. Is it the heat, or have the hitters taken an extended break? Seriously, 7 runs (at the moment) against the Royals over 3 games? Three of those came off Mirabelli's bat late Monday, and he really hasn't been much in the way of RBIs this season. Say what you want about the starting pitching, the offense has usually kept the Sox in every game, but only Saturday's blowout looked like the Sox hitting we expect to see. :grouchy

Thoughts?

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

I would be more worried, but it seems like the pitching steps up when the bats aren't working right. Although IT'S THE ROYALS, and this should really be batting practice. I did wish that we would have gotten our bats heated up before we went out west.

Comment

This kind of stuff happens peroidically. Im sure our offense will kick start pretty soon. And our pitching latley has been much better. I know we should have been teeing off against the KC Royals, but we won every game, and a win is a win. Also in Oakland alot of hits got tooken away from the Red Sox because of Oaklands defense. We still have all the key offensive players and we just got back Willy Mo which should help. So it really isnt anything to worry about.
      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

If we are still in a funk this time next week, then I would worry. They'll bust out soon, even though they will face some upcoming lefties.

Comment

Someone needs to tell them that there slumping too early...after all it isin't August yet

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
            Although IT'S THE ROYALS, and this should really be batting practice.
            Not to mention playing at home in Fenway.

I guess my main concern is that the Sox should be putting some space between themselves and the Yankees, not treading water. This is a point in the schedule when the Sox need to make some hay while the sun shines. The boys are going to need to return the favor in Oakland to prepare to host the Angels because the next 4 weeks are the lightest part of their sched. The second half of August will become appreciably more difficult with series against Detroit, New York, another road trip out west before coming home to host Toronto and Chicago.

On the plus side, it's nice to see Beckett have a solid outing, even if it is against the Royals in Fenway. At $30 million over the next 3 years, the Sox are going to need to see him bring his game to a new level and keep it there.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Well we are playing against KC...

But next game we will need much more offense. The Red Sox have to start to hit at the right time. We won just 1-0 but we had also 7 hits. That should bring more runs in.
              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

The offense is showing the pitchers that their bats can't single handedly win games, the pitchers need to step up and take the pressure off of them.

Sometimes there's no better way of getting the word out than nearly losing to the worst team in the league...
                Best posts ever:
                Originally posted by nymdan
                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                  I guess my main concern is that the Sox should be putting some space between themselves and the Yankees, not treading water.
                  Seems we're doing that now, at least in small doses.
                  "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                    The offense is showing the pitchers that their bats can't single handedly win games, the pitchers need to step up and take the pressure off of them.

Sometimes there's no better way of getting the word out than nearly losing to the worst team in the league...
                    I suppose that's one way to put a positive spin on it, but as a serious tactic I doubt its value. I don't think anyone, not even you, believes that the offense is deliberately trying to teach the pitching staff a lesson. If anything, that sounds like a recipe for the kind of meltdown the pre-2004 Sox were prone to.
                    Originally posted by SoxSon
                    Seems we're doing that now, at least in small doses.
                    Again, that's a way to put a smiley on it (literally ). But gaining back a game after dropping 2.5 doesn't seem to qualify. I just hope the bats come alive in time to take advantage of the next 4 weeks.

The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                      I suppose that's one way to put a positive spin on it, but as a serious tactic I doubt its value. I don't think anyone, not even you, believes that the offense is deliberately trying to teach the pitching staff a lesson. If anything, that sounds like a recipe for the kind of meltdown the pre-2004 Sox were prone to.

No I'm not serious. Just trying to rationalize what the heck is going on.

I think it's a mental thing. The offense has hit some kind of hurdle mentally that they need to work out in order to get back on track...with the trade rumors starting come about, the Manny idiocy during the All Star break, the pitchers hurting- it's all adding up and taking a toll on the offense...
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X