Beckett Signs Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jager
    That said I hope Beckett develops another pitch in the offseason, he can pitch well right now, but if he can get a decent slider, or splitter going he has the potential to be incredible. Right now with only 3 pitches doesn't help. Who better to teach him the splitter than Curt too, huh. Anyways if you don't know what your talking about as far as Beckett, and pitching at Fenway, and if you haven't watched the games, then you really can't comment on whether his ERA is inflated or not. I assure you that it is, and this is coming from someone who has seen all his games this year.
    Yeah, I actually commented recently somewhere on I was so surprised about his good ERA at Fenway and attrocious ERA on the road. It was the same when he was with the Marlins - good ERA at Dolphins stadium, 2 runs higher on the road. I thought that could best be explained by the fact that Dolphins Stadium is a pretty good pitchers park; Fenway on the other hand is not. So I'm not sure what to think now other than Beckett knows how to pitch to his home dimensions, sort of like how Wade Boggs adapted his hitting style to make the most of his home ballparks, even if they in theory, disfavored him. As for bad starts, Beckett has 6 times given up 5 or more runs, almost 1/3 of his starts, so I'd say it's more than just a few starts he's struggled in. To get tagged like that a third of the time is not very befitting of an ace or consistency for that matter.

Even though it's good that his troubles in the past mostly had to do with blisters and not his throwing arm, that is a concern in one way. It's concerning because in years past the blister problems allowed Beckett to rest up his arm during the year, meaning it would be more lively towards the end. That has not been the case this year as he has been healthy all year. That's why I think the stretch run will be interesting, because not only will he hit new highs in IP, but he'll be doing so after his arm had been used all year instead of having periods of rest. His ERA has gone up each of the last two months which is an interesting sign (4.42 in May, 5.08 in June, 5.33 in July) but it could just be a coincidence as well.
    Last edited by DoubleX; 07-20-2006, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I think Boston is the perfect place for a guy like Beckett to succeed. He's intense, and so are the fans, so it adds to the intensity every time out. He's obviously done well in intense situations, see the WS. As far as Beckett having "troubles" 1/3 of the time, he's only 26. Maybe he never gets any better, but I certainly like his chances, and any way you look at it, it's a great signing for the Sox. If he went to Free Agency he would have gotten much more money. Like Burnett who has much less credentials than Beckett does. Beckett frustrates me right now in some games, because it seems like the good hitting teams like the Blue Jays are good enough where, if he's not throwing his curve for strikes, they can sit on the fastball, and adjust to the changeup, because the changeup doesn't usually drop much. That's the main reason I wish he's pursue another pitch, because it would make them guess a bit more. Especially a pitch like the splitter that looks like a strike, but then drops away. Think about our young guns in the next few years though. Beckett 26, Papelbon 25, Lester 22, Hansen 22, Delcarmen 25 (I think), Van Buren 28 who has struggled with command, but shown flashes. That's a great young core of guys that are in the majors right now. Not to mentions guys like Buckholz, Bowden, Martinez, etc. that will come up in the future. I like our chances with Beckett. It's a good gamble. With that said just to make our young rotation a little better lets sign Zito in the offseason. lol. Although I am almost certain the Yankees will sign him and Carlos Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
        I think Boston is the perfect place for a guy like Beckett to succeed. He's intense, and so are the fans, so it adds to the intensity every time out. He's obviously done well in intense situations, see the WS. As far as Beckett having "troubles" 1/3 of the time, he's only 26. Maybe he never gets any better, but I certainly like his chances, and any way you look at it, it's a great signing for the Sox. If he went to Free Agency he would have gotten much more money. Like Burnett who has much less credentials than Beckett does. Beckett frustrates me right now in some games, because it seems like the good hitting teams like the Blue Jays are good enough where, if he's not throwing his curve for strikes, they can sit on the fastball, and adjust to the changeup, because the changeup doesn't usually drop much. That's the main reason I wish he's pursue another pitch, because it would make them guess a bit more. Especially a pitch like the splitter that looks like a strike, but then drops away. Think about our young guns in the next few years though. Beckett 26, Papelbon 25, Lester 22, Hansen 22, Delcarmen 25 (I think), Van Buren 28 who has struggled with command, but shown flashes. That's a great young core of guys that are in the majors right now. Not to mentions guys like Buckholz, Bowden, Martinez, etc. that will come up in the future. I like our chances with Beckett. It's a good gamble. With that said just to make our young rotation a little better lets sign Zito in the offseason. lol. Although I am almost certain the Yankees will sign him and Carlos Lee.
        I agree, I think it is a good signing and Beckett could prove to be worth much more than that. Burnett is a good example. I think Beckett is the better bet of the two, but he took less to stay in Boston - the Red Sox made what could very well be a great deal.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X