Wake injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake injured

Tim Wakefield has a stress fracture in his ribs, according to today's Globe:

Red Sox Notebook

By Gordon Edes and Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff | July 20, 2006

The Red Sox will have to make do without pitcher Tim Wakefield for at least three weeks, after extensive tests revealed he has a stress fracture in his rib cage, a source with direct knowledge of the injury confirmed.

General manager Theo Epstein would not comment when asked about Wakefield's condition, but the knuckleballer, who turns 40 Aug. 2, is expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Tuesday, the day after he pitched just four innings, leaving after complaining of pain in the area. The source didn't know what caused the injury but said the condition has existed for some time.

Wakefield, who was not available for comment yesterday, said earlier that his back began bothering him June 3 against the Tigers. As recently as July 1, Wakefield threw 112 pitches in Florida. Scheduled to start last Thursday in the team's first game after the All-Star break, Wakefield was pushed back to Monday in hopes that rest would be beneficial. An MRI of his spine taken in Chicago July 7 was negative, but additional tests, including a bone scan and CAT scan, were performed this week when the pain persisted.

The loss of Wakefield comes at a time when the Sox are already without starting pitchers David Wells (knee), Matt Clement (biceps), and Lenny DiNardo (neck). Wakefield has a record of 7-8 with a 4.14 ERA in 19 starts, and the club is 11-8 in games in which he has pitched. His 119 2/3 innings rank third on the staff, behind Curt Schilling and Josh Beckett.

The Sox had put off placing Wakefield on the DL for a couple of reasons: They were awaiting a definitive analysis of the tests, and they also wanted Epstein to have more time to explore trades without clubs gaining leverage upon learning of Wakefield's injury.

Barring a trade, the Sox plan to promote lefthander Kason Gabbard from Triple A Pawtucket. Gabbard, a 29th-round draft pick out of Indian River Community College in Florida in 2000, was something of a sleeper in the Sox' system, going 9-2 at Double A Portland before his promotion to Pawtucket last month. The lefthander is expected to start Saturday in Seattle.

``Nobody has said a word to me," said a smiling Gabbard yesterday in Pawtucket, R.I. ``It's not something I can really think about until someone actually says it. Anybody in my position would love to get up to the big leagues and pitch. I've dreamed about that forever. It would be an honor, but you don't want to get your hopes up and then not see it happen."
    So Wake will have to go to the DL, making a total of 4 starters out of action.

I can't remember the last time Wake was on the DL. He's been durable, that's for sure. When was he last injured? He must have been, at some point.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

That's unbelievable. Four starters on the DL, and we're hanging on to the lead in the East. That says something about our talent and luck.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
      That's unbelievable. Four starters on the DL, and we're hanging on to the lead in the East. That says something about our talent and luck.
      Trial by fire for Lester and Schilling and Beckett took up the slack nullified the others being out, but Wakefield's injury could be a knockout blow.

No more inning eater out there. No more bullpen relief every four days...as if things couldn't get any worse...
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
        Trial by fire for Lester and Schilling and Beckett took up the slack nullified the others being out, but Wakefield's injury could be a knockout blow.

No more inning eater out there. No more bullpen relief every four days...as if things couldn't get any worse...
        You just know Theo's working on a deal as I type. I can't believe that he'll sit idly by while four starters are out. The only questions are Who? and For How Much?
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

You just know Theo's working on a deal as I type. I can't believe that he'll sit idly by while four starters are out. The only questions are Who? and For How Much?
          Ay, there's the rub. How much of The Future do we trade for This Year?
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

They have guys ready to go, they just need a chance.

Look at Lester. They took a chance on him and it paid off- first rookie in 13 years to go 5-0 for the Red Sox.

Look at the bullpen- Delcarman and Hansen are pulling more than their weight.

If they really feel the need to trade then get one guy who will stay beyond one year. No sense trading away a guy who was going to contribute for the next few years for a guy who will be gone at the end of the year...
            Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
              Ay, there's the rub. How much of The Future do we trade for This Year?
              One prospect for a semi good starting pitcher at most.

Anything more is robbery.
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                One prospect for a semi good starting pitcher at most.

Anything more is robbery.
                I agree. "Plus cash" is ok, too. It seems $'s limitless these days.

Comment

"You can never have too much pitching".

- Joe Torre, NY Yankees Manager, July 13 ,2006.
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Thats not good at all. That really is a testimate to how good this team is, as we have a 2 game lead in the AL East. But this could be a major problem. We need to make some moves for some pitching. Hopefully we can get some of our starters back. From what ive heard is that Wells knees are feeling a bit better and Clement is doing better too. Hopefully if they pitch again this year they will be effective. We just cant keep going with unsure starters all the time though.
                    go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Originally posted by RedSoxVT92
                      Thats not good at all. That really is a testimate to how good this team is, as we have a 2 game lead in the AL East. But this could be a major problem. We need to make some moves for some pitching. Hopefully we can get some of our starters back. From what ive heard is that Wells knees are feeling a bit better and Clement is doing better too. Hopefully if they pitch again this year they will be effective. We just cant keep going with unsure starters all the time though.
                      Wow I`m amazed that their being overlooked as well. Everybody is talking about how the Yankees are survivng without Sheffield and Matsui people are forgetting that Boston has 4 injured Starting pitchers.
                      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                        Wow I`m amazed that their being overlooked as well. Everybody is talking about how the Yankees are survivng without Sheffield and Matsui people are forgetting that Boston has 4 injured Starting pitchers.
                        Ya know something, rickey? You're all right. You're able to go back and forth between forums and discuss, rather than smacktalk.

I'd say both teams have their share of DL woes at this point.

Comment

I've been hearing that he should be OK in three weeks. It's possible that he could be back in four weeks at most(an extra week for rehab starts)...

That really isn't too bad, he will be back for the September chase(s)...
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X