Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coco Crisp in 2006

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coco Crisp in 2006

    A post by DoubleX prompted me to create this thread (thanks for the inspiration). I'm partly intrigued because I don't hear a whole lot about Crisp, good or bad, from other Sox fans.
    I'm looking for discussion. How has Coco met/not met your expectations this season? Clearly, he is not our leadoff hitter. Do you think that's more to do with Youk or Coco himself? What do you like or dislike about Crisp as a player?

    You all get the drift.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

  • #2
    Crisp has missed have the season due to injury. That is disappointing. I don't think management ever envisioned him as a leadoff hitter since his career OBP is just .332. They wanted a CF who could play everyday. He's only generated a .725 OPS which has to be disappointing since he averaged an .800 OPS the last two seasons.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

    Comment


    • #3
      Im pretty happy about Crisp.He will be our leadoff hitter in the future. And he made amzing plays in defense. He is not alowed to steal very much he could tough much more...
      His avg. will climb to 300 next year
      I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hey, it could simply be an adjustment to a different division. Last season, Carlos Beltran switched from the NL Central to the East. Coco did the same, but in the AL version of the same leagues.

        If he was hurt, I can understand lessened offense. If he's healthy next season, then I'd expect more from him in 2007. That's it.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

        Comment


        • #5
          He isn't a leadoff hitter like his predecessor, but he doesn't have to be. His place is lower in the line up and as long as he hits and can score runs who gives a darn- he's only a real lead off hitter once a game anyway!

          His speed on the base paths hasn't been too glowing, but he has also had a large chunk of the season taken from him due to an injury. It's still early and he will help the team out much more than he harmss.

          His defense is his standout. He made a few blunders, but he has also saved the game on numerous occassions. He is solid in the outfield despite playing in a tough center field, you couldn't ask for anything better than that from him in his first season.



          Bottom line- I say wait until this season is done to come to a conclusion on him. He needs more time to really show his stuff and judging him now while there is still 61 games left is just wrong. Assumptions will lead to disappointment.
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SoxSon
            A post by DoubleX prompted me to create this thread (thanks for the inspiration). I'm partly intrigued because I don't hear a whole lot about Crisp, good or bad, from other Sox fans.
            I'm looking for discussion. How has Coco met/not met your expectations this season? Clearly, he is not our leadoff hitter. Do you think that's more to do with Youk or Coco himself? What do you like or dislike about Crisp as a player?

            You all get the drift.
            I made that post because I really haven't heard much about Crisp either, which I though to be surprising given that he's filling pretty big shoes in Boston. I've lived in Boston, I follow the Boston media, and I'm a bit surprised about how Crisp just doesn't seem to get much coverage either way - it's almost as if he's not really there.

            I haven't seen much of Crisp play this year, but from what I have seen and from stats, his fielding and baserunning look good, but his hitting looks off - not bad though, and should probably only get better as he adjusts. I like Crisp and didn't think the Red Sox were losing much, especially in the long-run, by replacing Crisp with Damon (especially when you factor in the price). I stick by that still.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DoubleX
              I made that post because I really haven't heard much about Crisp either, which I though to be surprising given that he's filling pretty big shoes in Boston. I've lived in Boston, I follow the Boston media, and I'm a bit surprised about how Crisp just doesn't seem to get much coverage either way - it's almost as if he's not really there.

              I haven't seen much of Crisp play this year, but from what I have seen and from stats, his fielding and baserunning look good, but his hitting looks off - not bad though, and should probably only get better as he adjusts. I like Crisp and didn't think the Red Sox were losing much, especially in the long-run, by replacing Crisp with Damon (especially when you factor in the price). I stick by that still.
              I think the main reason you haven't heard much of Crisp is because Crisp is having a down year. During Spring Training and the first couple games before the injury he was hitting around .440, then he broke his finger, and was out a month and a half or so, and the finger is still bothering him now, although he doesn't use that as an excuse. I think it's different in Boston than say a place like NY where if a guys having a down year in Boston (Crisp) he doesn't get crucified where if you have one in NY (ARod) they are calling for your head. I actually like having Youk leading off, and Crisp down in the order because we can use Crisp's speed more down in the order, whereas it would almost never get used if he hit leadoff.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jager
                I think the main reason you haven't heard much of Crisp is because Crisp is having a down year. During Spring Training and the first couple games before the injury he was hitting around .440, then he broke his finger, and was out a month and a half or so, and the finger is still bothering him now, although he doesn't use that as an excuse. I think it's different in Boston than say a place like NY where if a guys having a down year in Boston (Crisp) he doesn't get crucified where if you have one in NY (ARod) they are calling for your head. I actually like having Youk leading off, and Crisp down in the order because we can use Crisp's speed more down in the order, whereas it would almost never get used if he hit leadoff.
                So what's the status on Crisp's finger right now? Hurting but still playable? I'm sure he must've had to adjust his swing. Not a good thing.

                That whole A-Rod booing this seemed more like a combo of fans acting like spoiled brats who were deemed a superstar at every position, then the whole ESPN hype for his head. One groundout or DP and he was booed. Anyway, I only hope that Crisp or anyone else doesn't have to get this. In either case, it's Manny who's got the highest contract, not Crisp.

                As to speed from the leadoff, what about stealing? Or after a walk, going 1st to 3rd? Scoring from 1B off an Ortiz double? I'd think that speed from the leadoff is definitely important. As to where Crisp deserves to hit, that's a separate thing. I'd think that speed in the lineup from all positions would be great.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jager
                  I think it's different in Boston than say a place like NY where if a guys having a down year in Boston (Crisp) he doesn't get crucified where if you have one in NY (ARod) they are calling for your head.
                  So I guess that's what happened to Edgar Renteria last year?

                  The Boston media is pretty notorious in its own right for being hard on the hometown players.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mattingly
                    So what's the status on Crisp's finger right now? Hurting but still playable? I'm sure he must've had to adjust his swing. Not a good thing.

                    That whole A-Rod booing this seemed more like a combo of fans acting like spoiled brats who were deemed a superstar at every position, then the whole ESPN hype for his head. One groundout or DP and he was booed. Anyway, I only hope that Crisp or anyone else doesn't have to get this. In either case, it's Manny who's got the highest contract, not Crisp.

                    As to speed from the leadoff, what about stealing? Or after a walk, going 1st to 3rd? Scoring from 1B off an Ortiz double? I'd think that speed from the leadoff is definitely important. As to where Crisp deserves to hit, that's a separate thing. I'd think that speed in the lineup from all positions would be great.
                    Normally I'd agree with you, but Youkilis isn't slow, he's just not fast. With Loretta (a fantastic 2nd hitter) then Ortiz and Manny it doesn't make much difference. Then late in the game if we're down by a run you can still pinch run if Youk is on, but if our hitters are the 7-8-9 guys and Crisp hits 7th and gets a single or walk we can really utilize his speed. It actually works out pretty good for us. Especially when Youks OBP is 72 points higher than Crisp's it make quite a difference. Especially since Crisp's numbers are down a bit Crisp asked to be moved lower in the order, and joked that he asked Francona to move him to hitting 10th, but Tito wouldn't do that. lol. At least his spirits are high, and last year after the all star break he caught on fire, and I'm hoping for the same this year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Give it a rest

                      Well Coco hasn't lived up to expectations per se, but he's still contributing (especially defensively) and he'll only improve. I'm glad that the whitesox didn't greenlight the trade (Buehrle for Crisp), because we need Crisp and I don't think we really need someone like Buehrle (who is REALLY struggling as of late). Coco will come through, I know he will. Johnny Damon might be having a good year so far, but he's better off with the Yanks. The 2004 team is overwith, make way for the new champs.
                      Back to being underdogs

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If we could have got Buehrle for Crisp that would be a steal IMO. Buehrle has been struggling, but he's a 27 year old ace lefty when he's pitching right.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KCGHOST
                          I don't think management ever envisioned him as a leadoff hitter since his career OBP is just .332.
                          Actually, management has been quoted as saying that Crisp was originally brought in to replace Damon at center field and at leadoff.
                          I know what you're saying about the .332, which is why I argued for Youk as leadoff earlier this season, but coming into 2006, Youkilis was an unproven commodity, so Crisp was going to be the guy.
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jager
                            If we could have got Buehrle for Crisp that would be a steal IMO. Buehrle has been struggling, but he's a 27 year old ace lefty when he's pitching right.
                            What would we do for center field, in your opinion?
                            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pena was pretty good in CF (believe it or not) for the 40 or so games he started there this season, as far as next year move Pena to RF, and sign a FA like Torii Hunter, Mike Cameron, Catalanotto is also a FA.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X