Red Sox Retired Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.

If they were going to change the rule for anybody, it logically was Pesky. 60+ years involved with the team minus a few when he played elsewhere.
    Rice will get it soon. Heaven forbid he never makes it into the Hall of Fame the fact that they bent the rules for Pesky means that they will bend it for Rice.

Rice is on track to be with the team for as long as Pesky, he's still getting paid by them for his instructional work and broadcasting so he will get it retired alongside him for the long service to the team- it may only take another 30 years or so
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

No wonder why so many players have spoken out against Boston and its fans. No matter what they do it's not going to be enough once their career has ended.
      Many bitter players or players who left on a sour note have stymied that image of Boston but it's not the actual case- many greats actually come back to work for the team or are involved with the development of the team despite leaving town or being fired: Yaz stuck around. Dwight Evens came back. Rice stayed with them even after being fired as their hitting coach. Luis Tiant was traded away and has been one of their best ambassadors to Latino players for the Red Sox.
      Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
        Many bitter players or players who left on a sour note have stymied that image of Boston but it's not the actual case- many greats actually come back to work for the team or are involved with the development of the team despite leaving town or being fired: Yaz stuck around. Dwight Evens came back. Rice stayed with them even after being fired as their hitting coach. Luis Tiant was traded away and has been one of their best ambassadors to Latino players for the Red Sox.
        That's good, it's proof that time heals all wounds. I'm sure there are still players who harbor animosity as there are likely and logically far more players who never had a problem to begin with.

And that really goes for all teams, Boston isn't unique in that and I never meant to make it seem so.
        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

That's good, it's proof that time heals all wounds. I'm sure there are still players who harbor animosity as there are likely and logically far more players who never had a problem to begin with.
          I believe it's more towards individuals than the team or fans themselves...many had problems with the GMs or writers than the fans and those who had problems with the fans were guys whose problems were present before or after they came to Boston.
          Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
            I believe it's more towards individuals than the team or fans themselves...many had problems with the GMs or writers than the fans and those who had problems with the fans were guys whose problems were present before or after they came to Boston.
            Plenty do bring things upon themselves.

If Rice was really that horrible, why has he been back these last few years?
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Retiring #6 is something that has been long overdue. What they should do is also honor Rico Petrocelli at the same time, as he wore #6 with distinction as well.

What's funny is that when Pesky managed the Sox in '63-64, he wore #22...Lee Thomas wore #6.

Now let them retire #14 for Jim Ed Rice and then #25...

sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Im not a fan of this but whatever.
                Originally posted by Domenic
                The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.
                  Jim Rice was one of the most feared hitters for a period of about 12 years in the AL and regularly hit 20 plus HR's which was considered a lot in that era. IMO he absolutely deserves to get elected to the HOF and I believe the Sox will retire his number shortly after he get’s elected.

Thinking about Jim Ed reminds me of a game in the 80's when a kid was hit in the dead by a foul ball and badly hurt. Rice seeing this from the dugout immediately ran out to the field, jumped into the stands and carried the boy to the clubhouse to receive medical treatment. The team doctor said Rice's action may have saved the kids life.

Rice was a quiet man, and sometimes moody, he didn't always get along with the press which may be why he hasn't been elected yet. But he was an excellent player so hopefully he will get elected on the next vote.

Comment

• Rice has had his # retired since this thread was last active. I'd like to see Dewey get his #24 retired

Comment

• I agree about hanging up #24 for Evans. Manny should not be part of the equation.

I'd like to see #6 amended to have both Johnny Pesky and Rico Petrocelli honored.
                      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Add #24 to the right-field upper deck, don't honor it specifically for Evans nor Ramirez, and don't let anyone else wear it in the meantime. Problem solved.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X