X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.
    Can there be an exception stating that players who were fond of saying, "I still get my check!" are excluded from having their numbers retired???

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.

If they were going to change the rule for anybody, it logically was Pesky. 60+ years involved with the team minus a few when he played elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    An acceptable change for a very worthy honoree...nice that they're doing it during his lifetime so he can enjoy it. I plan to DVR (and watch) the ceremony on Friday.

Much like the bending of the rules they did to honor Fisk, I'm OK with this change. It appears that it will be a long time before another number is retired, and if they stuck to their strict critera, it may never happen again.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    In a clear change from the strict policy, the Red Sox will retire Johnny Pesky's #6 on Friday...the timing is fitting, his birthday is Saturday

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...8_9_27_42.html

Leave a comment:

• ColbyPants
    replied
    Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    Personally - I don't think the HOF should have anything to do with it. There are some players who just defined the Red Sox. Players who may not have HOF numbers but who have been solid Sox for a long period of time. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans & Johnny Pesky come immediately to mind. Does any non-HOFer define Red Sox more than Johnny Pesky?
    Sound about right to me. Pesky needs his playing # retired. And the other two in your quote make perfect sense to me. I mean Rice was captian of the team, wasnt he?? That said Varitek would make a good retiree as well, and though I never saw him play, boviously, I have a fondness for Dom DiMaggio that compells me to say his # as well.

TomC

Leave a comment:

• Senor Octobre
    replied
    Wade Boggs
    Dom DiMaggio
    Dwight Evans
    Johnny Pesky
    Jim Rice

Leave a comment:

• brose3312
    replied
    Retired Numbers

Interesting Discussion:

THe following numbers have not been worn since that player left the team, except Pesky which was last worn by the incomprabale Garry Gaetti.

Pesky (6)
    Nomar (5)
    Rice (14)
    Clemens (21)
    Pedro (45)

I think that Pesky will be retired as a life long contribution and I think that is great. Rice will go up when he gets in the Hall. Clemens will as well considering he owns the all time win mark.

Pedro and Nomar were the Red Sox and helped bring back the rapid fan base we know today. People tend to undervalue his contribution to the team not only in 04 but in 99 when he was robbed of the MVP and in the following years. The guy was phenominal and had a Koufaxian stretch from 99-03.

They do need to do something for the WS team especially if it is 2024 and the 2004 title was the last one. (let's hope that is not the case).

Leave a comment:

• natsnsoxfan
    replied
    To be honest, my feeling has always been that they should immortalize the 04 championship team by retiring all the numbers that were worn by players that season after all the players from that team retire, probably a unique view but whatever.

Leave a comment:

• FlashGordon
    replied
    Originally posted by winningtheweapon View Post
    If you retire Wakefield's, then you should retire Nixon's also.
    That's a tough call. I agree that Trot is at least as deserving, but the qualifications for him would need to be bent. But then, doesn't the player have to get a HOF nod to be retired? I just don't see Wakefield making it.

Leave a comment:

• MadHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    If Curt Schilling doesn't make the HOF, but finishes his career with Boston, do you think his number should be retired, using your criteria?
    Absolutely not. He hasn't been a Red Sox player for a long period of time. Neither was Pedro Martinez. Or even Manny for that matter. There have always been players in red Sox history who came in and made a splash. Nomar, Mo vaughn, Fred Lynn, Jim Lonborg, Vern Stephens... it's the players who produced over a LONG period of time while wearing teh Red Sox uniform that I would consider. It's not a HUGE list... it's not even a big list. From the original list that I created for discussion purposes, I would have go with these...

7 Dom DiMaggio
    14 Jim Rice
    24 Dwight Evans

Just because you don't make the Hall of Fame doesn't mean you don't deserve honors and recognition from your team.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Evers
    replied
    I wouldn't add any of these guys' numbers - I really appreciate that the Red Sox are have such a high threshold for what constitutes a player who deserves to have his number retired.

Clemens, Boggs, Papi, Schilling, Wakefield, etc. all have their place in Red Sox lore, but in no way deserve to be considered with Williams, Doerr, Cronin, and Yaz.

And as others in this thread have expressed, if I were to take any action it would be to pull Fisk's down.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    Personally - I don't think the HOF should have anything to do with it. There are some players who just defined the Red Sox. Players who may not have HOF numbers but who have been solid Sox for a long period of time. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans & Johnny Pesky come immediately to mind. Does any non-HOFer define Red Sox more than Johnny Pesky?

When Jason Varitek retires, he probably won't make the Hall... but he's the captain, and has done much to define the Red Sox for an entire generation of Red Sox fans - even being an integral part of their first WS win in 86 years! Would his number not deserve being retired by the Sox organization even if he doesn't make the Hall?
    If Curt Schilling doesn't make the HOF, but finishes his career with Boston, do you think his number should be retired, using your criteria?

Johnny Pesky has been part of the Red Sox organization for so long, I can see him being the one exception to the rule they have.

Leave a comment:

• MadHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by sharrock View Post
    I'm still not used to seeing Fisk there, and not sure if I think he deserves it even though he and I were born in the same part of Vermont so I always followed his career.

If Boggs or Clemens had stayed with the Red Sox, they would be up there. But they didnt, which is their right.

I like there to be a high threshold for retired numbers.
    I agree - I don't agree with Fisk either. Seems the Sox brass was so antsy to get Fisk to wear the "B" on his cap in the Hall that they bought him out by retiring his number. I can see naming the left field pole the "Fisk Pole" (though I think "Pudge Poll" would have been better).

Leave a comment:

• MadHatter
    replied

When Jason Varitek retires, he probably won't make the Hall... but he's the captain, and has done much to define the Red Sox for an entire generation of Red Sox fans - even being an integral part of their first WS win in 86 years! Would his number not deserve being retired by the Sox organization even if he doesn't make the Hall?

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Dog
    replied
    With the current criteria the Sox use to retire numbers, the HOF and min. 10 yrs with the Sox,...

I would add Boggs and Clemens. If Boggs is never added, then Clemens will be passed by as well. If Rice makes the HOF and his time is running out, he'll probably be added as well.

Some of you mentioned your "personal" criteria for retiring Sox numbers. Interesting to hear some. :cap:

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X