X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThanksTheo
    replied
    What numbers should be retired?

Probably none, for the reasons already mentioned (strict standards, which I agree with).

But if I had a 'personal' set of retired numbers (based on my requirements), I'd probably add Evans. His limited tenure with the O's was insignificant enough for me. I'd consider Rice too, but he'd come after Evans I think. Dom would be borderline, but probably next on the list. Fisk ought not be there.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    Originally posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
    I think Wake' should be when he retires. Other than the guys you listed, I dunno, maybe Tony C.?

Seriously guys, you don't retire numbers because of what could have been (in the case of Tony C) or because they were long tenured (Wakefield). They need to be elite players that did it for a long time, and personally I think they should have done most of it with the Sox. I could see retiring Boggs or Clemens, but I just don't like it because they went to the Yankees. That just leaves a sour taste in my mouth with both of them.

Rice was a very good player, but IMO not good enough to warrant retiring his number. They have to be elite. Personally I don't think any of the above mentioned are in a class with the retired numbers of the Sox.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Casey
    replied
    Under the currents standards for retiring #s for the Red Sox, Wade Boggs is the only one who meets the criteria (in the Hall of Fame, played at least 10 years with the Sox). Clemens will have the same qualifications once he retires and is inducted in the HoF. I say retire both their numbers (I don't care who they played for after the Sox) but keep the same strict standards.

Leave a comment:

• winningtheweapon
    replied
    Originally posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
    I think Wake' should be when he retires. Other than the guys you listed, I dunno, maybe Tony C.?
    If you retire Wakefield's, then you should retire Nixon's also.

Leave a comment:

• natsnsoxfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mike D.
    replied
    On the list, I'd say Rice and Evans have the best shot. Rice was a lifetime Red Sox, and Evans SHOULD have been, but he spent a little time in Baltimore at the end. Both great players, borderline Hall of Fame candidates.

Leave a comment:

• sharrock
    replied
    I'm still not used to seeing Fisk there, and not sure if I think he deserves it even though he and I were born in the same part of Vermont so I always followed his career.

If Boggs or Clemens had stayed with the Red Sox, they would be up there. But they didnt, which is their right.

I like there to be a high threshold for retired numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    None honestly. Clemens is by far the best on there, but I don't consider him a Red Sox player anymore. He's dead to me, and he can retire a Yankee for all I care.

Leave a comment:

• winningtheweapon
    replied
    Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
    I know the Red Sox are very particular about their retired numbers. But who would you add?

24 Dwight Evans
    14 Jim Rice
    21 Roger Clemens
    17 Dick Radatz
    11 Frank Malzone
    7 Dom DiMaggio

Thoughts?

I would pick Jim Rice.

Leave a comment:

• MadHatter
    replied
    I know the Red Sox are very particular about their retired numbers. But who would you add?

24 Dwight Evans
    14 Jim Rice
    21 Roger Clemens
    17 Dick Radatz
    11 Frank Malzone
    7 Dom DiMaggio

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• NYMets523
    replied
    They should definitely get rid of #3. They should also consider limiting the number of years in #2. It's impossible for a player to end their career with their team because of free agency. And playing there for 10 years is also very difficult because of free agency.

Leave a comment:

• Sankhara-dukkha
    replied
    The way I like to think about the retired numbers is to make it completely unnavailable to anyone and only when someone is so deserving that you can't ignore it do you consider the possibility of retiring it.

Roger Clemens' number will one day be retired in Fenway.

Rules or no rules, they'll find a way. Wether it means giving him a front office job or do what they did with Jeff Nelson with the yankees (a minor league contract so he could retire a yankee) or if they actually pull a miracle and sign him for this year. I don't think they need to change the rules to get him in.

Leave a comment:

• SoxSon
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnny Evers
    Chris makes a good point. I think this should come down to the question "was this guy a Red Sox hero?" Williams was, Yaz was, and Ortiz is right now.

Gar! Why should a Yankee fan get credit for something I said back in post #3?! :grouchy

Just kidding. A player's contributions to a particular team should definitely be taken into consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Evers
    replied
    Chris makes a good point. I think this should come down to the question "was this guy a Red Sox hero?" Williams was, Yaz was, and Ortiz is right now.

Leave a comment:

• GotMelk?
    replied
    I think you have to go to the HOF with the teams Cap on to have their number retierd.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X