No announcement yet.

Red Sox Retired Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They should definitely get rid of #3. They should also consider limiting the number of years in #2. It's impossible for a player to end their career with their team because of free agency. And playing there for 10 years is also very difficult because of free agency.
    "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

• I know the Red Sox are very particular about their retired numbers. But who would you add?

24 Dwight Evans
      14 Jim Rice
      21 Roger Clemens
      17 Dick Radatz
      11 Frank Malzone
      7 Dom DiMaggio

Thoughts?
      sigpic
      Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
      Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

• Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        I know the Red Sox are very particular about their retired numbers. But who would you add?

24 Dwight Evans
        14 Jim Rice
        21 Roger Clemens
        17 Dick Radatz
        11 Frank Malzone
        7 Dom DiMaggio

Thoughts?

I would pick Jim Rice.

Comment

• None honestly. Clemens is by far the best on there, but I don't consider him a Red Sox player anymore. He's dead to me, and he can retire a Yankee for all I care.

Comment

• I'm still not used to seeing Fisk there, and not sure if I think he deserves it even though he and I were born in the same part of Vermont so I always followed his career.

If Boggs or Clemens had stayed with the Red Sox, they would be up there. But they didnt, which is their right.

I like there to be a high threshold for retired numbers.

Comment

• On the list, I'd say Rice and Evans have the best shot. Rice was a lifetime Red Sox, and Evans SHOULD have been, but he spent a little time in Baltimore at the end. Both great players, borderline Hall of Fame candidates.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• I think Wake' should be when he retires. Other than the guys you listed, I dunno, maybe Tony C.?
                "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Comment

• Originally posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
                  I think Wake' should be when he retires. Other than the guys you listed, I dunno, maybe Tony C.?
                  If you retire Wakefield's, then you should retire Nixon's also.

Comment

• Under the currents standards for retiring #s for the Red Sox, Wade Boggs is the only one who meets the criteria (in the Hall of Fame, played at least 10 years with the Sox). Clemens will have the same qualifications once he retires and is inducted in the HoF. I say retire both their numbers (I don't care who they played for after the Sox) but keep the same strict standards.
                    "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

• Originally posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
                      I think Wake' should be when he retires. Other than the guys you listed, I dunno, maybe Tony C.?

Seriously guys, you don't retire numbers because of what could have been (in the case of Tony C) or because they were long tenured (Wakefield). They need to be elite players that did it for a long time, and personally I think they should have done most of it with the Sox. I could see retiring Boggs or Clemens, but I just don't like it because they went to the Yankees. That just leaves a sour taste in my mouth with both of them.

Rice was a very good player, but IMO not good enough to warrant retiring his number. They have to be elite. Personally I don't think any of the above mentioned are in a class with the retired numbers of the Sox.

Comment

• What numbers should be retired?

Probably none, for the reasons already mentioned (strict standards, which I agree with).

But if I had a 'personal' set of retired numbers (based on my requirements), I'd probably add Evans. His limited tenure with the O's was insignificant enough for me. I'd consider Rice too, but he'd come after Evans I think. Dom would be borderline, but probably next on the list. Fisk ought not be there.

Comment

• With the current criteria the Sox use to retire numbers, the HOF and min. 10 yrs with the Sox,...

I would add Boggs and Clemens. If Boggs is never added, then Clemens will be passed by as well. If Rice makes the HOF and his time is running out, he'll probably be added as well.

Some of you mentioned your "personal" criteria for retiring Sox numbers. Interesting to hear some. :cap:

Comment

• Personally - I don't think the HOF should have anything to do with it. There are some players who just defined the Red Sox. Players who may not have HOF numbers but who have been solid Sox for a long period of time. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans & Johnny Pesky come immediately to mind. Does any non-HOFer define Red Sox more than Johnny Pesky?

When Jason Varitek retires, he probably won't make the Hall... but he's the captain, and has done much to define the Red Sox for an entire generation of Red Sox fans - even being an integral part of their first WS win in 86 years! Would his number not deserve being retired by the Sox organization even if he doesn't make the Hall?
                            sigpic
                            Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
                            Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

• Originally posted by sharrock View Post
                              I'm still not used to seeing Fisk there, and not sure if I think he deserves it even though he and I were born in the same part of Vermont so I always followed his career.

If Boggs or Clemens had stayed with the Red Sox, they would be up there. But they didnt, which is their right.

I like there to be a high threshold for retired numbers.
                              I agree - I don't agree with Fisk either. Seems the Sox brass was so antsy to get Fisk to wear the "B" on his cap in the Hall that they bought him out by retiring his number. I can see naming the left field pole the "Fisk Pole" (though I think "Pudge Poll" would have been better).
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                                Personally - I don't think the HOF should have anything to do with it. There are some players who just defined the Red Sox. Players who may not have HOF numbers but who have been solid Sox for a long period of time. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans & Johnny Pesky come immediately to mind. Does any non-HOFer define Red Sox more than Johnny Pesky?

When Jason Varitek retires, he probably won't make the Hall... but he's the captain, and has done much to define the Red Sox for an entire generation of Red Sox fans - even being an integral part of their first WS win in 86 years! Would his number not deserve being retired by the Sox organization even if he doesn't make the Hall?
                                If Curt Schilling doesn't make the HOF, but finishes his career with Boston, do you think his number should be retired, using your criteria?

Johnny Pesky has been part of the Red Sox organization for so long, I can see him being the one exception to the rule they have.
                                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X