No announcement yet.

Red Sox Retired Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't add any of these guys' numbers - I really appreciate that the Red Sox are have such a high threshold for what constitutes a player who deserves to have his number retired.

Clemens, Boggs, Papi, Schilling, Wakefield, etc. all have their place in Red Sox lore, but in no way deserve to be considered with Williams, Doerr, Cronin, and Yaz.

And as others in this thread have expressed, if I were to take any action it would be to pull Fisk's down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      If Curt Schilling doesn't make the HOF, but finishes his career with Boston, do you think his number should be retired, using your criteria?
      Absolutely not. He hasn't been a Red Sox player for a long period of time. Neither was Pedro Martinez. Or even Manny for that matter. There have always been players in red Sox history who came in and made a splash. Nomar, Mo vaughn, Fred Lynn, Jim Lonborg, Vern Stephens... it's the players who produced over a LONG period of time while wearing teh Red Sox uniform that I would consider. It's not a HUGE list... it's not even a big list. From the original list that I created for discussion purposes, I would have go with these...

7 Dom DiMaggio
      14 Jim Rice
      24 Dwight Evans

Just because you don't make the Hall of Fame doesn't mean you don't deserve honors and recognition from your team.
      sigpic
      Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
      Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

• Originally posted by winningtheweapon View Post
        If you retire Wakefield's, then you should retire Nixon's also.
        That's a tough call. I agree that Trot is at least as deserving, but the qualifications for him would need to be bent. But then, doesn't the player have to get a HOF nod to be retired? I just don't see Wakefield making it.

2007 World Series Champions
        The Boston Red Sox

Comment

• To be honest, my feeling has always been that they should immortalize the 04 championship team by retiring all the numbers that were worn by players that season after all the players from that team retire, probably a unique view but whatever.
          "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Comment

• Retired Numbers

Interesting Discussion:

THe following numbers have not been worn since that player left the team, except Pesky which was last worn by the incomprabale Garry Gaetti.

Pesky (6)
            Nomar (5)
            Rice (14)
            Clemens (21)
            Pedro (45)

I think that Pesky will be retired as a life long contribution and I think that is great. Rice will go up when he gets in the Hall. Clemens will as well considering he owns the all time win mark.

Pedro and Nomar were the Red Sox and helped bring back the rapid fan base we know today. People tend to undervalue his contribution to the team not only in 04 but in 99 when he was robbed of the MVP and in the following years. The guy was phenominal and had a Koufaxian stretch from 99-03.

They do need to do something for the WS team especially if it is 2024 and the 2004 title was the last one. (let's hope that is not the case).
            "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

Comment

• Wade Boggs
              Dom DiMaggio
              Dwight Evans
              Johnny Pesky
              Jim Rice
              "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

• Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                Personally - I don't think the HOF should have anything to do with it. There are some players who just defined the Red Sox. Players who may not have HOF numbers but who have been solid Sox for a long period of time. Jim Rice, Dwight Evans & Johnny Pesky come immediately to mind. Does any non-HOFer define Red Sox more than Johnny Pesky?
                Sound about right to me. Pesky needs his playing # retired. And the other two in your quote make perfect sense to me. I mean Rice was captian of the team, wasnt he?? That said Varitek would make a good retiree as well, and though I never saw him play, boviously, I have a fondness for Dom DiMaggio that compells me to say his # as well.

TomC
                Author of The Smoking Lounge
                sigpic

Comment

• In a clear change from the strict policy, the Red Sox will retire Johnny Pesky's #6 on Friday...the timing is fitting, his birthday is Saturday

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...8_9_27_42.html
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• An acceptable change for a very worthy honoree...nice that they're doing it during his lifetime so he can enjoy it. I plan to DVR (and watch) the ceremony on Friday.

Much like the bending of the rules they did to honor Fisk, I'm OK with this change. It appears that it will be a long time before another number is retired, and if they stuck to their strict critera, it may never happen again.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.

If they were going to change the rule for anybody, it logically was Pesky. 60+ years involved with the team minus a few when he played elsewhere.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.
                        Can there be an exception stating that players who were fond of saying, "I still get my check!" are excluded from having their numbers retired???
                        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                          Can there be an exception stating that players who were fond of saying, "I still get my check!" are excluded from having their numbers retired???
                          Not as long as he still is getting a check with them.

Almost 20 years of productive service, going to the HOF while playing his career entirely in Boston, and that's what he's reduced to?
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

How soon until #14 is retired? His election to the HOF is all but certain.
                            Very true...I was thinking "after Rice", but didn't type it. He's very likely to be elected to the HOF this winter, fullfilling his last requirement for number retirement. The fact that he's stayed in the game working with the Sox broadcasting team and seems far less surley in his old age can't hurt any!
                            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Not as long as he still is getting a check with them.

Almost 20 years of productive service, going to the HOF while playing his career entirely in Boston, and that's what he's reduced to?
                              You're talking like he's already in and on the facade...maybe you could let the voters and Bosox decide??
                              I see Rice as a very good, not great, hitter and good, not very good, LFer at his best who was incredibly overrated as a hitter, and a surly, nasty person to everybody while he was playing. He must have realized that masking his personality would let him make some money on TV, just like he finally realized around '86 that trying to work the count a little would extend his playing career some.
                              I just remember Rice's playing days too clearly to like him, and it bugs me that a great hitter (with some issues of his own) like Dick Allen is ignored while Rice gets propped up. If Rice makes the HOF and ends up with his number on the facade, that's fine...I'm just not cheering for him, that's all.
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                                You're talking like he's already in and on the facade...maybe you could let the voters and Bosox decide??
                                I see Rice as a very good, not great, hitter and good, not very good, LFer at his best who was incredibly overrated as a hitter, and a surly, nasty person to everybody while he was playing. He must have realized that masking his personality would let him make some money on TV, just like he finally realized around '86 that trying to work the count a little would extend his playing career some.
                                I just remember Rice's playing days too clearly to like him, and it bugs me that a great hitter (with some issues of his own) like Dick Allen is ignored while Rice gets propped up. If Rice makes the HOF and ends up with his number on the facade, that's fine...I'm just not cheering for him, that's all.
                                He did draw 72% or the votes last year. I'm just calling the inevitable.

Rice was nasty and surly and you bring out Allen? Allen might have been a great hitter but he seemed to have sabotaged his career, going from team to team because of his attitude issues and probably having it end before it should have.

No wonder why so many players have spoken out against Boston and its fans. No matter what they do it's not going to be enough once their career has ended.
                                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X