Sox Retired Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox Retired Numbers?

The Sox have retired the numbers of Bobby Doerr, Joe Cronin, Carl Yastrzemski, Ted Williams, and Carlton Fisk. This is a pretty good group, but do you think the Sox should pay any other former players this honor?

Some names that came to mind (not that they all should be retired, just some players I might consider if I were to open the gates a little more):

Wade Boggs (Is his number being retired?)
    Jim Rice
    Dwight Evans
    Fred Lynn
    Luis Tiant
    Johnny Pesky
    Dom DiMaggio
    Mo Vaughn
    Jimmie Foxx
    Lefty Grove

And maybe a note about guys like Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Jimmy Collins, and even Babe Ruth (since they didn't have numbers)

There used to be some strict guidelines for retiring numbers in Boston (Hall of Fame, must retire in Red Sox uniform, probably # of years)

They threw 'em out the window to retire Fisk's of course, so anything can happen.

Last year, there were rumors of retiring Tony Conligliaro's number soon, and if that's done, a few more Red Sox legends may be following suit.

'Course, what do I know? I think my first post here was had something to do with retiring number 5 someday.
    "Endlessly deferred redemption provides, paradoxically enough, its own kind of reward... It tests our faith and marks us as spiritually stronger than other fans for whom entrance into heaven is a far cheaper thing."
    -Scott Stossel

Comment

Tony Conligliaro (along with Rico Petrocelli) actually sprang to mind. From living in Boston, I know both have a special place in the heart of Red Sox Nation (well for the part of Red Sox Nation that didn't jump on the bandwagon in the past four or five years - there is a lot of that...Same can be said about Yankee fans jumping on the bandwagon in the late 90s).

Anywho, decided not to include them because I figured there were some better and more tenured candidates. Jim Rice and Dwight Evans were really the first non-Wade Boggs players to come to mind as most deserving of the honor. Both had fairly long and very productive careers with the Red Sox, and with the exception of Evans' last year in Baltimore, both spent their entire careers with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
        And maybe a note about guys like Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Jimmy Collins, and even Babe Ruth (since they didn't have numbers)
        All of those I agree with except Cy Young. Didn't thave the numbers? Tied for most wins in a Red Sox/American's uniform with 192? I know this is only a small bit of his 511 career wins, but as far as the Red Sox are concerned he is their all time leader in wins. I not saying his number should be retired, it's just hard to brush him off as not having the numbers.
        "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
        -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
          All of those I agree with except Cy Young. Didn't thave the numbers? Tied for most wins in a Red Sox/American's uniform with 192? I know this is only a small bit of his 511 career wins, but as far as the Red Sox are concerned he is their all time leader in wins. I not saying his number should be retired, it's just hard to brush him off as not having the numbers.
          I think he means they didn't wear numbers on thier jerseys.
          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
            I think he means they didn't wear numbers on thier jerseys.
            Yup I was.

Comment

Wade Boggs (Is his number being retired?)
              Jim Rice
              Dwight Evans
              Fred Lynn
              Luis Tiant
              Johnny Pesky
              Dom DiMaggio
              Mo Vaughn
              Jimmie Foxx
              Lefty Grove
              For my Red Sox heart, the franchise should retire the numbers of Rice, Evans and Dom DiMaggio.
              Mo Vaughn although a fan favorite, didn't remained lots of years in our club. Same thing with Jimmy Foxx.
              Lefty Grove is more identified with the A's. The Oakland A's should retire all the Philadelphia A's famous numbers (like Simmons, Grove, Foxx, Cochrane...)

One thing always I liked from my NL favorite club, the SF Giants is that they retired the non-numbered idols like McGraw and Mathewson.
              They played for the Giants when they were unnumbered in NYC.
              The Giants people simply put an interlocked Mets-styled "NY" with their last names.

We should put Young, Speaker, Collins, Joe Wood, Ruth, etc with the Red Stockings' logo.
              Last edited by Swiss; 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM.

Comment

My mistake, lol i apologize. You're right in tht fact of course. I'll have to read more carfully in the future.
                "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                -Don Fehr

Comment

Roger Clemens when he finally retires. Had hist best season in a Red Sox uniform. Let bygones be bygones.

Comment

Nomar, Pedro, and Clemens should be retired.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                      Nomar, Pedro, and Clemens should be retired.

Nomar and Pedro didn't play in Boston long enough to have thier numbers retired.

I would like to see Jim Rice's number retired.
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I get the feeling that Boston fans would readily retire Curt Schilling's number at this point.

Comment

I think that the fewer numbers the Red Sox retire, the better. We don't want Fenway to become a littered boneyard like a certain other stadium, do we?

Comment

Mmmhhh... about Clemens... I agree to retire his number in Fenway Park.
                            If they retired the Boggs' number, why not the Clemens' number? Once Clemens used to be the face of the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                              I think that the fewer numbers the Red Sox retire, the better. We don't want Fenway to become a littered boneyard like a certain other stadium, do we?
                              I agree, the Yankees (assuming that is who you are talking about) have gone a bit overboard with the numbers retiring. However, I don't see anything wrong with honoring tradition. I think there are too many teams that don't properly honor their past. The Athletics are a great example. It's as if the team totally disavows some of its great history in Philalephia. Is there any mention in Oakland of Connie Mack, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, Al Simmons, Mickey Cochrane, Eddie Collins, Frank Baker, Eddie Plank, Rube Waddell, and Chief Bender? I don't believe so. Heck, it wasn't even until a year or two ago that the team finally acknowledged Reggie Jackson.

That being said, I think the Red Sox have done a pretty good job honoring their heroes. Jim Rice probably deserves the honor too, but I think the case for anyone else (such as Dwight Evans and Dom DiMaggio) is not as strong as Rice's.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X