• Show
Clear All

• Putting together the best team for the money

I guess the trick is getting the biggest bang for the buck..and trying
    not to over pay for certain guys....and if possible, keep a decent
    balance of youth VS experience..not overloading one's club with
    too many guys pushing 40, or little beyond...Nothing like having a
    ballclub get real old--real fast...I like Rogers for the Tigers, but at
    the moment, he looks like he's going into his annual 2nd half swoon..
    so Leyland will have to try and keep Kenny fresh...maybe limit his
    innings...After his contract ends in 2007, I would be leery about
    signing him again for the big bucks..unless it was some sort of
    super deal that favours the club...Sometimes, skills go south, and
    inna hurry...Look at Bonds..two seasons ago, he looked like he could
    play into his late 40's..bang, last season, the knees went south...
    This season, Bonds looks washed up..can't play the field well..bat speed
    is off, etc...look at his stats for this year....No way the Giants are
    bringing him back...unless for a bargain basement price...

I think teams like New York, are put together poorly...look at the money
    spent..and the results..Daddy George is probably the cause of this,
    and not so much Cashman...George is more into having 'star' players,
    and egos, etc..rather than will it be a good fit for the club...big dif
    between Detroit's roster and payroll, VS the Yankees..
    Is Theo still calling the shots in Boston ? if so, I'm sure he has the
    club's long term goals at heart...and won't rush to over spent on
    Curt...etc....but he won't discard him either...if the right deal can
    be worked out...The trick is...get your farm system up and running
    and producing..after years of being hapless...Detroit's is starting to
    bare some good fruit....hopefully, Boston will do the same..

Originally posted by skeletor
    I think teams like New York, are put together poorly...look at the money
    spent..and the results..Daddy George is probably the cause of this,
    and not so much Cashman...George is more into having 'star' players,
    and egos, etc..rather than will it be a good fit for the club...big dif
    between Detroit's roster and payroll, VS the Yankees..
    Is Theo still calling the shots in Boston ? if so, I'm sure he has the
    club's long term goals at heart...and won't rush to over spent on
    Curt...etc....but he won't discard him either...if the right deal can
    be worked out...The trick is...get your farm system up and running
    and producing..after years of being hapless...Detroit's is starting to
    bare some good fruit....hopefully, Boston will do the same..
    I agree, the Yankees are built pretty poorly and that George is easily attracted by hasbeen bignames rather than players that fit; but let's not forget that they've made the postseason every year since 1995 (would likely have been 1994 if not for the strike), winning 9 Division Titles, 2 Wild Cards, 6 Pennants, and 4 World Series.

I admire the job the Tigers have done putting this team together, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say that they have figured it out while the Yankees haven't had good results. The true test is to see if Detroit can sustain this run for a few years in order to see if this team was put together well and didn't just catch lighting in a bottle. With those young pitchers, I think Detroit is built for the longhaul, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
      I agree, the Yankees are built pretty poorly and that George is easily attracted by hasbeen bignames rather than players that fit; but let's not forget that they've made the postseason every year since 1995 (would likely have been 1994 if not for the strike), winning 9 Division Titles, 2 Wild Cards, 6 Pennants, and 4 World Series.
      XX, the Yankees of 1995-2000 are not the teams of today. They had guys like Brocious (sp?), O'Neill--I hate the guy but he was a gritty player, etc. Those teams were built on chemistry. The teams of today, while still good, will never be like the teams that won 4 w.s. in 5 years.

Comment

I always think it's a sure sign that a team is lacking proper chemistry when management/fans are not quite sure at which position a couple players will be stationed come next season.
        A team with good chemistry is a team which knows itself, and that includes its players' roles.
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
          XX, the Yankees of 1995-2000 are not the teams of today. They had guys like Brocious (sp?), O'Neill--I hate the guy but he was a gritty player, etc. Those teams were built on chemistry. The teams of today, while still good, will never be like the teams that won 4 w.s. in 5 years.
          I totally agree with you. Almost daily for the past two years here in the Yankees forum, I have lamented about the Yankees poor management philosophy of the last few years. 2002 was the big transition year, and to me Jason Giambi is the symbol of all that's wrong with the Yankees in the past few years since he was the beginning. The Yanks of the mid/late 90s were built around good homegrown talent, shrewd trades, good role players, and pitching. The Yanks since 2002 are a team that waits for the longball to come around and save the day. However, this year, because of injuries, the team has had to be more creative and to me, win or lose, this is the most likeable and enjoyable Yankees team to watch since at least 2001. The team plays hard and does the little things instead of just waiting for that big inning.

But getting back to being more on the topic of this thread, the Yankees spending hasn't been a complete failure (at least by normal/rational standards). The team still has won teh divison every year of the post '01 period and a pennant. For as much as people complain, there is more parity than ever in baseball, and once a team gets in the postseason, all it can take is a couple of good starters and some momentum (this is actually what I believe the wild card teams often make it to the World Series - they usually have the most momentum because they are the hot team down the stretch emerging out of the tight Wild Card race, while many of the division winners more comfortably sail into the postseason and can relax a little in the last few weeks of the season).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X