When Clemens goes into the HOF..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Clemens goes into the HOF..

I'll give you his career numbers for all the teams he's played for (figured ERA by adding all ERA from tenure with team and divided it by years of tenure w. team). Under is the accomplishments with the team.

Boston - 382 starts, 192 wins, 111 losses, about 3.16 ERA
    *All-Star, AL MVP and AL Cy Young Winner in 1986
    *AL Cy Young Winner in 1987
    *AL Cy Young Winner in 1991
    *All-Star in 1986, 1988, 1990-1992
    *Two 20 Strikeout Games
    Toronto - 67 starts, 41 wins, 13 losses, 2.35 ERA
    *AL Cy Young Winner and Triple Crown in 1997 and 1998
    *Toronto Blue Jays Player of the Year in 1998
    *All-Star in 1997-1998
    New York - 157 starts, 77 wins, 36 losses, about 4.01 ERA
    *AL Cy Young Winner in 2001
    *New York Yankees Player of the Year in 2001
    *Won 2 World Series (1999 and 2000)
    *All-Star 2001, 2003
    Houston (as of Aug. 2nd) - 73 starts, 33 wins, 16 losses, about 2.31 ERA
    *NL Cy Young Winner in 2004
    *Houston Astros Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005
    *All-Star 2004-2005

EDIT
    Added in stats that were left out.
    Red Sox
    69.77%
    Blue Jays
    2.33%
    Yankees
    20.93%
    Astros
    6.98%
    Last edited by rwolfe09; 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM.

You can check all the stats you want to, there's only one logical choice.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      You can check all the stats you want to, there's only one logical choice.
      Don't leave us in suspense!
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Maybe Clemens will come back next year for his hypothetical "swan song" and win atleast 8 games. Why 8 you may ask..because 200 wins with one team would guarantee his Boston hat in the Hall. Plus 1 more win gives him the All-Time wins lead in Boston (him and Cy Young have 192 wins as a Red Sox pitcher).

Comment

Yeah I was thinking that same thing. There were rumors out there that Clemens was regretting going back to the Astros and wished he would have gone to Boston, then that he wanted to be traded, but didn't want to demand a trade, and the owner of the Astros wanted to trade him, but only if Clemens asked for the trade publically, because he didn't want to look like the bad guy. I'm glad we didn't trade for him though, as it would be a half season rental, and I'm sure we would have had to give up good young pitchers to get him.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
            Don't leave us in suspense!
            I'll give you a little hint below:

Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by rwolfe09
              I'll give you his career numbers for all the teams he's played for (figured ERA by adding all ERA from tenure with team and divided it by years of tenure w. team). Under is the accomplishments with the team.

Boston - 382 starts, 192 wins, 111 losses, about 3.16 ERA
              *All-Star, AL MVP and AL Cy Young Winner in 1986
              *AL Cy Young Winner in 1987
              *AL Cy Young Winner in 1991
              *All-Star in 1986, 1988, 1990-1992
              Toronto - 67 starts, 41 wins, 13 losses, 2.35 ERA
              *AL Cy Young Winner in 1997 and 1998
              *Toronto Blue Jays Player of the Year in 1998
              *All-Star in 1997-1998
              New York - 157 starts, 77 wins, 36 losses, about 4.01 ERA
              *AL Cy Young Winner in 2001
              *New York Yankees Player of the Year in 2001
              *Won 2 World Series (1999 and 2000)
              *All-Star 2001, 2003
              Houston (as of Aug. 2nd) - 73 starts, 33 wins, 16 losses, about 2.31 ERA
              *NL Cy Young Winner in 2004
              *Houston Astros Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005
              *All-Star 2004-2005
              Don't forget he won the Triple Crown in 1997 and 1998 with the Jays.

Comment

Who else but the Red Sox. Wouldnt make alot of sense for him to go in with any other team. Clemens with out a doubt will always be a BoSox.
                go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

You also forgot to list down his two 20 K game with the Red Sox.

The choice is obvious.

He should be going in as a Boston Red Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                    You also forgot to list down his two 20 K game with the Red Sox.

The choice is obvious.

He should be going in as a Boston Red Sox.
                    No question of should, he in all likelihood, will go in as a member of the Red Sox, unless he can impress upon the Hall that he'd rather have no cap at all. The Hall picks the caps now, and while the player can have input, it probably won't do much good. Case in point - Gary Carter is an Expo when he made it very clear that he desired to be a Met.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                      No question of should, he in all likelihood, will go in as a member of the Red Sox, unless he can impress upon the Hall that he'd rather have no cap at all. The Hall picks the caps now, and while the player can have input, it probably won't do much good. Case in point - Gary Carter is an Expo when he made it very clear that he desired to be a Met.
                      Was this whole thing really brought out by that thing about Winfield shopping his cap for $1m to either the Yanks or Padres, and the Pads supposedly paid?

Then there's the infamous story about how Boggs was rumored to want to go in as a Devil Ray. That's gotta be sick.

Comment

I would personally prefer he went in with a Red Sox cap, but I expect the HoF will honor his choice between the Red Sox, Yankees or blank. No way will they accept it if he want the BJ's or Astros.
                        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

More than likely the Yankees due to he won his championship(s) there, but unfortunately, the player doesn't decide that.

Comment

i'm not fully sure why its considered such a sure thing that he'll go in as a Sox. Granted, i started following baseball devoutly after roger had left the sox, which i'm sure plays a big role in my "not getting it"

to me, he clearly should go in as a sox, but most players go to the hall with the team they spent their "glory days" with, and a players "glory days" are generally defined as his winningest days.

but as i said, i was just in elementary school, occasionally going "yay red sox!" when clemens was still there (boston). so maybe if i'd been able to appreciate his days with the sox better, i'd understand that his glory days really WERE with the sox.
                            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Does the player get to choose his hat? If not, Red Sox. If so, whoever pays him the most.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X